Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2019, 21:28   #1

Hyundai Elantra - Issue with shifting gears

Hi guys, this is my first post here ! Excited to be a part of this community !

Unfortunately, I ran into a problem sometime back . My elantra, a diesel fluidic SX version is giving me trouble when I try to change gears. The issue starts right when I start my car and it is idling, and when I try to shift into reverse gear, the stick kind of pushes back and I can hear gear meshing sound like grrrrrrrr. This happens when I try to upshift or downshift as well, and sometimes the gear shift gets stuck too. The problem minimises when I pump the clutch 5-6 times and then shift. My initial diagnosis is that the clutch is not realising fully when the pedal is depressed which might be due to lack of pressure in the clutch master cylinder.

Before I get it checked by a mechanic, I wanted some idea of what all might be wrong and approx costs if possible. I am new to my current place and I don’t want to be fooled by a mechanic. I really appreciate everyone taking time out to read the post and maybe offer some advice, thank you !
kenprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 21:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai Elantra - Issue with shifting gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenprakash View Post
Unfortunately, I ran into a problem sometime back . My elantra, a diesel fluidic SX version is giving me trouble when I try to change gears. The issue starts right when I start my car and it is idling, and when I try to shift into reverse gear, the stick kind of pushes back and I can hear gear meshing sound like grrrrrrrr. This happens when I try to upshift or downshift as well, and sometimes the gear shift gets stuck too. The problem minimises when I pump the clutch 5-6 times and then shift. My initial diagnosis is that the clutch is not realising fully when the pedal is depressed which might be due to lack of pressure in the clutch master cylinder. !
This could happen due to multiple reasons. Please check the following in order:

a) Gear shift cable/rod adjustment
b) Clutch circuit bleeding
c) Clutch master and slave cylinder operation check
d) GB oil level
e) Clutch plate replacement
f) Synchroniser wear

e) and f) are major repairs. When was the last time the transmission oil was replaced? Check viscosity and type (GL4/5) required from your owners manual

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th March 2019 at 21:57.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 21:12   #3

Re: Hyundai Elantra - Issue with shifting gears

Thanks for the reply R2D2 ! According to my knowledge, the the transmission fluid has never been replaced, will check my maintenance history once and proceed as per that. I'll most probably be consulting a mechanic tomorrow, will update here !
Old 5th April 2019, 17:44   #4

Re: Hyundai Elantra - Issue with shifting gears

UPDATE :
I live in Gorakhpur, and since no private mechanic / Hyundai showroom as experience in Elantra, I had to take it to Lucknow to get it repaired. There the mechanic told me that the problems in master cylinder can be diagnosed by the way the clutch behaves : if it depresses freely then there's a problem with the main cylinder, and if it releases abnormally then the problem is with the release cylinder.
In my case, the clutch was pushing slightly backwards when it was being depressed and on releasing it was very quick ; which implied a problem not with the cylinders, but the clutch plate assembly.
Ultimately, after opening, they found the clutch plate to be worn off completely, so I had to get the entire clutch and pressure plate assembly replaced, costed me 14000 rupees. Now the gears are shifting easily and things are back to normal.
I appreciate the help !
kenprakash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks