Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 17:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah ,the most indigenous Indian car is a RWD ,but that's not we want,unless Tata comes up with a kei coupe(a la Beat,Sera)on the Nano platform.
Affordable RWD cars(excluding UVs) are sadly rare in india and not available in the new car market,except Amby. I personally feel RWD cars are most suited for India,if we give a little concession to the FE, considering long term running costs,maintenace and a little cargasm in twisty roads.
Only if Tata tries to relaunch the shelved Tata Magna, any protypes of it lying around??
Old 19th November 2010, 12:02   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
LOL, everyone missed the very obvious one. Including me.
Perhaps because it's a 2007 thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Yeah ,the most indigenous Indian car is a RWD
Remember, the Nano is a RWD because it's engine is placed at the rear too. Reason = cost. Most conventional cars have their engines up at the front, and that's exactly where a FWD layout is cheaper, easier to package and safer (the average Joe is better off fighting understeer than oversteer).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 12:23   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

i like RWd because im sort of used to it. In an SUV somehow psychologically i feel better with rwd because I know that a fwd SUV has to handle the weight of the engine as well as the stress of steering. i would feel kind of uncomfortable with a 2wd front wheel drive SUV in slushy conditions somehow but would feel slightly better in a 2wd rwd in the same conditions. However, in an SUV, 4WD would be best all things considered.

having said all of this, the humble maruti 800 when it was launched in 1984 was India's first FWD car and we used to quite envy the little thing the way it used to zip up and down the hills while we chugged along in our old Amby's Fiats and Mahindra Jeeps!!

Most Viewed