Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2007, 20:06   #1
BHPian

brake oil leak and Fiat parts

Guys

I am facing a peculiar problem on my Petra. The brake oil leaks slowly and comes to warning level over a month to two. Anuroop Hyderabad first said there is no problem and on my insistence checked to find brake booster is leaking very slow. Apparently the part costs about 6K and they said it'll take a while to get it. I called up autofin, Hyderabad (TATA-Fiat guys). They claim they can fix my car, but I should call them Monday 22nd Jan 07 to find part availability.

Safety is my highest priority and I have two questions in mind.

1. Is there any way to fix this problem without replacing the leaking part ? Like mixing sealant, etc.. How safe are they ?

2. How good is autofin at fixing problems in Fiat (or even Tata vehicles) ? Any experiences, please share.

Regds
Old 21st January 2007, 20:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Since safety is your primary concern you'd be well advised to get the part replaced rather than any quick-fixes.
Old 21st January 2007, 22:28   #3
BHPian

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Since safety is your primary concern you'd be well advised to get the part replaced rather than any quick-fixes.
Thanks for the input TheMag. Guys any experience with this kind of a problem or autofin Hyderabad or any other TATA-Fiat workshops ?
Old 21st January 2007, 22:42   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Thanks for the input TheMag. Guys any experience with this kind of a problem or autofin Hyderabad or any other TATA-Fiat workshops ?
Autofin when they were Lancer dealers left some bolts of my lancer tyre loose after servicing. The car started rattleing after 20 odd kms. I had to call them home. They then towed my car to service station and then discovered their mistake. I wrote a mail to Mitshubhi and they asked me to visit Sureka from next time and nothing else.
Old 21st January 2007, 23:21   #5
BHPian

A scary one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Autofin when they were Lancer dealers left some bolts of my lancer tyre loose after servicing. The car started rattleing after 20 odd kms. I had to call them home. They then towed my car to service station and then discovered their mistake. I wrote a mail to Mitshubhi and they asked me to visit Sureka from next time and nothing else.
Thanks for sharing a scary bit Rodeo. I'll have to start thinking of buying the part from them and getting it fixed at Anuroop.
Old 22nd January 2007, 16:24   #6
BHPian

Hi,

Yes pls get the brk booster replaced and it does not cost 6k at all, i got it changed with for 750/- only with labour and it took only 15 min to do so. Plus the DOT4 oil to top up the level.

1. Is there any way to fix this problem without replacing the leaking part ? Like mixing sealant, etc.. How safe are they ?

Dont ever seal it or try to fix it, just replace.
At times the brk does not work if the cylinder fails to operate.
The reponse of braking is very unpredictable at times when it leaks. it work at times or it does not.

2. How good is autofin at fixing problems in Fiat (or even Tata vehicles) ? Any experiences, please share.

Yes my GTX had same issue, later on the brk ing becomes hard like rock.
I got the cylinder replaced and DOT4 oil top up.
Rest was all normal.

Dont take chance with BRAKES.

Regds,
Parimal B.
Old 22nd January 2007, 22:18   #7
BHPian

Guyz,

is there any one familiar with brake systems ? Why would I need to replace brake booster if there is an oil leak ?

My googling tells me booster merely uses vacuum to push brake fluid to magnify the braking force. Even if there is some gasket or rubber stuff that causes the leak, is it not possible to replace only that part instead of cylinder or booster ? I suspect I am being ripped off, any suggestions/ opinions plz.
Old 23rd January 2007, 00:26   #8
BHPian

hi sreenivass,

sorry it was my mistake about booster price, the quote which you have got is the right one, i was linking it to the master cylinder, which is located over the gear box.

Apologies to all.......
Old 23rd January 2007, 10:08   #9
BHPian

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_vb View Post
hi sreenivass,

sorry it was my mistake about booster price, the quote which you have got is the right one, i was linking it to the master cylinder, which is located over the gear box.

Apologies to all.......
Thanks for the update Parimal. Now I am trying to find out replacing brake booster is the right decision to make ?

Any opinion friends ?

Most Viewed