Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2019, 17:02   #1
BHPian

Jeep Compass: Engine jerks when pressing the clutch in 1st gear

I am not sure if this warrants a new thread, but I don't seem to have a choice as a search returned me zero similar threads.

I have been driving a Jeep Compass Diesel Manual 4X4 for the last 10 months, and from the start I have been experiencing jerks in the engine when I press the clutch in first gear. Means, I start the engine, shift to first gear, drive off and after attaining a speed of say 10kmph, I press the clutch in order to shift to second, and during the press there is a jerk. Not a violent one, but enough to annoy you.

Now, this does NOT happen every time, but about half the time. Some times more prominent, some times less, some time totally absent. Similarly there is a fainter jerk when am in the second gear and press the clutch to shift to third. No jerks in all other gears. It is really frustrating to drive in bumper to bumper traffic with this problem as I would be shifting between 1st and 2nd gears all the time.

I mentioned this to the SA during the first service and he dismissed it saying it is normal.

What could be wrong? Don't think it is clutch wear as it is present from day one. Has it got anything to do with the 4X4 system?
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 17:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Jeep Compass: Engine jerks when pressing the clutch in 1st gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I mentioned this to the SA during the first service and he dismissed it saying it is normal.
This is not normal, and I dont think it has anything to do with the 4x4 system. I have not seen such behaviour in my cars - even with the clutch at 75k +.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 17:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been driving a Jeep Compass Diesel Manual 4X4 for the last 10 months, and from the start I have been experiencing jerks in the engine when I press the clutch in first gear. Means, I start the engine, shift to first gear, drive off and after attaining a speed of say 10kmph, I press the clutch in order to shift to second, and during the press there is a jerk. Not a violent one, but enough to annoy you.
I think the clutch isn't releasing fully. To begin, get the pedal play and hydraulic clutch actuator checked. And if it does not solve the issue you may need to investigate the clutch pack i.e. pressure plate and clutch plate. Do this when the car is under warranty. This is certainly not normal behavior. If the current ASC brushes you off get a second opinion.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th February 2019 at 17:32.
R2D2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 19:27   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Sticky or broken release bearing.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 19:34   #5
BHPian

Get your engine mounts checked, might have broken due to rough driving! A sure shot cause for jerky engine in 1st & 2nd gear.
Rshrey22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 19:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Get your engine mounts checked, might have broken due to rough driving! A sure shot cause for jerky engine in 1st & 2nd gear.
+1 if there is cold start vibration.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 19:47   #7
BANNED

Can you first try bleeding the clutch and see if it solves the issue? If not then may be the pressure plate could be faulty. I may be wrong so please correct me if I'm.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th February 2019 at 19:49.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 20:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is not a problem with your clutch.

The problem as you've stated happens when you depress the clutch in 1st and 2nd - not in other gears.

This is a fairly common situation and happens when you are not properly timing the release of accelerator with the pressing of the clutch. The car is going from acceleration to engine braking which is heavier in 1st and 2nd gears and not so in higher gears.

Once you get used to timing the depressing of the clutch and release of the accelerator this problem will not arise.

You can have this confirmed - have it driven by someone used to driving the Compass and you will find the problem does not exist.

I would advise you not to have any repairs done with the clutch.
AMG Power is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 20:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

The problem as you've stated happens when you depress the clutch in 1st and 2nd - not in other gears.

This is a fairly common situation and happens when you are not properly timing the release of accelerator with the pressing of the clutch. The car is going from acceleration to engine braking which is heavier in 1st and 2nd gears and not so in higher gears.

Once you get used to timing the depressing of the clutch and release of the accelerator this problem will not arise.

You can have this confirmed - have it driven by someone used to driving the Compass and you will find the problem does not exist.

I do not have any solutions for the OP's query, but considering that its been 10 months since he has been driving the car, he would have got used to the clutch/accelerator play right...
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 20:58   #10
BHPian

It is almost the same issue i face in my Creta 1.4 Diesel. But the problem is it is only a few times and not everytime. Not able to reproduce the issue in front of SAs. I have driven it 23k till now but the problem was there since day 1.
RaSing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 17:36   #11
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass: Engine jerks when pressing the clutch in 1st gear

Quote:

+1

I drive a Compass 2.0 diesel and I have first hand experienced the jerk explained by the OP when I drive a little aggressively off the line or when I mistime the shifting action. It's unnerving at first, but try driving on a very desolate road and focus on timing your shifts, it shouldn't happen.
kaush666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 18:17   #12
BHPian

Thanks to all who have replied.

I don't want the workshop prying open the engine until I am reasonably sure about what the problem is. So no exploratory surgery. That is why I thought about asking around first.

To clear up the air about the problem, the jerk happens as soon as the clutch disengages. That is when the clutch pedal has traveled about 2/3 of its full travel, at that place where you usually slip the clutch to gain torque... That is where the jerk happens. Remember, it is not when I release the clutch, but when I press it.

Sometimes it is mild as if it is a gentle vibration. It is very perceptible only a few times. Today I tried to test it on an open road and the violent jerks only happened about 10-20% of the time. So my estimate of 50% earlier was wrong.

Today I let a friend of mine drive for some time, but he didn't feel any jerks, but I still won't blame it on my driving style as I have already spent 10 months and 8000 kilometers in it. I spent a decade before the Compass driving petrol automatics, so I am relatively new here.

And I don't think it could be a engine mount problem as it has been there since day one (or two), and I think engine mount should shake the whole car as I remember from my Civic (Civics are notorious with engine mount failures).

Let me see if I can capture a video and post.

Last edited by civic-sense : 14th February 2019 at 18:20.
Old 14th February 2019, 18:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

+1

Think of the first gear as more of a crawler gear.

Use it just to get the car moving, and immediately upshift to second gear.

Some folks especially those who are new to high torque diesels, experience this. As u rev through in 1st, and then depress the clutch, this would happen, in any modern diesel.

Try upshifting as soon as car starts to move with just clutch release and zero throttle input, am sure you would not get the jerk.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 18:54   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks to all who have replied.
AMG Power has specified the reason. This happens with many other vehicles as well. Typically, the simplest way to address this issue is to use the 1st gear as a roll-on gear only. Do not accelerate in this gear. As soon as the car starts rolling or at max with a feather touch acceleration leading up to a speed of 5kmph press the clutch and shift over to the 2nd gear. In other words avoid getting the RPM too high in the first gear. You should not have this jerks anymore, IMO.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th February 2019 at 18:55.
Zappo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 18:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
AMG Power has specified the reason. This happens with many other vehicles as well. Typically, the simplest way to address this issue is to use the 1st gear as a roll-on gear only. In other words do not accelerate in this gear. As soon as the car starts rolling or at max with a feather touch acceleration leading up to a speed of 5kmph press the clutch and shift over to the 2nd gear. In other words avoid getting the RPM too high in the first gear. You should not have this jerks anymore, IMO.
That is the theory I am leaning towards.

But it is not practical in Compass to use the 1st gear sparingly. Any speed below 8kmph, the engine stalls in second gear. So can't shift up without accelerating a bit. Or you will have to work the clutch after shifting up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks