Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2017, 21:49   #1366

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Get a Vgate Icar OBD adapter. There is a pro version which consumes very less power too. When I had problems connecting with the cheapo Chinese clones, I got the original one and it worked perfect. Would recommend the wifi version as Bluetooth always has some hiccups.
Old 25th September 2017, 19:45   #1367
BHPian

Hi all,

I have recently bought bajaj allianz drive smart premium car insurance policy for my maruti celerio. I switched from iffco tokio and my primary reason for going with this drive smart policy was to get engine protect and passenger and driver cover plus some extra discount as my other car is also insured by BA.

With this policy I received an OBD 2 scanning device developed by cariq (a pune based company). Today I plugged in the scanning device in the OBD 2 port located below the steering wheel column (above clutch area). As instructed in the device manual, I have installed the BA insurance wallet app and I could connect the app to the device. I have not driven today. Will drive tomorrow and see how the device and the app perform.

I do have warranty related concern about whether connecting this device will void the warranty or not? Also will this device interfere with the ECU of the car and affect the performance or behaviour of the car? Has anyone used this device from bajaj allianz or can someone throw some light on the queries I have?
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-img_1685.jpg  

ar.abc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 08:59   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar.abc View Post
I do have warranty related concern about whether connecting this device will void the warranty or not? Also will this device interfere with the ECU of the car and affect the performance or behaviour of the car?
This device will only read values of different parameters from ECU at periodic intervals & show up simplified view with end-user. Don't see a reason of this device causing any warranty issues or changing behavior of car.
On a lighter note, this device may indirectly force a change in your driving pattern as your driving data is getting shared with Insurance service provider.

I haven't used this device recently however have seen it during development stage.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 15:59   #1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Which one are you using ? How does the map tracking works? Is it based on the device or uses GPS of the phone? I'm looking out for a device which once connected to the car can also show me the location of the vehicle on my phone.
Apologies for the extremely late reply. I’m using a generic ODB2 Device that I bought from eBay. The map tracking works through the app on the phone. The ODB2 port only feeds the phone the data the ECU is giving out. Tracking is done by the app using the phone’s GPS.
Old 26th October 2017, 15:00   #1370
BHPian

All, I have an iCar Vgate (ARM Based) wifi adapter (no Bluetooth) which is in use in my Xylo. I have no problem in connecting and communicating to this via my iPhone using OBD Fusion App. But if I am trying to connect with Android phone with Torque Pro app, it is not connecting via wifi and I do not have Bluetooth in the adapter. Any clues, helps....? I tried few more apps in Android but nothing worked. Both OBD Fusion and Torque Pro Apps are paid versions only.

Thanks in advance, Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 26th October 2017 at 15:13.
Old 29th October 2017, 08:55   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
All, I have an iCar Vgate (ARM Based) wifi adapter (no Bluetooth) which is in use in my Xylo. I have no problem in connecting and communicating to this via my iPhone using OBD Fusion App. But if I am trying to connect with Android phone with Torque Pro app, it is not connecting via wifi and I do not have Bluetooth in the adapter. Any clues, helps....? I tried few more apps in Android but nothing worked. Both OBD Fusion and Torque Pro Apps are paid versions only.

Thanks in advance, Rajesh
In Torque Pro for Android, go to settings> OBD2 Adapter settings> Connection Types, here you will have the option to select Bluetooth-Wifi-USB. Default may have been set to Bluetooth.
I am using the iCar Vgate with Bluetooth and Torque Pro in my Honda City without problem.

Last edited by nitnab : 29th October 2017 at 08:56. Reason: Torque pro added
Old 29th October 2017, 09:25   #1372
BHPian

Recently I noticed that in my Honda City iVtec AT (Nov 2008 model) the airbag indicator stays ON. I tried using Vgate to trace the problem but later learnt that the "safety" parameters such as Airbag/ABS cannot be accessed by standard ELM327 adapters. Is that really so or can we scan these parameters with some special software for ELM327? I took it to my local garage who scanned it(using xDiag pro3 and a X431 OBD2 hardware) for Rs 400/- and tried resetting the light. It does get cleared but after the car is restarted it again comes ON. The guy says the fault is with the "clockspring" or some such thing inside the steering wheel and it would be in the range of Rs 3500/- to replace. Can someone tell me if that could be correct price.
Old 29th October 2017, 19:04   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
In Torque Pro for Android, go to settings> OBD2 Adapter settings> Connection Types, here you will have the option to select Bluetooth-Wifi-USB. Default may have been set to Bluetooth.
I am using the iCar Vgate with Bluetooth and Torque Pro in my Honda City without problem.

Checked all those before posting here. My adapter doesn't have Bluetooth, only wifi. Phone is connected to the wifi without issues, but torque app (paid version) not connecting. Looks like some protocol issue but not able to find that.
Old 30th October 2017, 12:37   #1374
BHPian

Could someone suggest a good OBD dongle that is compatible with a VW GT TSI (2016) and an app that works with it too. I have seen a few in the earlier posts (ELM 327 for one) but I would like to make sure which of the models, since I see multiple versions of them and would like to ensure compatibility. Have read about "Torque". Is there any that are better with more functionality / values etc?
Old 30th October 2017, 12:45   #1375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Could someone suggest a good OBD dongle that is compatible with a VW GT TSI (2016) and an app that works with it too. I have seen a few in the earlier posts (ELM 327 for one) but I would like to make sure which of the models, since I see multiple versions of them and would like to ensure compatibility. Have read about "Torque". Is there any that are better with more functionality / values etc?
As far as I know, VW and Skoda do not work with standard OBD connectors but need VAG-COM (a special cable and software) for diagnostics etc.
Old 30th October 2017, 13:01   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
This is a new model OBD2 scanner device from vgate 'icar pro' which claims to consume less than 3mA, during standby mode, while the earlier versions consume upto 30mA. It has auto on/off feature, which puts an end to manual intervention (plugging in and out).

The device comes in 3 variants - 2 Bluetooth versions and 1 wifi version. One of the Bluetooth version and the wifi version works with both IOS / android, unlike the earlier versions where only wifi variant worked with IOS. So iphone owners can choose the variant according to their needs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vgat...808991402.html

Hope this helps some of us who is much worried about OBD2 adaptor's standby power consumption.
Bat of Gotham your post was quite helpful. But before I can place an order on AE, can you let me know which model is better? is it the WIFI or the BE version for IOS?
Old 30th October 2017, 13:40   #1377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Bat of Gotham your post was quite helpful. But before I can place an order on AE, can you let me know which model is better? is it the WIFI or the BE version for IOS?
If you connect your phone to the Bluetooth of ICE, then go for the one with WIFI. Else if you use the phone's wifi for connecting to other hotspots for your phone's internet connection, choose the BT4.0 version.

Trust this helps.
batman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 13:49   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I have seen a few in the earlier posts (ELM 327 for one) but I would like to make sure which of the models, since I see multiple versions of them and would like to ensure compatibility. Have read about "Torque".
Choose Vgate OBD device and Torque app is quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
As far as I know, VW and Skoda do not work with standard OBD connectors but need VAG-COM (a special cable and software) for diagnostics etc.
While VCDS cable & software can be used for diagnostics and for controlling features (enable/disable/change), other OBD scanners can also be used for diagnostics.
Old 10th November 2017, 20:10   #1379
BHPian

Need a suggestion on OBD Scanner for Maruti Ignis. I guess, they're using the same for Baleno/Dezire/Ignis. Should be compatible with Android Phone. Approx. price of the hardware & software would be appreciated.

And, Is it possible to identify, whether the ECU is reset or speedo is tampered?
Old 10th November 2017, 23:50   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Need a suggestion on OBD Scanner for Maruti Ignis. I guess, they're using the same for Baleno/Dezire/Ignis. Should be compatible with Android Phone. Approx. price of the hardware & software would be appreciated.

And, Is it possible to identify, whether the ECU is reset or speedo is tampered?
I believe the OBD ports for products across the latest ones from Maruti stable being Baleno, Brezza, Ignis should have same ports. To verify, try finding it in the owners manual to see if you can find details on the OBD port.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vgat...808991402.html

Check the above link and see if the wifi or Bluetooth version works for you according to your priority based on the port.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks