Team-BHP - EcoSport with rebuilt engine - Keep or sell?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   EcoSport with rebuilt engine - Keep or sell? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/206120-ecosport-rebuilt-engine-keep-sell.html)

Hi BHPins,

Need quick advice on what to do with my Ford Ecosport.
We are talking about 3 year old Ford Ecosport Ambiante (base) version diesel, with around 30k on the ODO.

Around 4 months ago, my Ford Ecosport, aged around 3 years then, developed strange noises from its engine. On check, it was found out that my car's engine is damaged, with the cause unknown. On further investigation, the service folks figured that around 6-8 valves and 3 out of 4 pistons are damaged. This was SHOCKING news to us as we had neither heard nor expected such failure in this modern day and age of engineering. The cost of repair was pegged at around 1.25-1.5 lakhs!

The service centre initially tried to coax me into paying half of that amount, and the rest will be taken care of by Ford India + showroom. I didn't agree to pay a single penny! I told the service centre folks in no uncertain words that I'll first take it to knowledgeable forms (tbhp), then to social media + top boss in Ford, and then to consumer court, should there be a need. Eventually, I was told that Ford India has decided to waive off the entire amount as a goodwill gesture. My car's engine was eventually patched up and the car was delivered back to me in around a month's time. This was in Oct, 2018.

Now, I don't know whether the service centre was originally playing foul, or Ford India acknowledge this to a freak case and thus have fully fixed my Ecosport's engine (honestly, I couldn't care less as long as the damage to the engine was not overplayed) - the point is I now have a car that runs perfectly fine, but has had it's heart transplanted.

For context - We today have a beater/rough usage car in the garage (Ecosport), and an aspirational one. My other (aspirational) car is the Jetta, which is around 4 years old - and is a cracker! In due course of time, I will have replaced the German with a higher-up German, and kept the Ecosport either as it is, or replaced with a Jap car...in other words, I had no immediate plans to sell the car as such!.

What do you guys think I should do with this car, given the background? Should I sell it in it's prime as there is no warranty coverage? Or should I soldier on with it with a leap of faith that nothing will happen.

Gurus, Mods, well-wishers - Please advise.

Regards,
- A

Keep the car - engines are fairly isolated and would not cause upstream or downstream issues. You have a practically new car. Why not just enjoy it? You will get the same resale value anyway

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhu (Post 4536484)
Keep the car - engines are fairly isolated and would not cause upstream or downstream issues. You have a practically new car. Why not just enjoy it? You will get the same resale value anyway

Considering his car is going to go out warranty soon, I say he should sell it.

What if the issue re-occurs? It will be a hefty repair bill for sure! (Although the possibility is low but I would not take the risk)

Such issues are very rare for ecosport. The issue repeating in the same car must be ever rarer. You have got a new engine in a 3 year old car, so effectively it's a new car (barring wear and tear).

I would say use it tension free. If this problem still pops up, count yourself as one of the rare people and start buying lottery tickets :D

It should be alright to hold on to it. For example, I had a swift diesel that was driven by a driver. Due to faulty radiator relay, the engine overheated, driver did not notice, it got ceased. The whole engine revamp costed 1.4L. Since then I have driven another 50k and gave it to a relative who is still using it without niggles.

Anyway, If it really bothers peace of mind may be you can consider a lateral upgrade, that way you would not loose much capital, otherwise it is a double depreciation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile (Post 4536466)
Hi BHPins,

What do you guys think I should do with this car, given the background? Should I sell it in it's prime as there is no warranty coverage? Or should I soldier on with it with a leap of faith that nothing will happen.

Gurus, Mods, well-wishers - Please advise.

Regards,
- A

Hi,

I have a 2013 TDCi Ecosport , which has run 145k kms till date. I have high oil consumption issue and it's out of warranty. Turbo is Ok, compression is also OK. Now, they say the engine cylinders has to be opened and checked.

High oil consumption, black smoke and drop in mileage are the issues but pick up and engine smoothness are like since new. Quote is 80k - 120k even before opening. I'm thinking of replacing the half engine (Cylinder bores and Pistons) rather that repairing or rebuilding it. Have no doubts about the reliability of the engine. I would advise you to keep the car, from a 1st Gen owner who has run in more than a lakh of kms.

Best regards

Do you have any communication from Ford regarding this issue: that they are aware of it and it was fixed by the dealer. If they have acknowledged it, it makes the case strong for a goodwill warranty (beyond standard + extended warranty) as Ford knows there was work done.

I'd suggest you involve Ford in this so there are no surprises later. Based on their assessment, you'll know just how serious this problem was.

For more accurate advice, you should post the repair bill here so experts will know exactly what was done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4536490)
Such issues are very rare for ecosport. The issue repeating in the same car must be ever rarer. You have got a new engine in a 3 year old car, so effectively it's a new car (barring wear and tear).

I would say use it tension free. If this problem still pops up, count yourself as one of the rare people and start buying lottery tickets :D

I think my post was a bit convoluted. The same engine was patched up with the needed components replaced. For the record, my original ask was to replace the engine altogether, in which I will have definitely kept the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile (Post 4536556)
I think my post was a bit convoluted. The same engine was patched up with the needed components replaced. For the record, my original ask was to replace the engine altogether, in which I will have definitely kept the car.

Initially, I too had a similar reaction to many others - 3 year old car, new engine. Definite keeper - I'd actually count myself lucky (even with the initial hassle). Goodwill warranty and good to go.

But, now that the rather glaring omission in your opening post comes to light, that changes things. An engine repaired (especially to this extent) by a service centre? Nope, I wouldn't keep it - even under goodwill warranty.

Quote:

Hi BHPins,

Need quick advice on what to do with my Ford Ecosport.
We are talking about 3 year old Ford Ecosport Ambiante (base) version diesel, with around 30k on the ODO.

Around 4 months ago, my Ford Ecosport, aged around 3 years then, developed strange noises from its engine. On check, it was found out that my car's engine is damaged, with the cause unknown. On further investigation, the service folks figured that around 6-8 valves and 3 out of 4 pistons are damaged.

My car's engine was eventually patched up and the car was delivered back to me in around a month's time. This was in Oct, 2018.

Had it been a full engine replacement, the story would have been different altogether. But in your case, the damages have only been patched up, not forgetting the fact that the car is off warranty now. In such a case it is better to sell it off for good.

At the current stage, you will a get a price of around 6L for your car. If you are wiling to shell out a couple of lakhs, why not get the base figo aspire diesel? Since it was a beater car, I am not expecting too much sentiments with it, even if their were, you can even go for another Ecosport. stupid: Sell the car to a ford dealer, try for loyalty bonus and other discounts,chose between base Aspire or Ecosport and you get a brand new, tension free car, around the cost of what they were going to charge for the damages they had fixed! lol:

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile (Post 4536556)

If your Ecosport is primarily used within city limits, then keep the car. But if you take it on highway runs, then maybe you should sell it off (for peace of mind).

Apologies in case it wasn't very clear whether the same engine was patched up, ore replaced altogether upfront - it was patched up.

And yes, we don't have much emotions attached with the car (unlike our Jetta!). Also, it'll be replaced by another beater...it's a different topic that my beater definition ranges from Yaris J CVT to Harrier😎

Quote:

My car's engine was eventually patched up...
I now have a car that runs perfectly fine, but has had it's heart transplanted.

I don't quite understand what was done to your car. Did you get a new engine / half engine, or did they overhaul the engine properly, or was some kind of jugaad done to get the engine back in running condition (perhaps using substandard/used spares?) I'm sure you've got an invoice detailing the work done and materials used, and that should solve th mystery and help you take an informed decision about what you want to do with the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 4536612)
I don't quite understand what was done to your car. Did you get a new engine / half engine, or did they overhaul the engine properly, or was some kind of jugaad done to get the engine back in running condition (perhaps using substandard/used spares?) I'm sure you've got an invoice detailing the work done and materials used, and that should solve th mystery and help you take an informed decision about what you want to do with the car.

They patched up the engine after replacing the required components, which included 3 pistons and 6 valves. So, it's a repaired engine with the damaged parts fully replaced.

My entire concern arises from 'What if something goes wrong??!!'..since there was no warranty offered.

Quote:

Well, this isn't an isolated case for Ecosport. Ford India has either replaced entire engine or only engine parts earlier. Keep it as daily car with well timed maintenance.

Please check which engine parts have been replaced & compare those with parts listed in this related thread.