Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 22:35   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramanyam84 View Post
Hello,

Can anyone tell where the OBD port in a TATA Ace (the two cylinder very first Ace) is?
I doubt if you could find one. The ace engine is an IDI naturally aspirated one which might not even have an ECU to control it. But I am just guessing. Even if a port is present, Tata may not have implemented the OBD protocol.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:56   #722
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramanyam84 View Post
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question. Request the mods to move it to a more appropriate forum if so.

Can anyone tell where the OBD port in a TATA Ace (the two cylinder very first Ace) is?

Regards,
Subramanyam
Even if the Tata Ace had one OBD II port then if I am not wrong it will be pre-2009 model so that won't be OBD II anyway so a OBD II reader won't work either. Only what reader Tata uses will function with manufacturer specific codes.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 16:43   #723
BHPian

guys is it possible to read VW canbus data. I have a Polo C/L P that came with RCD220 which I swapped to MapmyIndia AVNR from VW showroom, heard somewhere on the forum that new stock HUs even on TSI are non CANBUS, but is there any canbus line on the HU main connector or even they do not exist?

If its not there then where does the HU understand dimming signal, reverse gear engagement(my Mapmyindia has rear camera installed)? I also heard that VW HUs are always "ON" kinds and are booted thru canbus signal, same is the case with my Mapmyindia HU, it remains "on" for around 10 seconds even after the key is removed.

can experts throw some light on the subject...

I was planning to
a. upgrade to Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 which sure is a canbus compatible unit
b. try to hook into canbus and try any mods possible with the canbus data.

Last edited by mishraak : 17th December 2013 at 16:46. Reason: question repainted from another thread on TBHP
Old 21st December 2013, 22:18   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

I brought a VGate ELM scan bluetooth version. Didnt try out torque but I find that battery reading is shown as 4.8v both through scanmaster as well as a windows phone app. Other readings are accurate.

Anyone else facing the same problem? My USB adaptor used to read voltage accurately. By battery voltage I mean the actual battery voltage. There is another PID which refers to control module voltage and that is correct. The analogue voltage received by the reader isnt correct. If anyone else has the same adaptor please let me know if it is the same with you guys or I have got a defective piece. I think there is an internal regulator which is converting 12v to 5v for the bluetooth module and I am getting the reading of the regulator output.
Old 24th December 2013, 00:10   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmint View Post
...I got Tata Manza Bharat III. - Feb. 2011
I have also acquired a V1.5 ELM327 OBD2 OBDII CAN-BUS Diagnostic Scanner USB...but I am unable to connect to my vehicles ECU.
The Scanmaster ELM shows only the battery level, with the following output :
Any luck with solutions to this please? I got exactly the same issue with my Jan 2010 made BSIII manza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Ok folks I checked and it was not reading the ECU on my 2009 vista. I did connect it to my bro's 2010 manza and it connected. So I guess mine is pre OBD II...
Could you please find out and let me know if this manza was BSIII or IV? thanks

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
I do not know anyone from Delhi NCR who has a OBD II scanner. Do you know anyone who has one? I am putting up at Vaishali and anyone from Noida, East Delhi or Indirapuram will work for me. I can get in touch with them.
I am in Indirapuram and would like you to try the OBDII reader I got yesterday. It sadly did not work on my Manza (see post above). I am however leaving NCR tomorrow and will be back on Sat. If you are happy to test in your car, please PM me your number and I'll call as soon as I am back. thanks

Last edited by amit1234singla : 24th December 2013 at 00:24.
Old 24th December 2013, 07:28   #726
BHPian

Could you please find out and let me know if this manza was BSIII or IV? thanks

It is a BS4 manza
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 19:27   #727
BHPian

Hi All, I am planning to buy the following OBD tool. Is this compatible with Hyundai i20 CRDI?
Is it worth buying paying 10k towards this OBD scanner?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-OBD-II-Di...ht_8328wt_1186
Old 25th December 2013, 19:43   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Hi All, I am planning to buy the following OBD tool. Is this compatible with Hyundai i20 CRDI?

Buy an elm adapter for 1k and a cheap tablet for around 6k. Still a better story than the device shown in the Ebay listing If you have an android phone then tablet is also not requried.

Any reason you didnt consider one?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 19:49   #729
BHPian

Quote:

Other alternatives to a ELM327 is:
http://www.amazon.com/ScanGaugeE-Mul...ords=scangauge

OR

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
Old 25th December 2013, 20:47   #730
BANNED

Quote:
Is it worth buying paying 10k towards this OBD
Why don't you buy a ELM 327 OBD II reader first and check whether it is working or no!

If it does then plonk that money into the OBD II reader. I hope your serious with the scanner as I feel 11.5K for a scanner is steep. If your into electronics, ECU etc then it makes sense but for everyday usage of just knowing the status a normal bluetooth / USB OBD II reader is sufficient.

My two cents.

Anurag.
Old 25th December 2013, 23:25   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If your into electronics, ECU etc then it makes sense but for everyday usage of just knowing the status a normal bluetooth / USB OBD II reader is sufficient.

What difference does the 11k device offer to a person into electronics that an ELM327 cant offer? OBD is the same everywhere no matter which device it is, unless its the one used by the authorised workshop with greater parameters on display.
Old 25th December 2013, 23:40   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
What difference does the 11k device offer to a person into electronics that an ELM327 cant offer? OBD is the same everywhere no matter which device it is, unless its the one used by the authorised workshop with greater parameters on display.
Generic ELM327 clones do not support/show all process IDs (PID).
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 23:42   #733
BHPian

Bought this one recently and using with Torque pro android app. The car is a Figo and and I am having a tough time setting a profle and getting some gauges to work. For Ex. how does the acceleration meter work? How do I know which parameters the Figo port is feeding the device?

MaSh
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-bt_mini.jpg  

Old 25th December 2013, 23:45   #734
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
It doesn't make any difference but they are dedicated rather than the one that I use with my Android mobile and a App.

I prefer such devices than using my mobile but can't spend such high amount as ain't into electronics. The scanners that workshops use are also costly so it depends on the end user add to what he wants.

A separate OBD II reader mounted on the dash with live feed then such are the ones to choose for.

Information output may be the same but dedicated so it is easier and faster but not all data is displayed in the normal cheap OBD II readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
For Ex. how does the acceleration meter work? How do I know which parameters the Figo port is feeding the device?
Goto the setting profile and check for the OBD port status, in that there will be 'Available Sensors' which is being given out by your Figo's ECU.

The acceleration meter - works on how much movement the mobile is getting while the car is on the move. For accurate or near accurate readings you'll have to mount the mobile.

When you try adding a display the parameters highlighted in Green are active ones and information is given out by your cars ECU.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th December 2013 at 23:56.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 23:58   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Goto the setting profile and check for the OBD port status, in that there will be 'Available Sensors' which is being given out by your Figo's ECU.

The acceleration meter - works on how much movement the mobile is getting while the car is on the move. For accurate or near accurate readings you'll have to mount the mobile.

When you try adding a display the parameters highlighted in Green are active ones and information is given out by your cars ECU.

Anurag.
Alright will check that option in the settings. Can we then select only those parameters?

Is acceleration based on the GPS and not on a acceleration signal from ECU? The acceleration meter showed no movement even when the car is moving, will have to check if the GPS was on or not. That will confirm it.

I did add some non-green parameters and they do work fine. That is what is confusing me.

MaSh

Last edited by mashmash : 26th December 2013 at 00:00.
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed