Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2019, 11:18   #1

My car's door didn't open in the morning!

I have a 6 months old Nexon XZA+ Petrol. I faced a really weird issue a couple of days back. Early morning I was to drop my kids at school but the doors were not unlocking with my wearable key. Tried with other remote key and also with a manual small key. No luck.

Took UBER for office and called my dealer Panchajanya Auto, Bhosri. They asked me to call TATA emergency since there unit is busy right now. Called TATA Hotline and experience was good. They noted my problem and sent a dispatch within an hour. They said no charges for this service.

When technician arrived, surprise!. There was no issue at all. All keys were working perfectely fine. Car was also starting. All good.

But technician was not able to answer why this happened in the first place. My concern is what will happen if I am travelling in a remote location and this happens.

Has anyone faced similar issue.
sbhalkikar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 23:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My car's door didn't open in the morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhalkikar View Post
Early morning I was to drop my kids at school but the doors were not unlocking with my wearable key. Tried with other remote key and also with a manual small key. No luck.
Did you check with the manual key on passenger side door and Hatch?
Old 16th February 2019, 21:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Did you check with the manual key on passenger side door and Hatch?
XZ+ and XZA+ has no keyhole on the passenger side and hatch. Hatch has a sensor based electric unlock.
knaveen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 23:36   #4
BHPian

This could be just the chip/sensor loose contact. Just give a couple of taps to your keys. In my car Manza, the car wouldn't start some times. When I called the on road service, surprisingly it would work again.

When this happens, I tap my key a couple of times and the chip/sensor connects in the key get fixed and then car would start.
lsjey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 00:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Maybe your Nexon isn’t a morning person. Not everyone wants to get up and go early in the morning!

On a more serious note, isn’t there a manual override to open the door? Sounds really funny that everything is now electronically controlled and hence liable to malfunction. Scary thought really.
Lalvaz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 03:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Maybe your Nexon isn’t a morning person. Not everyone wants to get up and go early in the morning!

On a more serious note, isn’t there a manual override to open the door? Sounds really funny that everything is now electronically controlled and hence liable to malfunction. Scary thought really.
Is the weather very cold? Is that affecting sensor performance?
Old 17th February 2019, 11:05   #7
BHPian

This could have happened because of radio interference. If an equipment nearby is producing strong radio signals of the same frequency as the car's locking system, the key, band or card, etc., may not be recognised. This is exactly why a physical key is unbeatable. It's hardly a chore to insert a key into a lock and twist it!
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 10:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

The relay which supplies the power to Actuators might have got stuck.

The series of signal flow is as below:
Remote -> Control Unit -> Relay -> Actuators ->Door Open /Close

So, even when the remote sends the signal to Control unit and Control unit sends the signal to the relay, the relay might not have operated since it is Stuck. So, doors did not open.

But, I am surprised why the doors did not open with Manual key ! !
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 11:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Is the weather very cold? Is that affecting sensor performance?
Nope. In fact a little warmer than other days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
This could be just the chip/sensor loose contact. Just give a couple of taps to your keys. In my car Manza, the car wouldn't start some times. When I called the on road service, surprisingly it would work again.

When this happens, I tap my key a couple of times and the chip/sensor connects in the key get fixed and then car would start.
Thanks! Will try this next time I face the issue. (Hopefully not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
The relay which supplies the power to Actuators might have got stuck.

The series of signal flow is as below:
Remote -> Control Unit -> Relay -> Actuators ->Door Open /Close

So, even when the remote sends the signal to Control unit and Control unit sends the signal to the relay, the relay might not have operated since it is Stuck. So, doors did not open.

But, I am surprised why the doors did not open with Manual key ! !
Yes! That was the bummer. Maybe I did not try manual key in a correct way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
This could have happened because of radio interference. If an equipment nearby is producing strong radio signals of the same frequency as the car's locking system, the key, band or card, etc., may not be recognised. This is exactly why a physical key is unbeatable. It's hardly a chore to insert a key into a lock and twist it!
Yes! All these electronics making us dependent. After this incident I am rooting for a good old manual key.

Last edited by navin : 18th February 2019 at 11:46.
Old 18th February 2019, 12:58   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My car's door didn't open in the morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhalkikar View Post
Early morning I was to drop my kids at school but the doors were not unlocking with my wearable key. Tried with other remote key and also with a manual small key. No luck.
Happens to my car every time I park outside Revival restaurant on Marine Drive. It's radio interference from some medical facility close by. Happens at the same spot unfailingly. I have to take out my skeleton key to get inside.

Did you try with the actual metal / skeleton key? If it still didn't unlock, then you need to get the mechanicals of the door locking system checked up.

I also hope it's not the central locking continuously "locking" the car. I once encountered it in my car - the minute one would unlock, the central locking system would force a lock again.

Last edited by navin : 18th February 2019 at 16:10. Reason: typo (replaced '=' with '-').
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 15:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Happens to my car every time I park outside Revival restaurant on Marine Drive. It's radio interference from some medical facility close by. Happens at the same spot unfailingly. I have to take out my skeleton key to get inside.

This is a likely scenario. But my car is at it's usual place, in my parking. No unknown cars were nearby.
Old 20th February 2019, 18:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Happens to my car. I have to take out my skeleton key to get inside
If skeleton key is used instead of Remote, won't the immobiliser wake up from sleep? Or am I missing something?

On a side note, if we unlock the Driver's door with Skeleton Key in the 1st Gen of Elite i20 (without projector headlamps), there is no waking of immobiliser (I guess there is no immobiliser). One can unlock the car with key and start the car with push button (with remote in the car) and drive off. There is no Siren.

Sorry for going Off-Topic.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 20th February 2019 at 18:58.

Most Viewed