Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2008, 15:46   #136
Senior - BHPian

What OBD protocol does Swift has?
Most likely if it has an OBD port than this OBD scanner should work.

The scanner comes with a free program called Scantool.net, which you can also download from their website. This helps in reading the sensor readings.

But I am still looking for a software which can do data logging connecting at 38400 baud.
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:15   #137
Senior - BHPian

I guess Swift is OBD II. But many has stated that their OBD II tools did not work. I am confused !!
Old 2nd December 2008, 14:44   #138
BHPian

maybe some of them use brand specific protocols ? I have a optra and a santro xing erlx . Both have obdII sockets and the populated pin outs suggest that bot use the KWP 2000 protocol. But whereas I am able to get readings off Optra ECU by using ELM and digimoto the Xings ECU simply does not connects using the same setup which leads me to suppose that some cars in India do not subscribe to the generic protocols but have their own specific protocol maybe somebody in the know can throw some light on it. Also it will be helpful if somebody can make a list of different models and specify the protocols they use as this will make it easier for people who want to read data off their ECU's to buy compatible equipment
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:36   #139
BHPian

SG II - bought and installed !

Received my ScanGauge II yesterday and installed it. I have an Chevy Aveo U-VA. The OBD II port is on the driver's side, under the dash on the left. It immediately connected and started reading the data. Configured my car's parameters. Am going for a tankful tonight to calibrate the Fuel data to start monitoring my fuel efficiency.

The data is pretty useful (RPM esp. since my model is LS and does not come with an RPM gauge). I'm right now switching often between the available gauges while testing the unit out.

Yet to find a mounting location for it :-(.
Old 3rd December 2008, 21:46   #140
BHPian

@the_maassk
can you post some pics please ?
Old 3rd December 2008, 22:54   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Received my ScanGauge II yesterday and installed it. I have an Chevy Aveo U-VA. The OBD II port is on the driver's side, under the dash on the left. It immediately connected and started reading the data. Configured my car's parameters. Am going for a tankful tonight to calibrate the Fuel data to start monitoring my fuel efficiency.

The data is pretty useful (RPM esp. since my model is LS and does not come with an RPM gauge). I'm right now switching often between the available gauges while testing the unit out.

Yet to find a mounting location for it :-(.
How much did it cost ? Where did you sorce it from ? Is it available in India ?
Old 4th December 2008, 00:48   #142
Senior - BHPian

I was also considering it first, but then I found the font to be very small in Scangauge II for any use while driving. But it is a no hassle plug and play thing.
Please share your experience with it.

I think I am already having issues with my setup - I realized that whenever I am on a bad patch, my laptop hard disk goes into protection mode and the communication with OBD is also temporarily suspended. I guess the OBD software might be extrapolating that part of data but I am not sure yet.
Old 4th December 2008, 09:30   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
Cost me $169.95, with free shipping to India. I ordered from the website. The customer support was more than helpful and answered all my queries before the purchase. They shipped DHL and I received the unit in 4 days (even though I ordered over the Thanksgiving weekend!). I don't suppose it is available in India - at least I did not find a place here I could buy it from.

nisarg86 - Pics will be coming on Saturday, when I hope to mount it permanently. Having a busy week right now at work!

An interesting thing I found is that my car apparently has a fuel cutoff (wasn't sure about it earlier). If I release the throttle and am starting to hit the brakes to slow down, the unit indicates a fuel cutoff. Can someone confirm if this is normal behavior?

Hope to play with the unit and post a detailed review early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I was also considering it first, but then I found the font to be very small in Scangauge II for any use while driving. But it is a no hassle plug and play thing.
Please share your experience with it.
I find the font to be big enough. Right now I have it around 2 feet from my eyes while driving and its readable. A detailed review would be coming soon with some pics.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th January 2009 at 01:13. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 4th December 2008, 10:09   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
Eapen has a spare one and you can PM him if anyone wants to buy it from it.
Old 4th December 2008, 10:34   #145
BHPian

I once asked my HM-mitsu service adviser and he said that the Lancer uses a protocol called MUT -3 . The laptop ,scanner and software came as a package costing something like 3Lakhs. and it is available only to the service guys from the company.
I tried finding a similar scanner on Australian sites however it seemed expensive there as well.

So we have a basic budget MUT-3 scanner available somewhere.
Old 4th December 2008, 17:34   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Does anyone know the OBD port location on FIAT Palio 1.3 MJD.

Any idea about the protocol supported by the FIAT?
Finally traced the OBD connector on the Fiat Palio MJD. It is the blue connector behind the glovebox.

But later I learnt through Fiat Forums that the protocol used is not standards compliant and no OBD SW that I'm aware of will connect :-(
Old 5th December 2008, 17:59   #147
Senior - BHPian

I was trying to do dynoruns using Proscan and got this weired looking chart which does not make sense, has anyone tried it (or can interpret this)?
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-dyno-pull-3.jpg  

Old 6th December 2008, 10:48   #148
Senior - BHPian

Today I was generally checking the impact of (powerful) ICE on Fuel Consumption.
Since FC while driving is so dynamic, so I thought of checking it while the car was idling.

Fuel Consumption while idling (warmed up car) 0.73 ltrs / hour (approx)
Fuel Consumption while idling with ICE (- Sub) on 0.77 ltrs / hour (approx)
Fuel Consumption while idling with ICE & SUB on 0.85 ltrs / hour (approx)
Volume was on my average listening levels.
As I pumped up the volume (not full), the FC went above 1.1 ltrs / hour (approx) mainly due to the sub. It would have probably gone more but I didn't increase the volume further.

I have seen dancing lights, and fluctuating voltage with music, but here is a sample of fluctuating FC along with it
As I always suspected a powerful ICE can have direct impact on FE of the vehicle (besided the indirect weight related influence )

My Music Amp: Audison LRx 300 W RMS 4 channel
My Sub Amp: Audison LRx 900W RMS 1 channel
Approx ICE weight: 100 kgs
Old 8th January 2009, 17:56   #149
BHPian

any update on some scanner working with the swift ? Im looking not as a standalone device but something i can connect to my laptop! Anyone had any success with a swift?
Old 9th January 2009, 13:37   #150
BHPian

you can try elm 327 based scanners available with iride technologies at Car PC Systems | Vehicle Infotainment Solutions | iRide Technologies, Mumbai, India you can email them and ask specifically for swift support. there is a list of software both free and otherwise at their site which can be loaded on a laptop to scan using elm hardware

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks