Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2007, 02:22   #91
elf
BANNED

Good job...

Congrats Sam, on a job well done.

My car spa's gonna happen later - am tied up with life right now & need her to be around, not getting her freakin' toenails buffed at some overpriced salon.

And what's all this negative vibe I'm getting?! People keep talking about shoving me into engines & gearboxes... for the last time,
I AM NOT A LUBRICANT!

Last edited by elf : 5th February 2007 at 02:23.
Old 5th February 2007, 02:29   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Sam, is it possible to give the specs of the mobil1 oil whats the grade? and also the price per bottle.

Also for the gear oil i need the grade. My gearbox is acting funny and want to put the ELF gear oil you have put.

Thanks a lot Sam.

My lancer's car spa this week.
Hey!!
Mobil1 5W40 (or was it 5W50, I will check and tell you tomorrow). I paid 650 odd per 1L bottle. At bangalore you should also easily get OWS and Shell Helix synthetic. Both highly recommended too.
You will need 3.3L for the lancer petrol.

The Elf Gear Oil was not so expensive - I think it was a little over 150 bucks a litre, you will need 3 liters for your lancer.
Don't forget to top up your clutch fluid (should be DOT4, same as the brake oil), one common reason for the gears acting funny.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 5th February 2007 at 02:35.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2007, 08:52   #93
Team-BHP Support

Oki will do Sam. Will explore Shell helix or Mobil1 to see availability here.

So far have shortlisted out:

1)Engine oil
2)Engine flush
3)gear oil
4)radiator flush
5)clutch fluid
6)Engine coolant
7)brake fluid

Think that should cover all the liquids.

Ps: Elfie we all know your not a lubricant your more like a coolant or actually more like what Sam described in the meet thread. :-)
Old 5th February 2007, 09:45   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

No need to drain the clutch, but definitely do drain your brakes.

Brake oil is hygroscopic, especially DOT3 (red). Drain your brake system, regardless of what brake oil you currently have. Replace all the fluid with DOT4 (White). Ask your guy to bleed it well.
You will need about 0.5L of DOT4 fluid. Both Castrol and TVS-Girling are good enough.

Use as much as the braking will take and use the rest to top up your clutch reservoir.

I leasrned from Floyd on this forum that just saying Shell Helix, isn't enough. There's a helix range it seems. You need the Helix fully synthetic oil.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 5th February 2007 at 09:47.
Old 5th February 2007, 10:04   #95
Team-BHP Support

Yeah just saw the Shell site:

Shell in India - Shell Helix Products

There are a few types. I am not sure about the grade I didn't see 5w40/50 only 15w40/50.

I'll ask the HM guys if they have the DOT4 grade with them and get the bleeding done. If not I'll have to get that.

Shell Helix engine oil is available at the Shell pump so no problems in getting that.

Will get all this done in front of me.
Old 5th February 2007, 10:10   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell Helix Ultra 15W50 looks very good to me Vid. Go for it.
Old 6th February 2007, 17:45   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
And what's all this negative vibe I'm getting?! People keep talking about shoving me into engines & gearboxes... for the last time, I AM NOT A LUBRICANT!
wondering ... why is elf feeling guilty
Old 5th June 2007, 20:17   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove her to Pune!

It was beautiful. The last 5 or 6 drives to pune were in the Verna. Stupid SpeedBoat.

After the entire verna axle incident, I lost my faith and was uneasy to drive it quick. Sooo.... this weekend I took the Lancer to Pune. First long drive after the Spa Treatment.

I fell madly in love all over again.

Not only was I reminded how amazing this car handles all speeds, the treatment and especially the oil change just made the entire experience a complete pleasure.
Revving at 5000 revs per minute, the car felt like Butter. She kept humming to me and I kept falling deeper and deeper in love.

The wheels kept spinning and the 205's held their own through every turn. Never once did I feel uneasy, or unsafe.

The engine revved beautifully, with the new treatment. Smooth responsive and sounded great, just the way i like it.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 5th June 2007 at 20:27.
Old 5th June 2007, 20:20   #99
BANNED

Hey Sammy,

Do you have 215's or did you make a typo.

Viper
Old 5th June 2007, 20:22   #100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Where are the speedguns and those topi clad cops when you need them most? Btw, sam congrats on the bravery. Next time when you come down to bangalore I shall teach you to drive slow . Dont thank me, its my pleasure.
Old 5th June 2007, 20:50   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
. However, post the radiator flush and the engine spa, the needle refused to go over a quarter mark. The engine is definitely running a lot cooler than it was earlier.
just noticed it today sam, the engine staying cooler than normal may be attributed to the thermostat opened permanently (stuck). common problem after servicing cooling system (flush).

if engine does not reach optimum operating temperature ( around 200 degrees?) , it will not behave properly.

expecting experts to comment.
Old 5th June 2007, 20:56   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
j
if engine does not reach optimum operating temperature ( around 200 degrees?) , it will not behave properly.
No, strike that overly excited statement off, the one I made earlier about temperature needle not going over the quarter mark. It stays below half which I am told is normal.

Besides in case of themostat failure, the cooling system will not activate, causing overheating.

If the fan stays on at all times, it is most probably an internal shorting of the fan solenoid, thereby staying in NC mode, causing it to stay on regardless of temperature.
Old 5th June 2007, 21:04   #103
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
No, strike that overly excited statement off, the one I made earlier about temperature needle not going over the quarter mark. It stays below half which I am told is normal.

Besides in case of themostat failure, the cooling system will not activate, causing overheating.

If the fan stays on at all times, it is most probably an internal shorting of the fan solenoid, thereby staying in NC mode, causing it to stay on regardless of temperature.
Yeti talking about engine vengine ? First 180 on the speedo and now this. Times are sure changing.
Old 5th June 2007, 21:19   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Kiss my car!! Kiss her!!

Photo Art by Rudra Sen.
Old 5th June 2007, 21:22   #105
Senior - BHPian

Rudra sir please, please, please visit Delhi sometime soon. Dhanno also wants some artistic shots of her's taken!!!!!! She'll repay the favour with a nice, fast drive!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks