Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2021, 19:38   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: OBD Mobile Apps For Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
OK, great! So did you find any errors related to ABS? I believe ABS warning was the motivation for you to get this OBD reader, right?

Now that you have got Torque Pro working, you can do a full scan for DTC codes and see what you find.
Yes, I was about to write about it.

ABS light is ON all the time. But fault scan shows no faults. The OBD device and the Torque Pro app are working; I am able to see the coolant temperature for example.

I will first screen the existing threads on ABS / brake. If I get no clues there, I will post it on a separate thread.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 07:43   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post

ABS light is ON all the time. But fault scan shows no faults. The OBD device and the Torque Pro app are working; I am able to see the coolant temperature for example.

I will first screen the existing threads on ABS / brake. If I get no clues there, I will post it on a separate thread.
Unfortunately, I doubt if you will be able to read the ABS data by using such a simple generic OBD scanner. You need a more sophisticated scanner like Autel or Topdon to get details of an ABS fault.

Last edited by nitnab : 20th June 2021 at 07:46.
nitnab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 08:03   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Basic OBD2 scanners cannot scan ABS details and also advanced PCM, TCM modules. OBD2 scanners range from a few hundred rupees to lakhs of rupees and not all have all the functions. The more advanced and expensive ones have capabilities to scan all modules and also erase the error codes.
There is also a software known as Forscan for which you need to download the software on your laptop, connect it to the OBD2 port using a special cable and then reading the codes.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 09:49   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
The ABS & ESP lights came on shortly after and didn't go away. I hooked up the ELM327 and tried scanning from the Torque app and it didn't show up any error. Tried another OBD adaptor Vgate WiFi without result as well. Afterwards, I downloaded another app called EOBD and voila, the fault code was shown as a broken ABS sensor on the front right wheel.
Thanks for sharing the experience about EOBD. I tried an app called "EOBD Facile" from Google Play. Is this the one you are talking about? By the way, it did not show any fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Basic OBD2 scanners cannot scan ABS details and also advanced PCM, TCM modules. OBD2 scanners range from a few hundred rupees to lakhs of rupees and not all have all the functions. The more advanced and expensive ones have capabilities to scan all modules and also erase the error codes.
There is also a software known as Forscan for which you need to download the software on your laptop, connect it to the OBD2 port using a special cable and then reading the codes.
Thanks. Which device would you suggest, for a budget of up to Rs. 5000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
Unfortunately, I doubt if you will be able to read the ABS data by using such a simple generic OBD scanner. You need a more sophisticated scanner like Autel or Topdon to get details of an ABS fault.
Thanks. Which model of these makes would you suggest? Have you used these?
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 10:18   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure of the ones that you get in India. I bought mine from US. The company is called Innova and is based in US itself.

Link: https://www.innova.com/

There are various online reviews including YouTube videos.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:13   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the experience about EOBD. I tried an app called "EOBD Facile" from Google Play. Is this the one you are talking about? By the way, it did not show any fault.

Thanks. Which model of these makes would you suggest? Have you used these?
I have a Topdon model which I had purchased in China around 4 years back. It perfectly diagnosed the sensor fault of the Airbag on my Honda City AT. Presently the latest model seems to be available on Amazon.in for around Rs 6000/-

Last edited by nitnab : 20th June 2021 at 12:23.
Old 20th June 2021, 12:57   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the app is this one. However, if I remember well, I tried it on iPhone with a Wifi adaptor and not with the ELM327 bluetooth version.
Old 20th June 2021, 16:39   #1478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which model of these makes would you suggest? Have you used these?
The best OBD reader is the original one made by OBDLink (https://www.obdlink.com/) . OBDLink is one of the original official licensees for the ELM327 chip. Later everyone copied that and there are tons of copycat/duplicate ELM327 readers in the market.

I have the original OBDLink LX device which I ordered directly from their US site for about $50. These devices have a lot of advanced features and will read all (well, mostly all) error codes that some of the duplicate EML327 reader may not.

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-dsc_0004_01.jpg

Now they have OBDLink MX+ which I think is the most advanced. That costs $100. OBDLink MX+ is also available at Amazon.in, but at ridiculous price: https://www.amazon.in/OBDLink-Blueto...s%2C314&sr=8-1
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 17:39   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
OK, great! So did you find any errors related to ABS? I believe ABS warning was the motivation for you to get this OBD reader, right?

Now that you have got Torque Pro working, you can do a full scan for DTC codes and see what you find.
Update:
Since the OBD wasn't showing any fault code, I checked the wires physically. The wire from the front right sensor was broken (probably ratbite) inside the engine compartment.

Fixed the wire properly and the warning light disappeared.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:12   #1480
BHPian

Dear Team Bhp Fraternity,

Vehicle : Maruti WagonR 2010 VXi
Engine : K10B

I am looking for an tool to get Average Fuel Consumption/Instantaneous Fuel Efficiency indicator for my car.
Is it possible with OBD2 devices + applications ?

Note : This car do not have any such option from factory but facelifted versions(from 2013) and WagonR Stingray have them.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:08   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
Dear Team Bhp Fraternity,

Vehicle : Maruti WagonR 2010 VXi
Engine : K10B

I am looking for an tool to get Average Fuel Consumption/Instantaneous Fuel Efficiency indicator for my car.
Is it possible with OBD2 devices + applications ?

Note : This car do not have any such option from factory but facelifted versions(from 2013) and WagonR Stingray have them.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you may buy an ELM327 OBD adapter and hook it with your phone. There are multiple apps to get this info, Torque being the most common
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 20:58   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Yes, you may buy an ELM327 OBD adapter and hook it with your phone. There are multiple apps to get this info, Torque being the most common
Thank you. I bought an ELM327 and started using through Torque Lite App.

Since WagonR barely went out these days, I tried using it in our other vehicle (Gen 3 Honda City) with MID on an approx. 30km trip, resetting both at same time. The MID's fuel efficiency(13.4kmpl) and trip distance(32.2km) was different from the Torque app's fuel efficiency(12.7kmpl) and trip distance(31.4km) observed. For initial 8-10kms, the trip distance was same and as the trip progressed the deviation in readings was observed. I guess the gap will increase as trip becomes larger and larger. However rpm logs, speed logs etc. seems to be accurate.

My assumption was that the torque was reading data from ECU itself. If that was the case, why there is a variation in MID provided data and the ones from app? I updated the engine parameters such as cubic capacity & vehicle weight in 'General Preferences' of the App as per the car. Is there any other changes needed in settings? I'm willing to get the Torque pro (paid app) but will that make any difference?
5252rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 07:04   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I bought an ELM327 and started using through Torque Lite App.

Since WagonR barely went out these days, I tried using it in our other vehicle (Gen 3 Honda City) with MID on an approx. 30km trip, resetting both at same time. The MID's fuel efficiency(13.4kmpl) and trip distance(32.2km) was different from the Torque app's fuel efficiency(12.7kmpl) and trip distance(31.4km) observed. For initial 8-10kms, the trip distance was same and as the trip progressed the deviation in readings was observed. I guess the gap will increase as trip becomes larger and larger. However rpm logs, speed logs etc. seems to be accurate.

My assumption was that the torque was reading data from ECU itself. If that was the case, why there is a variation in MID provided data and the ones from app? I updated the engine parameters such as cubic capacity & vehicle weight in 'General Preferences' of the App as per the car. Is there any other changes needed in settings? I'm willing to get the Torque pro (paid app) but will that make any difference?
Couple of things to get started. Have you upsized your tyres? If yes, this might be one cause of the variation. Also, you may see if Torque is getting trip distance data from ECU or GPS. Once you find the culprit, there is a correction factor in Torque to adjust for the variation I believe. Buying the Pro version might not make a difference in this case. I have seen slight variation between MID reading and Torque reading for FE, in your case it might be the difference in trip distance which is the root cause for both troubles.
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 09:01   #1484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The MID's fuel efficiency(13.4kmpl) and trip distance(32.2km) was different from the Torque app's fuel efficiency(12.7kmpl) and trip distance(31.4km) observed. For initial 8-10kms, the trip distance was same and as the trip progressed the deviation in readings was observed. I guess the gap will increase as trip becomes larger and larger. However rpm logs, speed logs etc. seems to be accurate.
I'm willing to get the Torque pro (paid app) but will that make any difference?
This is normal and seen in most cars. Getting Torque Pro (paid version) will not fix this. Because it is not the app that is the source of the error. I am using Torque Pro in my cars for many years now and I have observed similar things in most cars.

One thing that will help in getting more accurate numbers will be a better ODB reader. For example, the original OBDLink device I mentioned a few posts earlier is far more accurate.

Basically the OBD reader sends data in specific bursts at the rate of a few times a second to your app. And the app has to "integrate" this data over time to get the cumulative stats you are reading. There are bound to be small numerical errors in this data from time to time, and over the process of integration, they add up and you see the difference you mentioned. Thus, these are essentially "cumulative round-off errors". Getting a faster OBD reader (like the OBDLink series) which sends data more frequently and and also possibly with smaller errors will give you overall more accurate cumulative results.

However, in spite of using the most accurate OBD reader, never expect to match the MID numbers. The MID numbers themselves are not the most accurate to begin with. For example, your MID numbers will never match the tank-to-tank FE numbers. And the cumulative numbers shown by Torque Pro are usually in-between MID numbers and the tank-to-tank FE numbers, at least in my experience on multiple cars.

FE numbers are quite complex and how the data is sent and interpreted during various driving conditions (such as idling, quick accelerations, braking etc), and more importantly, how the numerical calculations are handled makes a lot of difference. Numerical methods have relatively higher round-off errors when applied to data that is changing very rapidly over time. These are inevitable to some extent. I have observed that if I measure FE over a relatively steady drive with not much idling or quick accelerations over a period of time (such as highway cruising) then the Torque Pro FE data is very close to real-world FE data. Else the numerical errors creep in.

Regarding the errors in distance, it is probably a matter of getting a better OBD reader. When I switched to ODBLink LX device from a cheaper ELM327 device, the distances became very accurate and now I have less than 1% error in cumulative distance measurements using Torque Pro.
Dr.AD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 07:50   #1485
BHPian

Hi All,
Need some suggestions on which OBD tool to buy for Manza 2009 Diesel. The engine check light is permanently off since a few days, car works fine though.

As per YouTube videos, the console needs changing which costs 15K or just the LED needs replacement or finally the ECM itself may be burnt or damaged to a small extent which costs upwards of 30K.

I have a old elm327, but does not work with my car (works on newer models of car). Does anyone know which OBD reader will work with my car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks