Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

I thought he was getting more ICE....and here he goes talking about sticky fluids and making bad jokes about other people who make bad jokes like he always does.

How boring!

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd January 2007 at 21:53.
Old 22nd January 2007, 21:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Have also decided to drain the gear oil. Bought 3 litres of ELF gear oil. Am afraid that now my gear box will make bad jokes at me while I drive. (If you haven't got that, nevermind)
Elf where art thou?

Anyhows, Sam pondering as to if your 4 year old Lancer is treated so well on its 4th birthday, how would your teenaged son be pampered on his 14th birthday 18 ~ 20 years from now i.e
Old 23rd January 2007, 08:52   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Elf where art thou?

Anyhows, Sam pondering as to if your 4 year old Lancer is treated so well on its 4th birthday, how would your teenaged son be pampered on his 14th birthday 18 ~ 20 years from now i.e

He has many...that he probably does not know about.
Old 23rd January 2007, 11:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
He has many...that he probably does not know about.
or maybe doesn't tell us about

Old 23rd January 2007, 12:02   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Bah! Some automobile forum, it seems we are now discussing my possible illegitimate offspring, as opposed to car care.

Anyhoos, since it seems I am the only true car lover here, I shall discuss the car-spa further.

Post the flushing and changing of liquids begins the car small maintenence jobs.

I have requested for each wheel to be removed and washed with a soft brush and shampoo. I find this method to be more effective than a pressure spray on the wheels while still mounted on the car. I also find that with the removal of each wheel, it is easier to clean the wheel wells.

Of course, since each wheel will be removed, it will be replaced in the manner of correct rotation as specified by the company. in my case it is thus

Ofcourse, the customary liquid shoe polish will be applied on the outer side only. Quite pointless to apply it on the tread.

I will also get certain small (Boots?) some parts in my suspension checked as suggested by a knowledgeable friend. I also intend to change the chrome bolts on the wheels, this will add a nice overall shine to the alloy wheels.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:26   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ofcourse, the customary liquid shoe polish will be applied on the outer side only. Quite pointless to apply it on the tread.
A strong no to this action. You get tyre shine in the market. If you feel lazy enough to buy...take it from me.
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Sam, we ICEers seem to be cut from the same cloth. I bought my Octy in 2004. It has since done about 12,000km. No oil change, no service (not even the free ones), no tyre rotation. It even drove through 26/7 with no issues. Touch wood.

My driver is not allowed to rev it over 3000 rpm (GTO one revved it to 5000 rpm).

Nothing is broken, why fix it. Every time I visit a garage they fix one thing and break another. The last time my 1996 Astra was in for some minor body work the mechanics decided to clean my $600 1987 Alpine 7385 HU with Acetone or some other similar cleaner now it dont have any legend!

Last edited by navin : 23rd January 2007 at 12:35.
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:31   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
A strong no to this action. You get tyre shine in the market. If you feel lazy enough to buy...take it from me.
Point noted oh kind sir. I will purchase tyre foam.

OK so after the shoes are polished, there will be a few knick knacks to be cleaned in the engine. It will be thoroughly washed, de-greased and dried. As suggested by Rudra, the engine will not be left moist at ay pont, to attract more dirt. Also the AC filter will be removed and cleaned.

After this the car will go for a wax. A beautiful, scantily clad girl will pour cold wax on it and pull out little strips of unwanted hair from the Lancers underarms.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 23rd January 2007 at 12:35.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:40   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sam, we ICEers seem to be cut from the same cloth.
Trust me on this one , no one can be in the same league as sam when it comes to car maintainance, just wait until he comes out with the stories of his maruti omni , clutch meets break .. You would not want to get anywhere near to that ..

Also sam , make sure that to clean the engine they dont use cutting oil etc , because i know a few cases where the car came out looking spic and span and started smoking in the literal sense ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 23rd January 2007 at 12:44.
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:44   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

After this car-spa, everyone will be convinced I love cars as much as them and nobody will believe your horrific tales anymore Stuart McLittle.

Not one person here will believe that I didn't know that engine oil should be changed and I drove my Maruti Omni for 40000 kms on regualr oil, without a top up or change and that the engine was running beautifully on 2 litres of grease and sludge, pretending to be oil.

Who would believe this story now eh?
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:49   #26
Team-BHP Support

When I lived in NY I bought a used BMW 325iX. I used that car for 4 years before switching coasts (and selling the car) no oil change or tyre rotation, that car never saw a garage and was driven every winter weekend to various ski lodges in MA and VT. I dont know how the Germans do it but I've had great luck with their cars (BMW, Opel, Skoda...). Touch wood.
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:49   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
I didn't know that engine oil should be changed and I drove my Maruti Omni for 40000 kms on regualr oil, without a top up or change and that the engine was running beautifully on 2 litres of grease and sludge, pretending to be oil.
Dying to hear that story again from ur mouth this weekend .. Its been ages since psycho , c3po and myself have had such a good laugh .. Btw , where is this garage where ur sending ur car in for the spa-blah blah thingy ??
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:51   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My driver is not allowed to rev it over 3000 rpm (GTO one revved it to 5000 rpm).
Are you kidding? I had redlined her. Sticking to 5000 rpms on an RS is automotive sacrilege.

Quote:
I have not serviced the car for almost 10000 kms now. Yes, please wipe away those horrified looks,
Thats perfectly normal, Sam. Most modern cars have a 10000 km service interval anyways. Since you are treating your Lancer to some goodies, why not add:

1. A really slick number plate
2. Front fogs (factory fit within the bumper)
3. High quality sun-film (or do I remember your strong preference against it?)
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2007, 12:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. A really slick number plate
2. Front fogs (factory fit within the bumper)
1. Good idea, a nice number plate. Thanks.

2. Ummm.... ok, I suppose I have to buy them from Mitsubishi, for them to be factory fit. How much do they cost?

3. No no. No sunfilm. I do not have a strong preference against sunfilm in general, just, on this car, I do not think it will look nice at all. Your memory serves you well
Old 23rd January 2007, 13:01   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I dont like sun film either. it reduces peripheral visibility at night and in the rain.

GTO if you redlined it I must have been closing my eyes.

BTW do cars really need service or is it just a money makig racket? I've got 2 differing views. A friend who worked for Nissan in Smyrna TN said "not really" once every 30k miles is ok, another who worked for Porsche in Zuffenhausen said "yes, regularly". The former was an engineer the later was a female test driver!

Most Viewed