Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2013, 22:25   #631
BANNED

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Bought a ELM 327 to hook up to the obd port in a Scorpio. Initial test run went smoothly. FE and DTE figures depend a lot on the value we put in while setting up the profile.
Congrats on the ELM 327. I agree as the values like HP, Torque, Instantaneous FE, DTE all depend on the vehicle profile value. One thing that I have noticed is the Weight of the vehicle that has to be enetered which includes - drivers weight, accessories, fuel quantity and weight it contributes etc, how will this remain constant and what must be entered is what I am confused always.

Quote:
Now am on the look out for OBD apps on android. Tried Bosch one and Torque so far. Torque seems quite versatile and way more customizable.
I liked the Torque PRO App and using that presently. Tried a few others but the rest are not as good as Torque.

Quote:
In the HUD mode though, there is sort of a double image formation on the windscreen, any solutions?
I didn't get this problem your facing. Do you have any picture of the problem you facing?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 22:38   #632
BHPian

Quote:
FE and DTE figures depend a lot on the value we put in while setting up the profile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I agree as the values like HP, Torque, Instantaneous FE, DTE all depend on the vehicle profile value
This is because the FE/DTE is calculated based of MAF sensor value. It is not actual FE calculation from the injected fuel volume.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 23:13   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. In the HUD mode though, there is sort of a double image formation on the windscreen, any solutions?
Happens because the image from the screen is reflected off two surfaces of the windshield, the outer and inner. This I have observed to be more prominent in my SX4 and less in the wagonR. Due to the thick glass, you can see two images one reflected from each surface. Not sure but I think this is unavoidable but can be minimised by keeping the phone slightly inclined towards the front of the car and the image projected to the bottom of the windshield as far as possible. Thats how I try to reduce this effect.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 09:45   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the ELM 327. I agree as the values like HP, Torque, Instantaneous FE, DTE all depend on the vehicle profile value. One thing that I have noticed is the Weight of the vehicle that has to be enetered which includes - drivers weight, accessories, fuel quantity and weight it contributes etc, how will this remain constant and what must be entered is what I am confused always.
For now, I have put in the gross vehicle weight and that seems to be returning the FE what is commonly reported by other owners. So am guessing its working OK. The accuracy can only be verified once I get the FE from tankful to tankful.

Quote:
I liked the Torque PRO App and using that presently. Tried a few others but the rest are not as good as Torque.
Torque is seriously good. I am also considering buying it.

Quote:
I didn't get this problem your facing. Do you have any picture of the problem you facing?
In HUD mode, the display is reversed on the phone screen, and that is reflected on the car windshield, its here that double image/reflection appears. Will try to take a pic today and post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Happens because the image from the screen is reflected off two surfaces of the windshield, the outer and inner. This I have observed to be more prominent in my SX4 and less in the wagonR. Due to the thick glass, you can see two images one reflected from each surface. Not sure but I think this is unavoidable but can be minimised by keeping the phone slightly inclined towards the front of the car and the image projected to the bottom of the windshield as far as possible. Thats how I try to reduce this effect.
Right, that makes sense. Will try it that way and see. HUD is kinda cool otherwise the phone on a holder is an option always available.
Old 29th October 2013, 09:31   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Something like this, got this image off Google.
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-hqdefault.jpg

Also, what do you guys normally monitor? Torque just overwhelmed me with the amount of data it can display - and you can only fit so much on a 4.5" screen!
Old 29th October 2013, 10:50   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Something like this, got this image off Google.
Attachment 1159389

Also, what do you guys normally monitor? Torque just overwhelmed me with the amount of data it can display - and you can only fit so much on a 4.5" screen!
Torque is pretty good. As you said its really overwhelming. You really need some time to read and understand the basics. I use the paid version and this is what i I have configured.

I use 3 Screens.
Screen 1 : Raw Data Display Load, Intake
Screen 2 : Accel, Revs, Throttle, Speed, Boost, Coolant Temp,
Screen 3 : Baro, Trip KPL, Trip Cost, Dist Empty

Refer to Torque wiki for more explanation about the counters.
http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Main_Page

Wikipedia Page for codes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

BTW I like the default carbon fiber theme with round metallic dials.
Cheers,
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 02:22   #637
BANNED

Quote:
So a Tab 3 or a laptop would have how much display in one screen?!

Screen 1: Pedal D, Pedal E, Revvs, Fuel Rail pressure;
Screen 2: Average CO2 and instantaneous CO2;
Screen 3: Intake air pressure, intake temperature;
Screen 4: Eco Widget
Screen 5: EGR, EGR Error
Screen 6: Volts (CM), Volts (Ad)
Screen 7: HP, Torque
Screen 8: Load, Revvs, Speed, Fuel rail pressure, Boost, Coolant temperature
Screen 9: 0-60 mph, 0-100 kph, 1/4m time, 1/8m time, HP (Hardly use this screen)
Screen 10: Emissions readiness s/DTC
Screen 11: Revvs, fuel flow, Pedal D, Pedal E, MAF, Speed, Fuel Rail pressure
Screen 12: OBD Speed vs GPS Speed.

I know there are many overlap items in the screens I use but they keep changing as per usage and what I feel like checking. I love the App for it's user-friendly nature and the level of customization.

I have just downloaded another App called the 'Knock Detector". Will have to try how it works and does it give out any information.

Anurag.
Old 30th October 2013, 08:56   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So a Tab 3 or a laptop would have how much display in one screen?!
Well that's a lot of screens! Tab3 or laptop would for sure display many more gauges than what can be fitted on a phone's display on a single screen - and still be legible.

For now, I have made this simple screen. Have to try it out in the car though.
Name:  torque_screen2.png
Views: 2560
Size:  156.7 KB

The Rev counter is because the car is still in run-in mode and I have set an alarm if the revs cross 2200 rpm, let's see how it works.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 30th October 2013 at 09:00.
Old 30th October 2013, 09:56   #639
BHPian

I have a nexus 7 and can fit lot of dials. I have got its cover stand and anti slip pad. So next time it will be standing right in front of me at the dash

Name:  ForumRunner_20131030_095529.png
Views: 1688
Size:  238.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131030_095547.png
Views: 1707
Size:  245.9 KB

Too bad the screenshot button is not working!
Old 30th October 2013, 11:20   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Before getting one of these ELM 327 for my Toyota Fortuner I had a quick google lookup, and surprisingly there are reports that Fortuner does not seem to be OBD-II compliant. Though a few pages ago I see a post "... Toyota - all ..." as compliant, a few threads elsewhere suggests it uses KWP2000/M-OBD and hence instead of a cheapo ELM, we need a more sophisticated & expensive reader (only affordable by service stations) to read the readings. A little more googling finds EFI scan, but that's $142 and obviously not justified as just for fun project.
Hi Kousik,

I am using Vgate OBDII adapter. It works fine on Hyundai i10, VW Polo, Ford Figo. But I am unable to connect it on Toyota Innova and Toyota Fortuner.

Just like to know if you have tried connecting ELM onto your Fortuner?

TIA.
Regards,
Vishwas
Old 30th October 2013, 13:45   #641
BHPian

Hi All,

Any luck pairing this with a 2009 Vista QJD?
Anybody in Hyderabad that can lend me their adapter to check if it works in my car?
Don't want to invest in something and later regret.

Thanks.
Old 30th October 2013, 17:36   #642
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Hi All,

Anybody in Hyderabad that can lend me their adapter to check if it works in my car?
I'm in hyderabad. We can meet up and you can try for your Vista and decide to buy a new or no.

Anurag.
Old 31st October 2013, 18:49   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwasvr View Post
I am using Vgate OBDII adapter...

Just like to know if you have tried connecting ELM onto your Fortuner?
Not yet, though @devrajman has kindly offered to try one, I couldn't find time for the experiment. Actually after reading all the web forums, I'm not that hopeful but at the same time it wouldn't hurt to try. In my last short visit to US I tried to find one, but was confused about compatibility as i can't return it easily if that didn't work. Maybe one these days I'll try 327 myself and post the result, that'll close the issue for all.
kousik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 21:02   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Hi All,

Don't want to invest in something and later regret.

Thanks.
Hi bigben, it doesn't work with 2008 and 2009 Vista QJD. But works fine in my cousin's 2011 Vista.

Anyway just give a try, in case if you are able to meet Anurag.
Old 31st October 2013, 21:21   #645
BHPian

I read that Toyota uses m-obd (multiplex obd). So obdII is not compatible with Toyota.

Thanks for replying!

Cheers!

Most Viewed