BANNED

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Get an extension cable like this and your problem is solved
Nice find buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Doesn't your current phone do this? OBD or the infotainment system may not allow 2 devices to connect but your phone should be able to connect to both, simultaneously.
No, it doesn't allow. You can either use the mobile for other purposes or for Torque app. Multi-window is not possible.

Quote:
The instantaneous FE goes crazy in my car too - scorpio, have seen it go up to 90! The average FE is more down to earth at 11.7 kmpl.
I too have seen these readings of 90 kmpl when the foot is off the pedal and when the turbo is ON the mileage figures go down to 11 kmpl.

Quote:
I have left it connected. The phone detects it only after I turn the ignition key by a notch - where you music system etc come on.
The phone will detect it via the ECU and ignition is switched ON. Connect the reader and look at the LED lights on the reader it will be blinking (Power on).

Quote:
Are you sure about the battery drain? The phone can't find the device unless I switch on the power, if it was getting some power all the time wouldn't it show up on the phone?
I am sure about the OBD reader is ON always and it does take up a little power from the battery. The phone will detect it only via the ECU and when th eignition is ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My phone can either pair up with the headunit bluetooth or the obd.
Correct. It is one work at the time!

Quote:
Is there any way to overcome this limitation. Its a Samsung Galaxy Y Duos.
You'll ahve to buy another Android mobile special for the OBD if your that interested and can't live without music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
I've tried using the ELM327 dongle and my Jabra BT headset at the same time, and it worked. I use Torque App on my LGE-960 running Android 4.3
That is a bluetooth set that pairs will be infotainment system and the mobile will pair up with the OBD reader.

Quote:
It shouldn't cause any trouble, but since it draws power from the vehicle battery, removing it when you park the car for a few hours or more is a good idea.
Good one buddy. If your frequently on the road then it will be useful but if parking over 2-3 hours then remove the reader from the port.

Quote:
Clearing error codes using the App will not cause any problems with the ECU maps. The dongle and the Torque app use only some generic commands. For anything specific to be done, there are manufacturer-specific protocols and commands, which are not easily available on such third party products.
Agreed. Only generic codes are read and allowed access. For all manufacturer specific ones we have to contact the manufacturer. For Example Suzuki uses SDT (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool) which is not found on the Torque App.

Quote:
The phone can't find the device because it's BT is not activated. Doesn't mean that the device is not drawing any power since the BT is not active. I'm sure you'd see one of the LEDs start glowing the moment you plug it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Sorry, I missed to state this clearly - I use an iPhone and used wife's Android phone for two days to test OBD device I recently bought. Before I switch to an android device (for lack of better OBD app on iPhone like fun2drive or torque Pro), I must ensure that the phone I plan to buy will connect to my infotainment unit for handsfree phone interface as well as OBD device at a time.
You will have to keep two mobiles for this purpose. One for infotainment and one for OBD purpose.

Quote:
While I was testing the OBD device, my iPhone4S did not show up the ELM OBD II in the available bluetooth device list for pairing. So I thought it won't work with my iPhone4S running iOS7!
The Torque App is for Android OS. If I ain't wrong.

Quote:
QUICK EDIT - seems like while I posted, @Silversteed answered this question Verdict is, a capable android phone can serve two!
Are you sure?!

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:46   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The Torque App is for Android OS. If I ain't wrong
Hey Anurag!

I meant - there is no equivalent great app on iOS app store like TorquePro on Android. DryIce suggested Rev for iPhone and I have to try it yet.

The point I made is - for ELM 347 to work, even before you go to relevant app (say fun2drive), the phone has to pair up with device. Once pairing done, then comes app and readings part. Pairing is done in every smartphone's settings section for bluetooth devices - just like you pair your handsfree equipments.

So, to pair up, you must be able to see the "pair-able" devices there first. For my iPhone4S, the OBD ELM chip didn't show up.

Now things to note here are -
  • Handsfree uses a different profile to connect
  • Other devices like OBD should have a different channels or protocols - may be direct port communication.
  • Based on what OBD chip complies to, it will either show up in the settings ->Bluetooth section. It didn't show for me on one android device I tried from my stock. It was OS 2.2. So the bluetooth versions, OS versions may be playing role here part from hardware compatibilities if any.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:50   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, possible. Though the adapter I have doesn't have any LEDs, so I can't be sure if its drawing power or not. Will have to find out. If it indeed draws some current, its better to remove it when parking overnight.
There are very many of them available, so, yes, some of them don't have any visual indication. The only way to find out will be to use a good multi-meter (Fluke, Agilent etc., and not some cheap one) to note the current drawn from the battery with and without the dongle connected. If you like fiddling with some wires and plugs, get some wires, pins and sockets that fit into the OBD port and make a small jig where you can tap the VSUPPLY line through the multimeter probes

Quote:
No, it doesn't allow. You can either use the mobile for other purposes or for Torque app. Multi-window is not possible.
The phone pairs with both the Infotainment system (for calls, I assume) and with Torque/Torque-Pro for OBD info. I don't see the need for multi-window here!

Quote:
I too have seen these readings of 90 kmpl when the foot is off the pedal and when the turbo is ON the mileage figures go down to 11 kmpl.
The app calculates FE based on instantaneous fuel flow. When you take the foot off the A-pedal, DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off) comes to play, which practically cuts off the fuel supply - only a very minimal amount of fuel will be pumped in. And, FE is calculated as distance covered with a unit amount of fuel. When you give some throttle input, the fuel flow increases and the FE calculation shows lower values.

Quote:
  • Other devices like OBD should have a different channels or protocols - may be direct port communication.
  • Based on what OBD chip complies to, it will either show up in the settings ->Bluetooth section. It didn't show for me on one android device I tried from my stock. It was OS 2.2. So the bluetooth versions, OS versions may be playing role here part from hardware compatibilities if any.
You get full marks!

BT versions, OS versions all play a role. Do check the Torque App forums for more details:
http://torque-bhp.com/forums/

Last edited by silversteed : 15th November 2013 at 11:58.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:52   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The phone will detect it via the ECU and ignition is switched ON. Connect the reader and look at the LED lights on the reader it will be blinking (Power on).

I am sure about the OBD reader is ON always and it does take up a little power from the battery. The phone will detect it only via the ECU and when th eignition is ON.

Thats a bummer then!

About the power part, I guess better to remove the adapter when parking overnight.

Quote:
Hey Anurag!

I meant - there is no equivalent great app on iOS app store like TorquePro on Android. DryIce suggested Rev for iPhone and I have to try it yet.

The point I made is - for ELM 347 to work, even before you go to relevant app (say fun2drive), the phone has to pair up with device. Once pairing done, then comes app and readings part. Pairing is done in every smartphone's settings section for bluetooth devices - just like you pair your handsfree equipments.

So, to pair up, you must be able to see the "pair-able" devices there first. For my iPhone4S, the OBD ELM chip didn't show up.

Now things to note here are -
Yes, even I think it could be due to BT profiles or versions. But seriously, this is
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 12:40   #680
BHPian

Quote:
My phone can either pair up with the headunit bluetooth or the obd.

Is there any way to overcome this limitation. Its a Samsung Galaxy Y Duos.
Multiple device connection should be possible but there is a chance that older APIs (galaxy y has android 2.3) might not support it. Search for some apps in google play, you may find a solution. I think multiple devices should connect.

Quote:

While I was testing the OBD device, my iPhone4S did not show up the ELM OBD II in the available bluetooth device list for pairing. So I thought it won't work with my iPhone4S running iOS7!

There you are! Hope there is a solution, else I will not give away my iPhone for this ELM tool!
iPhone's bluetooth connection is kind of worst(no offence). In earlier version it only showed iPhones in the pair list. Although it should have been improved by iOS7 but i still think it won't detect an chinese obd scanner(for security reasons maybe). An android phone is your answer. Maybe try a tablet. I have a nexus 7 which is use for nav+obd.

Quote:
About the power part, I guess better to remove the adapter when parking overnight.
It draws roughly 130mA of current. If car won't be used for a week or so, then it should be removed. I've kept it in port for 2-3 days(with car not being used) and there was no problem.

Last edited by skyfire2892 : 15th November 2013 at 12:47.
Old 15th November 2013, 14:32   #681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
Multiple device connection should be possible but there is a chance that older APIs (galaxy y has android 2.3) might not support it. Search for some apps in google play, you may find a solution. I think multiple devices should connect.
Noobie problems

The phone managed to connect to both the headunit and the OBD.
I just needed to test it a little better.
Old 15th November 2013, 16:07   #682
BHPian

Hi all
Do these obd readers also show fuel level?

My petra fuel gauge was never perfect
Old 15th November 2013, 19:00   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It draws roughly 130mA of current. If car won't be used for a week or so, then it should be removed. I've kept it in port for 2-3 days(with car not being used) and there was no problem.

I think it cant draw any power when the ignition switch is turned off. So leaving the device there won't be a problem. I have left my USB version there from a long time. The device powers up only when the car is in ON status with engine still off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
Hi all
That parameter is supported by OBDII however the car must be OBD-II compliant and also it should support the PID. Not all cars support all PIDs. Hence, the information available to you will vary.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 19:11   #684
BHPian

I guess the question of whether the OBD device is 'always on' differs with each car, just like the cigar lighter socket. For example, in my Figo, both the cigar lighter socket and the OBD port are always on (going by the LEDs), even if the ignition is off.

Quote:
Did you give DashCommand a try?

Quote:
[*]Other devices like OBD should have a different channels or protocols - may be direct port communication.
Yes it typically uses Bluetooth SPP (Serial Port Profile)

Last edited by sara.ramli : 15th November 2013 at 19:16.
Old 15th November 2013, 19:42   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

I think it cant draw any power when the ignition switch is turned off. So leaving the device there won't be a problem. I have left my USB version there from a long time. The device powers up only when the car is in ON status with engine still off.
Don't know about USB one but Bluetooth ones take power even when car is off. Mine has a LED which glows up when it's connected even when car is off.
The reason is scanner can be paired even when car is off so Bluetooth transceiver needs to get power from somewhere.
Old 15th November 2013, 20:29   #686
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post

Did you give DashCommand a try?
Yes Dashcommand is the app for iPhone, but it will require wifi OBD-II adapter which are slightly costly.
One way to still use Dascommand with Buetooth OBD is to install some cydia packages in jailbroken iphone. What this essentially does is it will make dascommand think that it is interfacing with a wifi IP, while in reality you will be interfacing with bluetooth adapter.

Detailed info is available on net, just google.

Haven't tested this as I haven't bought the adapter yet. Someone with a jailbroken iPhone running on iOS 6 can easily check and share the results and the best thing is, it is free (for testing purposes of course)

Last edited by Apple Master : 15th November 2013 at 20:31.
Old 15th November 2013, 22:19   #687
BANNED

Quote:
It draws roughly 130mA of current. If car won't be used for a week or so, then it should be removed. I've kept it in port for 2-3 days (with car not being used) and there was no problem.
This is exactly what I wanted to convey. If the car will be parked for more than 2 hours it is better to remove it as it will keep drawing battery power.

Quote:
The phone managed to connect to both the headunit and the OBD. I just needed to test it a little better.
I tried to pair the bluetooth HU (friends car) and bluetooth of my OBD reader in his car and both worked flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
The Fuel % is picked up from the vehicle profile and calculates the distance to empty, instantaneous fuel. All these ain't that accurate as you have to enter the Total Weight of the car (fuel + drivers weight + car weight + accessories).

Quote:
I think it cant draw any power when the ignition switch is turned off. So leaving the device there won't be a problem. The device powers up only when the car is in ON status with engine still off.
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-obd.jpg

As you can see this image of the OBD II reader, the 'Power' and 'OBD' light keep glowing and blinking continuously in my car even when the key is not present in the key hole. I repeat, the Pin No,: 16 is connected to the battery that draws small amount of power. As stated by 'Skyfire' - 130mA.

Quote:
That parameter is supported by OBDII however the car must be OBD-II compliant and also it should support the PID. Not all cars support all PIDs. Hence, the information available to you will vary.
Exactly the PID and ECU must give the OBD reader that sensor value to get displayed on your mobile.

Quote:
Don't know about USB one but Bluetooth ones take power even when car is off. Mine has a LED which glows up when it's connected even when car is off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for the mood prevailing over, a few screen shots of my Ritz VDi.

Acceleration from 80 - 100 kmph

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-accl-80100-1.jpg

Acceleration from 80 kmph

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-accl-80100.jpg

At 80 kmph constant:

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-80-kmph.jpg

At 100 kmph constant:

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-100-kmph.jpg

The HP and Torque during upshift from 4th to 5th gear:

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-hp-torque.jpg

No accelerator input------------------ 90.3 KMPL (Don't know what the ECU is thinking)

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-no-acc.jpg

Quote:
The instantaneous FE goes crazy in my car too - scorpio, have seen it go upto 90! The average FE is more down to earth at 11.7kmpl.
The above screen shot is for you!

Cheers,
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th November 2013 at 22:22.
Old 15th November 2013, 22:24   #688
BHPian

For iOS with bluetooth issues and folks who are already using bluetooth for infotainment, can buy ELM37 with WiFi.

WiFi ELM327 can connect to same apps like Torque. They are little expensive but solves all the hurdles.

They are available on ebay, just search for WIFI ELM327.

ALL OBD Readers are getting power even in OFF mode, however some good chips go in power saving mode when not used for prolonged periods.

Some apps allows custom-PIDs to be added. You can find out what is the PID and add it in the display. So not only Fuel Level but other information which isnt displayed can be seen.

Here is an app which says it can connect to multiple devices simultaneously:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...thwidget&hl=en
Old 15th November 2013, 22:35   #689
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Some apps allows custom-PIDs to be added. You can find out what is the PID and add it in the display. So not only Fuel Level but other information which isnt displayed can be seen.
Torque Pro App does allow the addition of custom PID's.

How can we know the PID and how to add?

Anurag.
Old 15th November 2013, 22:49   #690
BHPian

A noob question.

Was planning to buy an OBD adapter for my Innova V Diesel (2013). Is OBD port in Innova OBD-II compliant?

Thanks.

Most Viewed