Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2013, 01:01   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Generic ELM327 clones do not support/show all process IDs (PID).
Neither do these standalone devices as they are manufacturer specific. These devices can show common PIDs only. Sometime back I had sent a message to the seller of the 11k product. He informed that it wont show manufacturer specific PIDs. Hence, it wont make sense to spend so much on the product. Similar functionality can be achieved through the phone itself.
Old 27th December 2013, 10:55   #737
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need some help, please.

I'm not able to use my OBD II code reader on a friend's Dzire diesel (previous generation model). It's not able to communicate with the ECU at all. The car does have a 16-pin trapezoid-shaped port under the dash to which I can connect the device. Also, my OBD II reader has a provision to test the battery and alternator voltage from the OBD II port (i.e. basically it can read the circuit voltage when the ignition is on and the engine is on). Surprisingly, I am able to check the battery and alternator voltage with the device through the diagnostic port, but I'm not able to get it to communicate with the ECU to identify the cause of the glowing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

What baffles me further is that a few weeks ago, I was able to use the same OBD II code reader on my cousin's Swift diesel (previous generation model again) which uses the same engine and presumably the same ECU too. It worked just fine on my cousin's Swift diesel, but doesn't even communicate with the ECU on my friend's Dzire diesel.

What could be the issue here?

Do the Maruti Suzuki DDiS engines have different ECUs or use different protocols for different model years? I believe DDiS engines use ECUs developed by Magneti Marelli, due to the Italian origins (FIAT) of these diesel engines. Could someone confirm this?

It's also possible that my cousin's Swift is a BS4 model, while my friend's Dzire is an older BSIII car. I'm not sure of this, will confirm it soon.

Do the BSIII DDiS engines use a proprietary Suzuki protocol, while the BS4 versions of the same engine use one of the protocols supported by OBD II? This could be a probable reason for my OBD II reader not being able to communicate with the ECU on the Dzire.

Or is there something wrong with the cables and connectors on my friend's Dzire (such as a frayed wire caused by a rat bite or something else)?

Does anyone know if OBD II code readers work with all previous generation Swift/Dzire diesels, especially the earlier BSIII models?

If the older engines use a proprietary Suzuki protocol, then I guess the only way forward would be to take the DZire to a Maruti garage and get it scanned with their diagnostic equipment to identify the cause of the glowing MIL.

Any replies, ideas and suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited by RSR : 27th December 2013 at 10:59.
Old 27th December 2013, 11:09   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Guys, I need some help, please.

I'm not able to use my OBD II code reader on a friend's Dzire diesel (previous generation model). It's not able to communicate with the ECU at all.
This is expected. ELM327 is not compatible with previous generation Swift and Swift Dzire diesel.

Actually im surprised to know that it works in some (mostly BSIV) Swift Dzire Diesel Previous generation.

I have Autosnap IN805 (which works with all old/new Indian Cars) and will try to see what are per-defined OBD protocols for these models to know the difference.
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 11:14   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Mostly its the older Bs3 version and hence not working. In case you are using Scanmaster on laptop, open terminal and give the following codes:

AT Z

You should get a response as ELM327 V1.5

Next hit

AT SP 00

You should get a reply as OK. After that, give the following input

00 0A

You should get a reply starting from 41. If you do, you have a compatible ECU. If only first two steps work then the ECU is not OBD II compatible.

Most cars will give you battery voltage irrespective of being compliant or not as the battery voltage is available at pin 16 of the port and ground at 4. Only the other pins are configured depending upon protocol used. Hence battery voltage is displayed and other parameters arent.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 12:05   #740
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Actually im surprised to know that it works in some (mostly BSIV) Swift Dzire Diesel Previous generation.

I have Autosnap IN805 (which works with all old/new Indian Cars) and will try to see what are per-defined OBD protocols for these models to know the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Mostly its the older Bs3 version and hence not working. In case you are using Scanmaster on laptop,

Most cars will give you battery voltage irrespective of being compliant or not as the battery voltage is available at pin 16 of the port and ground at 4. Only the other pins are configured depending upon protocol used. Hence battery voltage is displayed and other parameters arent.
Wow, that was quick. Thank you so much for the replies, devrajman and audioholic!

My device is an Autel AL539b. It does work very well on my cousin's previous gen. Swift diesel (I guess his car has to be a BS4, then). And the Dzire must be a BSIII engine, and that should explain the incompatibility issue. And the 16th pin being connected to the power supply as standard should explain why I can get the battery and alternator voltage readings, but not the error codes.

Now the only option would be to take the car to a Maruti Suzuki authorised service centre with the equipment to decipher the proprietary protocol and diagnose the cause of the MIL.

In hindsight, I guess I should have bought Autosnap instead of Autel. But can't do anything about the past now. In any case, my reader does work fine on both my Indica and my dad's i10, so it's not a big issue.

I'll convey the incompatibility reason to my friend and ask him to take it to a MASS or an independent garage with the required diagnostic equipment. Thanks a ton, guys, you've been really helpful!
Old 27th December 2013, 13:30   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Thanks a ton, guys, you've been really helpful!
Your welcome..

If your friend is in Bangalore, He can approach me, I have professional diagnostic tools at my place and would be happy to scan his car for errors!
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 14:18   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

@devraj, if this is a suitable place how much does the autosnap retail for?
Old 27th December 2013, 14:33   #743
BHPian

Hey guys, can you pls help me to locate the OBD port on the 2011 Chevy Beat Petrol? Buying the below OBD today, looks like it will be compatible. Not sure if its V1.5 or 2.1 , I have asked the seller about the version. Its pretty cheap 8.08 USD , comes to Rs 525.20 considering paypal rates

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111208676958...84.m1423.l2649
Old 27th December 2013, 15:46   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Hey guys, can you pls help me to locate the OBD port on the 2011 Chevy Beat Petrol? Buying the below OBD today, looks like it will be compatible. Not sure if its V1.5 or 2.1 , I have asked the seller about the version. Its pretty cheap 8.08 USD , comes to Rs 525.20 considering paypal rates

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111208676958...84.m1423.l2649
Why not look at something that is available in India itself.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/111193354036?...84.m1497.l2649

or

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Android-Bluet...item27d84074fb

Last edited by vikram_d : 27th December 2013 at 15:48.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 18:33   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Why not look at something that is available in India itself.
Bro, whats the difference between V1.5 and V2.1 . Indian sellers lootofy man.
see this link its 7.91 USD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111203325259...84.m1423.l2649
Old 27th December 2013, 18:51   #746
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Bro, whats the difference between V1.5 and V2.1 . Indian sellers lootofy man.
see this link its 7.91 USD
The Software Rev v2.1 and the Hardware Rev v1.5 (there is no hardware v2.1 in market, its only software rev v2.1, so please aware before buying)

This is what the seller has to say when I asked him the sane question.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th December 2013 at 18:55.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 19:12   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The Software Rev v2.1 and the Hardware Rev v1.5 (there is no hardware v2.1 in market, its only software rev v2.1, so please aware before buying)

This is what the seller has to say when I asked him the sane question.

Anurag.
So this means V1.5 can be upgraded (flashed) with V2.1 for sure as there is no change in the hardware. Will go ahead and buy the Super mini for 7.91 USD and wait till it comes.
Old 27th December 2013, 21:48   #748
BANNED

Apple iTunes store has an OBD II reader by the name of "Automatic" - ( www.automatic.com ). It costs $99.95 and the manufacturer says it will work only in the US. I think it should work here too. Has anyone used it in India and if so how well does it work.
Old 29th December 2013, 03:27   #749

When connected below ELM device to my polo, torque app shows Vehicle Speed in available sensor. But I don't get speed readings. Tried multiple android apps, but same result.
No errors stored in ECU as well. What can be the possible issue? ECU faulty?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Android-Torqu...item33890da2d3

Car is polo 2010 1.2 (P) comfortline (non-abs)
Old 29th December 2013, 08:04   #750
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidzPolo View Post
When connected below ELM device to my polo, torque app shows Vehicle Speed in available sensor. But I don't get speed readings. Tried multiple android apps, but same result.
No errors stored in ECU as well. What can be the possible issue? ECU faulty?

Car is polo 2010 1.2 (P) comfortline (non-abs)
I hope you have not added the 'Speed indicator displayed using GPS' and not switched ON the GPS. There will be two sensors avaliable for Speed:

1) Output using GPS
2) Output using ECU

Anurag.

Most Viewed