Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2019, 12:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brand new Hyundai Verna: Annoying clatter between 1,500 - 2,200 rpm

Owner of an SX+ AT Diesel here - this clatter issue has been discussed even in other Verna specific forums and chat groups in detail. I also face above average clatter noise from my engine in this rpm range.

To my knowledge, there's absolutely no solution for this offered from Hyundai. They seem to be having a selective blind eye to these sort of complaints. They simply divert the complaint e-mails to the respective regional service GMs as if it is a specific issue faced by one customer.

One thing is real - the Diesel AT has more clatter than its manual sibling. The difference is much evident from my experience driving my friend's SX Diesel MT, the manual TD car and even another friend's Creta 1.6D MT. I just play music so that I don't hear this noise.

Last edited by clevermax : 1st April 2019 at 12:07.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 20:09   #17
BHPian

Creta CRDi owner here, i watched those videos and the sound seems normal to me, i had the same concern when my car was new but the thing is, you notice this only when the audio system is off, and when you are driving in a quiet environment (inside a housing society or in night), in all practical cases, with AC and audio system on and in regular open road conditions you won't notice this at all and the car is otherwise superbly refined.

Just remember it is not a petrol engine but refined for all practical purposes, i found idle vibrations to be on the higher side, more than my City D which on the contrary is too loud, otherwise no real complaints on the NVH.

Just tell your friend not to worry and enjoy his drive, the Verna is an excellent car and this engine is a gem, tell him to test drive Harrier or Honda City and he won't hear the clatter anymore.

Also, some of the post mention something wrong with the injectors, i personally don't feel that to be the case and if it were so, the symptoms would have been much worse than just increased clatter.
Rocketscience is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 10:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Owner of an SX+ AT Diesel here - this clatter issue has been discussed even in other Verna specific forums and chat groups in detail. .... I just play music so that I don't hear this noise.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Incidenctally, I had diesel grand i10 with 1.1 diesel and there was absolutely no clatter. It was more refined I guess than what you or Mr. Sanjeev and may others might be facing ! Lack of solution from Hyundai is expected though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Creta CRDi owner here, i watched those videos and the sound seems normal to me... refined.

Just tell your friend not to worry and enjoy his drive, the Verna is an excellent car and this engine is a gem, tell him to test drive Harrier or Honda City and he won't hear the clatter anymore.

Also, some of the post mention something wrong with the injectors, i personally don't feel that to be the case and if it were so, the symptoms would have been much worse than just increased clatter.
Incidentally, my friend has Honda city diesel from Feb 2014 ! His uncle, Mr. Sanjeev, is the one who is facing this problem. Honda city does make a huge amount of noise. Infact, after 68K+ kms. and Castrol Magnatec oil in my 2012 Innova, the traditional noise of Innova was reduced. It felt better than my friends' city.

Mr. Sanjeev had a word with someone facing the same problem and the other person suggested to add additives to ease out the clatter.

Hyundai has reverted back stating that the noise is operational sound. Couldn't update the thread earlier as I was traveling with remote connectivity in sections.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new Hyundai Verna: Annoying clatter between 1,500 - 2,200 rpm-sanjeev-shah-verna-problem-2.png  

aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 11:32   #19
BANNED

This is just diesel sound. Hate it.
I have a 1.5 TDI DSG Ameo and it is a tractor.
My 1.2 TSI Polo sounds sweet.
Just a trade-off while buying a diesel, atleast these economy grade engines.
Have driven the Creta diesel AT done 1L and even that was tractor to my ears.
Don't understand why people harp about Hyundai diesels being just like petrol when they clearly aren't. I should know, bought the Creta petrol AT just because of the tractor noise ( less than the VW tho)
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 12:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

I don't find any clatter from the videos! Diesels are bound to make this amount of noise. A new car would be noisy and would smoothen out after 'running in' period. Best solution would be drive it around for at least 10k kms and then check: chances are either you'll get used to it or the engine may run smoother after that mileage.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 13:16   #21
BHPian

I just got a 1.6 Diesel auto from the march batch. I have the same issue. At certain RPM range, i have some knocking sound similar to what you get in the 4 stroke bikes when you lug the engine at higher gears (I remember that from the HH Splendour days) but it tapers off once you start cruising. Its not evident in the video posted but I can relate to what the poster is trying to communicate. My car just completed 1000 Kms yesterday and its been a week since delivery.

I did a 1000+KMs highway run over the weekend and I observed a mild whistling sound when I hard accelerate but it tapers off once the car goes into cruise mode. Its very mild and you need to be in a quiet road and with music off to hear it, but its evidently there and rears its ugly head only during heavy acceleration. I tried the same on a parked car by pressing the accelerator, but I don't hear it with the bonnet open. I will post the details in a separate post. The auto box doesnt seem to place nice with even a medium (not heavy) right-foot. It seems one needs to be really gentle with it.

PS : I have a Vento TDI manual from 2013 batch and have driven it from 65K Kms, so I have a good idea of the difference between the general diesel clatter and the knocking sound that is being referred to in the video.

Last edited by SR-71 : 8th April 2019 at 13:22.
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 02:01   #22

Has the problem been fixed? I have a 2013 Verna, 1.6 diesel with 150k on the odo. Had a light knocking before the timing chain was replaced, and after the replacement, the knocking became a bit more aggressive. Same as in this video, the knocking is at around 1200-1300 rpm range in my case, while accelerating. After that, the sound goes away. Cleaned injectors, timing chain replaced, tried almost everything but no luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks