Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2007, 07:37   #1
BHPian

Rust in fuel tank of Accent CRDI

Hi friends,

I have recently discovered this problem while getting the diesel topped up in my Accent viva crdi. The pipe which connects the inlet to the diesel tank has developed some rust. It has not yet spoilt the pipe fully but when I ran my finger over the surface some rust particles came out.

Now I know that the CRDI pump and injectors are very sensitive to the fuel quality and dust or rust in fuel is very bad for them. I showed it at an authorised service centre and was surprised to know that the pipe costs Rs3000 plus labour. Nevertheles I told the service advisor to go ahead and change it but he replied that he has seen quite a few accents with this amount of rust and it is quite safe as there is a filter in the tank and another one before the fuel pump.

I was also advised that the pipe can be painted and put back. Now, I know that this service advisor was being very helpful but I want to be on safe side.

Please let me know your experiences with this kind of issue and also suggest me if I should replace the pipe or paint it with anti corrosive paint and put it back. Should I also get the diesel tank cleaned?

This is very surprising for me as I live in Bangalore and not in a coastal city and the car is just about 2 years old

Cheers
Badri
Old 25th January 2007, 11:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

Get it painted with anti corrosive paint and get the fuel tank cleaned. Rust will get caught in the diesel filters, and will cause premature clogging.
No need to get it replaced though, paint(anti corrosive) is enough.
Old 26th January 2007, 19:27   #3
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. With all these bad diesel and rust issues, is it advisable to change the fuel filter earlier than the suggested 10000 KMs?
Right now I change oil once every 5000Kms and fuel,air filters at 10000 Kms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks