Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 19:12   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Could anyone please help sort that issue? Is it an issue with the Baud rate of the Serial port? AFAIK the device is supposed to run at 9600bps. However, the Scanmaster SW sets it at 38400bps, which I am not able to manually change. Is this a reason for the communication error? As said by Anandtheleo, it is quite random. Once, I could log for more than ten minutes, whereas another run lasted until I cranked the car and the software crashed. I wanted to do some continuous long runs but if this happens I will have to take the passenger seat and ensure the SW does not hang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I bought one from ebay and it doesnt work on my A-star or Vento. Would have been good if one could try them locally
Which is the device you got? It needs some fiddling and good SW to run well. I got accurate readings only with Scanmaster. Most of the other software I tried had various issues, right from connection to getting the right readings. Hence, I think you can fiddle around with software as well as settings to make it working.
Old 26th July 2013, 19:53   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
All Marutis with the 'K' series engines are OBDII compliant. The older ones have their own proprietary protocol.
It didn't work in my AStar which was 2010 model, maybe the new refreshed ones are compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Is SX4 Diesel 2012 model OBD II compliant. Is there any place in Delhi or NCR from where i can go and buy this equipment? Not very comfortable using my card online.
SX4 diesel should be compliant, pretty sure about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I bought one from ebay and it doesnt work on my A-star or Vento. Would have been good if one could try them locally
Surprising that it doesn't work on the Vento. In the Astar it wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
However, I have been facing an issue. After a certain amount of time, the reading stops, ie all values go to zero. After this, I cannot restart reading, nor can I disconnect the ELM reader. I have to save the values and then kill the application using Task manager. Anyone else faced similar issue? Any workaround for this?
My Symbian based OBD scan software used to do this, but the same adaptor works flawlessly with Torque app. Though my reply isn't of much help to you i'd like to know why you bought serial/USB adapter instead of a BT one to use with your phone. Torque (paid) is a good piece of software so is Dashcommand.
Old 26th July 2013, 20:04   #603
BANNED

Quote:
Wasn't the WagonR made OBD 2 compliant just recently with the launch of the refresh?
I thought all cars post 2009 manufacturing are OBD 2 compliant and will be working normally with these ELM 327 readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Is SX4 Diesel 2012 model OBD II compliant.
Yes the SX4 Diesel is OBD 2 buddy.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 26th July 2013, 20:24   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

know why you bought serial/USB adapter instead of a BT one to use with your phone..
I did that out of pure stupidity. When I was looking at the products, I had in mind that I had a windows phone, and my usage would be primarily with the laptop. Then USB was the thing flashing in my mind. Little did I recall that I could have used the bluetooth one with my laptop as well.

Moreover, this specific product I saw, I called up the seller to confirm about its compatibility. He was positive about the K10 engines. Hence I immediately ordered without looking for alternatives.

What protocol are you using to connect to your A-Star? I believe if it works with my WagonR, it should work with the A-Star too. The wagonR was advertised as OBD compliant only recently, with the front facelift. Mine is the model previously sold. Hence as per Maruti logic it is not OBD compliant. Still it works.

Even the SX4 was advertised as OBD compliant with the BS4 version. Mine is again prior to that but no good.

Perhaps, in a short while I will go for a bluetooth version, which is much cheaper to buy too
Old 26th July 2013, 21:02   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What protocol are you using to connect to your A-Star?
It didn't connect with the AStar, since the K10 came later in Wagon R they must've made it compliant but may not have advertised it till the newer one came out. I don't have the AStar now.
Old 26th July 2013, 21:02   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps, in a short while I will go for a bluetooth version, which is much cheaper to buy too
The problem I am facing is with a Bluetooth version only. I am surprised you are facing the same with the USB one too. I was under the impression the USB one would be more stable (was kicking myself for not getting that).

Also, one thing I noticed is, the connection is more unstable with the Scanmaster and more stable with ProScan version 5.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 23:14   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I was under the impression the USB one would be more stable (was kicking myself for not getting that).

Also, one thing I noticed is, the connection is more unstable with the Scanmaster and more stable with ProScan version 5.
*one* of the reasons I brought the USB version. Anyways, you have a different device + different ECU and still face the same glitch as I do. I guess it is a serial COM related issue. Mainly, I am not understanding the baud rate conflict. The device is rated at 9600bps. Scanmaster first sets the baud to 9600 but then it moves to 38400bps. I wonder if this is causing the problem.

Also, when I connected it via ProScan, it gave wierd readings, and they were fluctuating like anything. Not sure if the connection was stable or not. Tried tweaking settings, but still the readings were not proper. I am very happy with ScanMaster, except for this crash bug. Anyways its just two days since I got the product, and there is a long way to go, at least for me Overall, I am happy with the thing. Imagine your neighbour gazing at you sitting inside the car with lots of gauges and graphs on the screen one guy did freak out and enquired what I was upto.

Its holidays and I have got just the right past time - Learning more about all this. Helps me academically also as I am from the ECE background.
Old 17th August 2013, 17:51   #608
Senior - BHPian

I tried OBD scan tool for multiple cars.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/231029761627?...84.m1497.l2649

Swift DDIS - Vdi (2010) - It didn't work (It keeps searching for ECU response)
Skoda Fabia TDI (2012) - Works amazingly
Hyundai Accent (2007)- Partially works (only few parameters work)
Old 17th August 2013, 19:43   #609
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post

Even I tried using this in my dad's car but found it be working properly in the Ritz (2010 model). The same thing did not work in SX4 (2009 model) as it was searching for the ECU.

One thing I fail to understand is that isn't all vehicles from Maruti be on the same ECU protocol and working? Why the difference or it is because the SX4 is the older model? Has anyone tried this in the New SX4 and Swift DDiS models?

Anurag.
Old 17th August 2013, 20:37   #610
Senior - BHPian

I also tried it on my Beat diesel using Torq pro on my android phone, it works perfectly. Maruti used their propreitary protocol on prior 2009 models of Swift and SX4 so OBD2 scan does not work on old model.
Old 17th August 2013, 20:47   #611
BANNED

Quote:
Maruti used their propreitary protocol on prior 2009 models of Swift and SX4 so OBD2 scan does not work on old model.
So you mean to say vehicles prior to 2009 will not give results on the with this OBD II reader + Torque App.

Anurag.
Old 20th August 2013, 10:02   #612
Senior - BHPian

At the moment yes, but will try out new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
So you mean to say vehicles prior to 2009 will not give results on the with this OBD II reader + Torque App.

Anurag.
Am not sure if that works or not with prior to 2009 models, Mine is 2010-Feb Swift Vdi, So, that will be Sep/oct- 2009 make.

Tried the same tool with i20 Diesel (2012 -6Speed) - It works.

Does anyone know pinout configuration of swift vdi (2009/10) OBD connector ?
and Pin configuration of Vgate scan tool (http://www.ebay.in/itm/231029761627?...84.m1497.l2649) ?

http://rhinopower.activeboard.com/t4...hich-protocol/

In Swift i have experienced malfuntion of Autocop with this tool connected (It starts alarming in lock position).

-Mohan

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th August 2013 at 12:37. Reason: back to back posts. Please read rules of forum. Next time infraction
Old 20th August 2013, 11:27   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure if that works or not with prior to 2009 models, Mine is 2010-Feb Swift Vdi, So, that will be Sep/oct- 2009 make.
Don't waste your time and money - it'll not work .
Old 20th August 2013, 19:07   #614
BHPian

Before getting one of these ELM 327 for my Toyota Fortuner I had a quick google lookup, and surprisingly there are reports that Fortuner does not seem to be OBD-II compliant. Though a few pages ago I see a post "... Toyota - all ..." as compliant, a few threads elsewhere suggests it uses KWP2000/M-OBD and hence instead of a cheapo ELM, we need a more sophisticated & expensive reader (only affordable by service stations) to read the readings. A little more googling finds EFI scan, but that's $142 and obviously not justified as just for fun project.
Old 22nd September 2013, 09:54   #615
BHPian

Quote:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/231029761627?...84.m1497.l2649

Skoda Fabia TDI (2012) - Works amazingly
Hyundai Accent (2007)- Partially works (only few parameters work)
I purchased this same scan tool last week.

I have a problem with it. When I try to pair it using bluetooth settings and password 1234 just before starting the engine, it pairs the device. But when I start torque, it again asks for the password and any password I enter, it just cant connect.

Can someone help me on this. Im using Xperia Go Android.

EDIT - I tried on Etios Diesel and Optra Diesel

Last edited by benzinblut : 22nd September 2013 at 09:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks