Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2008, 17:48   #91
BHPian

According this chart the OBD2 protocol used by Suzuki is ISO 9141 in many of their sub 2L models from 1996

http://www.etools.org/files/public/g...s-02-17-03.htm

I tried connecting to a 2003 Suzuki Wagon R 1.1L & 2005 Suzuki Baleno 1.6L. Even after forcing the ISO mode the unit switches off undetected after displaying the message "Connecting.........."

There also is a pin layout difference between Wagon R & Baleno in the DLC \ OBD2 Connector

From Scantool FAQ

DLC pins used :-

Wagon R
Pin 5 -ve
Pin 7 digital signal
Pin 16 +ve

Baleno
Pin 5 -ve
Pin 9 digital signal
Pin 16 +ve

If Baleno follows the ISO 9141 standard then Suzuki has not adhered to the ISO standard for OBDC II DLC, because as with Wagon R the digital signal out should be pin 7 & not pin 9

Does anybody know whether Scangauge II supports ISO 9141 standard or is compatible with Suzuki ECU coding?

Last edited by eapen : 14th January 2008 at 17:59.
Old 14th January 2008, 17:51   #92
BHPian

Though the Suzuki has ODBII ISO 9141 standard it has only one digital
signal out -> K Line. It doesn't have K & L lines. Would this be the
issue?

I refered at [COLOR=#82b919]http://www.elmelectronics.com/connect.html[/COLOR].

There is ELM 323 chip which works for ISO standard & whose input can be modified to accept only K line.
Old 4th February 2008, 18:46   #93

anything that works with the sx4??
Old 8th February 2008, 12:52   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapen View Post

Baleno
Pin 5 -ve
Pin 9 digital signal
Pin 16 +ve

If Baleno follows the ISO 9141 standard then Suzuki has not adhered to the ISO standard for OBDC II DLC, because as with Wagon R the digital signal out should be pin 7 & not pin 9
I think Baleno has GM OBD1 or OBD 1.5.. Basically only the physical connector is OBD II where as the wiring and the protocol is OBD I. See how the pin layout matches exactly with this cable for GM OBD I -> OBD Diagnostics, Inc. - ALDL (GM OBD1) Cable with 16 pin Connector

BUTTT, Even if we get the cable, with OBD I (or ALDL), almost every other ECU had different data streams coming out of PIN 9. I couldnt find ANY software out on the net that could interpret the data stream for Suzuki vehicles.. though I found some for non GM cars like Lotus. Some of the software allow you to provide a data stream definition file. But for this, you will have to decode whats coming out and create the definition file accordingly.
Old 8th February 2008, 14:16   #95
BHPian

I think most of the Marutis (MPFI) do have the OBDII type connector but are pre-OBD for all practical purposes. And the problem with pre OBD is that, during that time frame none of the protocols were standardized. Manufacturers pretty much had something cooked up for their vehicles (my guess).
So, a generic OBDII tools like ELM scan etc. may not work for Marutis (I wonder if anyone has any wiring/shorting tweaks to get this working). The cars manufactured in the US after 1996 were OBDII compatible but in India - most MPFI cars (maruti) that came out even after 2000 were not OBDII compatible.
I guess, cars like SX4 (M series) engine might be compatible though.
Old 8th February 2008, 15:42   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got a Scangauge II from US to use in my Suzuki Baleno.

After trying & searching for a while I found that it doesn't work for Maruti vehicles - anybody interested for fitting in American cars let me know.
Will it work with Chevrolet Optra ?
Old 9th February 2008, 12:58   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftboost View Post
I think most of the Marutis (MPFI) do have the OBDII type connector but are pre-OBD for all practical purposes.
Just a clarification, My post above refers to BSII Baleno's. It seems Baleno BS III is OBD II compliant (both connector and protocol), But the PID's are non-standard/Suzuki specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
No idea.. Keep in mind that its a re-badged Daewoo.. A Korean car rather than GM American one. You will have to trace its origins and see if ECU on it supports OBD II

Last edited by spadival : 9th February 2008 at 13:02.
Old 9th February 2008, 16:08   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I think it SHOULD work. SG works on the Aveo. Chevrolet is American Breed, so it should work.

cya
A
Old 11th February 2008, 13:16   #99
BHPian

Thanks 'spadival' for your interesting observation. So still nobody's clear regarding Baleno
Old 11th February 2008, 15:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks 'spadival' for your interesting observation. So still nobody's clear regarding Baleno
Which Baleno do you have? BS II or BS III.. If its BS III, there is some hope of someone figuring out the PID's for the Baleno's BS III ECU (BTW, these supposedly deviate from OBD II protocol standard).

If it is BS II, Its very clear that it is NOT OBD II.. This ECU is just too old to support OBD II. Admit it.. Our Baleno's come from a different era - both in terms of hardware and software!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post717839
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:21   #101
BHPian

My Baleno has the distributorless ignition with Dual Coil over spark plug (similair to Wagon R & Petrol Swift) wasted spark system. Its a 2004 August model
Old 28th February 2008, 17:54   #102
BHPian

Any info on other ECMs (brand and model of car) that uses the same base hardware/architecture as Marutis ECM like Denso/others. Dont know if I have articulated the thought well. What I mean here is: eg- Eagle Talon (or whatever) uses the same base ECM (manufacturer/model) platform as the Maruti .... something on these lines. Though I think its a remote possibility .... but, you never know !!
Old 28th February 2008, 18:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftboost View Post
Any info on other ECMs (brand and model of car) that uses the same base hardware/architecture as Marutis ECM like Denso/others.
I don't think they share the same Hardware. Even within Suzuki, the ECU processors are different for different vehicles.. The info I got is that a Vitara ECU (Gypsy) has a MH6211 while the processor in the Baleno ECU is 68HC16. As technology progressed, I guess they kept upgrading the processor family used in the ECU.

Credits: Rhinoman's Portal . This chap has looked inside both of these ECU's and is in the process of disassembling the ROM !!
Old 20th June 2008, 21:53   #104

Swift OBD Port

Hi Friends

Anybody got lucky in getting any Generic OBD scan tool working in Swift?
Scanguage II doesn’t work with Japanese swift also with Maruti swift.

What about Dashdyno spd or Dashhawk, ELM327 RS232 interpreter?

In Suzuki swift service Manuel (PDF). In page 52 it says about generic scanner.
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-swiftsmp52.jpg  

Old 4th July 2008, 09:47   #105
Senior - BHPian

Found two more diagnostic scanners, one is the cheapest option I have seen.

CarMD is a basic scanner with limited reporting and diagnostic for the unaware end-users, costs only $99. Very simple to use and understand.

Autotap is a more comprehensive solution providing a detailed diagnostic and live data on the sensors and running vehicle. Costs $200 for the Hardware & software + you can buy more enhanced parameters.

Remember, both are diagnostic scanners only and cannot be used for tweaking the ECU. Please view their Demo videos for better understanding.

Ehhh!!! anyone in/ going to US and will be back soon, PM me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks