Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 19:00   #871
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
This question might have been asked before in this thread... Whether the below mentioned OBD reader will work with my 2003 Ikon 1.6...

I am basically trying to find are there any errors in my car's ECU & reset it...
It will not work as your car is manufactured in 2003. OBD 2 protocol begun from 2010. Your car is an OBD 1 protocol and may not have the 16-pin connector to read the ECU via this reader.

Anurag.
Old 9th May 2014, 00:24   #872
BHPian

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

CAn someone identify the Port? Is it OBD II?
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-img_1492.jpg  

Old 9th May 2014, 04:58   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

If it is the Torque App, then correctly enter the vehicle weight + fuel weight + driver weight etc to calculate the FE, Hp & Torque correctly..
I think these apps use the airflow info and vehicle speed to calculate fuel consumption
Old 9th May 2014, 06:38   #874
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
CAn someone identify the Port? Is it OBD II?
Yup. It is the 16-pin connector used in OBD 2 compliant vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post

I think these apps use the airflow info and vehicle speed to calculate fuel consumption
These Apps needs lot than air flow and speed. These two are parts of the calculation. Driver weight + total weight of car + Fuel weight etc are considered an FE is calculated. This is as per Torque App.

Anurag.
Old 9th May 2014, 11:39   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1st question:
So is my Innova MFD: 10/2009 OBD -2 compliant? Here is the picture of the port (located in the footwell area)..
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-innova-obd-port-large.jpg

2nd question:
Which reader to buy ? I am a little confused on this issue having read audioholic's post. Anyone knows a good bluetooth compatible reader that will not wreak havoc on the ECU circuitry due to bad design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Attention: For those of you using the OBD readers which are like this:

Attachment 1186129
IMAGE SOURCE: http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/i...luetooth-2.jpg

I noticed that in my device, there was a possible defect in design. That is, the OBD connector is stuffed into the housing of the reader in such a way that one of the pins of the OBD connector comes in contact with the input of a regulator IC on the board. This will result in pin 7 of your OBD connector shorting with pin 16 which is providing battery voltage, ie 14v. In simple words, pin 7 is used for certain protocols to send and receieve data. So returning 14v through this may not be a good thing for the ECU, though it may have appropriate protection.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 9th May 2014 at 11:44.
Old 9th May 2014, 11:53   #876
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
1st question:
So is my Innova MFD: 10/2009 OBD-2 compliant? Here is the picture of the port (located in the footwell area)
Yes, I think it is OBD-2 compliant. From the pins present, it looks like the protocol is either ISO 9141 or ISO 14230 (KWP2000).

Quote:
2nd question:
Which reader to buy? I am a little confused on this issue having read audioholic's post. Anyone knows a good bluetooth compatible reader that will not wreak havoc on the ECU circuitry due to bad design.
I guess other members (who have more experience with Bluetooth adapters) should be able to answer this question much better than I can.

Last edited by RSR : 9th May 2014 at 11:55.
Old 9th May 2014, 12:25   #877
BANNED

Quote:
1st question:
So is my Innova MFD: 10/2009 OBD -2 compliant? Here is the picture of the port (located in the footwell area)..
Us that is the OBD 2 compliant. That is the 16-pin connector.

Quote:
2nd question:
Which reader to buy ? I am a little confused on this issue having read audioholic's post. Anyone knows a good bluetooth compatible reader that will not wreak havoc on the ECU circuitry due to bad design.
You can buy that type of reader that you quoted (audioholic's post). Reason in saying that is I am using that type of reader from 3 years. No issue in my car till date (Ritz - 3 years and Swift - 4 months and going on).

I'll PM you the link from where I bought the OBD 2 reader.

Anurag.
Old 9th May 2014, 12:39   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I am a little confused on this issue having read audioholic's post. Anyone knows a good bluetooth compatible reader that will not wreak havoc on the ECU circuitry due to bad design.
The issue reported will not harm the ECU. The ECU will simply stop using that I/O pin, effectively not putting out any information. Engine functionality is not affected by this.

If you are really worried, you can always open the box (the OBD reader box) and stick a piece of plastic to prevent the shorting.
Old 9th May 2014, 13:19   #879
BHPian

Quote:
1st question:
Attachment 1238680

2nd question:
AFAIK, Innova even the latest ones are NOT compatible with ELM327.

Im trying best to find tool for Innova as lot of my ebay customers ask for it.

There is Launch DBSCar which works (its a costly solution). However VIN no is encoded differently in Innova and im unable to put it in global format. As launch DBSCar requires VIN registration.
Old 9th May 2014, 13:26   #880
BHPian

Quote:

These Apps needs lot than air flow and speed. These two are parts of the calculation. Driver weight + total weight of car + Fuel weight etc are considered an FE is calculated. This is as per Torque App.

Anurag.
For petrol cars, the airflow and vehicle speed should be enough right? (Although I do not how the fuel consumption when we coast downhill in gear is calculated) The torque pro app uses the vehicle weight, driver weight etc to calculate Power and torque figures for the vehicle,not the FE.
Old 9th May 2014, 14:06   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
For petrol cars, the airflow and vehicle speed should be enough right? (Although I do not how the fuel consumption when we coast downhill in gear is calculated) The torque pro app uses the vehicle weight, driver weight etc to calculate Power and torque figures for the vehicle,not the FE.
The app uses Fuel flow rate and gps speed to calculate the instantaneous FE. Vehicle weight et al is required to calculate the hp and torque at the wheels.
Old 9th May 2014, 15:54   #882
BHPian

Quote:
It will not work as your car is manufactured in 2003. OBD 2 protocol begun from 2010. Your car is an OBD 1 protocol and may not have the 16-pin connector to read the ECU via this reader.

Anurag.
Look at the picture below taken from my ikon... It does have 16 pin connector...
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-1399631045191.jpg  

Old 9th May 2014, 16:23   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
Look at the picture below taken from my ikon... It does have 16 pin connector...
Your 2003 Ford Ikon must be OBD-II compliant, as it uses the same Zetec engine used in European and Mexican Ford Ka and Fiesta cars which are OBD-II compliant. The port indeed is the OBD-II port.

Last edited by silversteed : 9th May 2014 at 16:30.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2014, 16:48   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
AFAIK, Innova even the latest ones are NOT compatible with ELM327.

Im trying best to find tool for Innova as lot of my ebay customers ask for it.

There is Launch DBSCar which works (its a costly solution). However VIN no is encoded differently in Innova and im unable to put it in global format. As launch DBSCar requires VIN registration.
devrajman
Could you please elaborate - are you saying that ELM 327 will not work with Innova?
I am a little confused by your statement that Launch DBSCar works, and yet it requires some VIN format which you have been unable to give. So does this mean it does not work because of a VIN issue?
Old 9th May 2014, 17:34   #885
BHPian

Quote:
devrajman
Could you please elaborate - are you saying that ELM 327 will not work with Innova?
I am a little confused by your statement that Launch DBSCar works, and yet it requires some VIN format which you have been unable to give. So does this mean it does not work because of a VIN issue?
Yes, It does not work with any Innova.

Innova VIN format is different than the way other manufactures write it.

I havent got time to reorder VIN from Innova to global format and register Launch DBSCar for my customer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks