Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2014, 00:41   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Well, I am sure this must been answered earlier but I only found them 1-2 years back on this thread.k with Maurti Alto LXi 2008 model?
I am not into serious diagnosis but casual information should be helpful like MPH, etc.
Many things have changed but the hardware of your car still remains the same :-) So it won't work in your car.
Old 7th February 2014, 01:32   #782
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh159 View Post
Well, I am sure this must been answered earlier but I only found them 1-2 years back on this thread. Many things have changed including the hardware of the reader. So does this work with Maurti Alto LXi 2008 model? I am not into serious diagnosis but casual information should be helpful like MPH, etc.
The car you own is manufactured in 2008 but the link that you have provided that is a OBD 2 reader that is functional in cars manufactured after mid-2009, mostly all cars were OBD 2 compliant by 2010 so the OBD reader will not work in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Many things have changed but the hardware of your car still remains the same. So it won't work in your car.

You put it in a simple way!

Anurag.
Old 7th February 2014, 09:41   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The car you own is manufactured in 2008 but the link that you have provided that is a OBD 2 reader that is functional in cars manufactured after mid-2009, mostly all cars were OBD 2 compliant by 2010 so the OBD reader will not work in your car.

You put it in a simple way!

Anurag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Many things have changed but the hardware of your car still remains the same :-) So it won't work in your car.
Thanks for killing my last hope
I was almost sure that it won't work but was waiting for some surprise which didn't happened.
Old 11th February 2014, 12:41   #784
BHPian

I am planning to pick up one of the transparent blue OBD2 Scanners.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Torque-SuperM...3a3ef34&_uhb=1

will this work as a plug-n-play for all cars or do i have to configure the data for each time I plug it into a car. E.g.: I use it on my Fiesta and then unplug it and use it on my Innova. Will I have to enter some parameters everytime?
Old 11th February 2014, 12:51   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
will this work as a plug-n-play for all cars or do i have to configure the data for each time I plug it into a car
That's plug & play, you don't have to reconfigure the OBD scanner as such. It reads the parameters available over the OBD ports & relays the same to an App such as Torque available on Android. The ebay posting seems to show-case a CD but there is no mention of any free app being provided alongside. I think there are offerings which do give you a free app. It will be the app which will correctly identify the vehicle & even store it as part of a profile. You would thereby have 2 such profiles.
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 14:19   #786
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to pick up one of the transparent blue OBD2 Scanners.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Torque-SuperM...3a3ef34&_uhb=1
I ordered precisely the same scanner from the same seller and received it a couple of days ago. It is plug-and-play and works as any other bluetooth device when talking to a phone app (like Torque). I tried it on Figo and Wagon-R successively. Almost all the information can be read without requiring any kind of reconfiguration across cars. However, MPG and some other parameters (forgot which one) require car specific information (like fuel capacity and vehicle weight) for which a "vehicle profile" needs to be created in the app (Torque). You could keep two profiles created and use appropriate one when you switch the car.

Yes, the CD that I received did contain Torque Android app and some PC app as well.

HTH.
RishikeshK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 14:30   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
I ordered precisely the same scanner from the same seller and received it a couple of days ago. It is plug-and-play and works as any other bluetooth device when talking to a phone app (like Torque). I tried it on Figo and Wagon-R successively. Almost all the information can be read without requiring any kind of reconfiguration across cars. However, MPG and some other parameters (forgot which one) require car specific information (like fuel capacity and vehicle weight) for which a "vehicle profile" needs to be created in the app (Torque). You could keep two profiles created and use appropriate one when you switch the car.

Yes, the CD that I received did contain Torque Android app and some PC app as well.

HTH.
Thanks for the info RishikeshK. Good to know that someone bought a similar scanner and it is working perfectly. A small question though... Does the CD contain the Torque Pro app or is it the free Torque app?
Old 11th February 2014, 14:38   #788
BHPian

Am glad to be of help.

Quote:
Does the CD contain the Torque Pro app or is it the free Torque app?
CD contained the Torque Pro version.
RishikeshK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 15:02   #789
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
However, MPG and some other parameters (forgot which one) require car specific information (like fuel capacity and vehicle weight) for which a "vehicle profile" needs to be created in the app (Torque)
For correct figures of the following parameters:

1) FE
2) HP
3) Torque
4) CO2 (Instantaneous)
5) Distance To Empty (Estimated)
6) Fuel Cost (Trip)
7) Fuel Remaining
8) KPL (Instantaneous)
9) Turbo Boost & Vacuum Guage

All of these need accurate data to be filled in the vehicle profile.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 13:01   #790
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's something interesting that was forwarded to me by a tech-savvy friend after an animated discussion on the future of on-board diagnostics over dinner last night.

It seems to be the brainchild of 2 Singapore-based tech geeks who do this in their spare time. It is in pre-production right now but they hope to be ready to ship from next month.

Visit the link for full details but here are some extracts:
Quote:
Clickdrive doesn't work the same way as regular adapters. Rather than limiting you to running a single App on your mobile device, Clickdrive allows you to run many apps simultaneously - on the device, on your mobile, on aftermarket displays and on the cloud. This is the future of connected cars:
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-clickdrive.jpg
As for what's unique about this device compared to the hundreds in the market already, they say:
Quote:
Clickdrive does not make calls, play tunes or check your mail. It is designed with one purpose - to connect your car. There is no other device on the market with the same combination of performance, reliability and security. In particular what makes Clickdrive unique:
  • Run multiple Driving Apps at the same time
  • Connect with Android/iOS/Windows mobile devices
  • Upgradable module - increase storage or add GSM connectivity
Old 12th February 2014, 16:10   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Here's something interesting that was forwarded to me by a tech-savvy friend after an animated discussion on the future of on-board diagnostics ...
Hmmm... Nice, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with on-board diagnostics.

* Catchy themes like 'Social Apps running on the cloud' are going to raise hackles on 2 key issues: Privacy, and malicious behaviour of 'unsocial' individuals - hacking!

* Another instance of innocent assumption that everyone wants their location to be known at all times.

* Nothing new - nothing more than what exists today: only add-on bells and whistles relying on the data that is put on CAN-Bus. Plenty of free and paid Apps use the ubiquitous dongles that read that data - though this seems to be another serious attempt at a coordinated system (hardware and software together; there have been a few earlier too, but economics prevailed otherwise)

* Sadly no solutions to the most major problem - standardization of on-board data (on-board the ECU/s) and interface to the real world. Not in their control!

* They still would need a dozen or so manufacturer-specific variants of their product. The user will not be able just take out the add-on system when they move to another manufacturer's car (9 times out of 10).

Not their fault, though. It is the manufacturers who don't seem to be able to work to a common standard despite having little or no difference as compared to another manufacturer's equipment. We still have 'manufacturer specific' codes in the OBD CAN-Bus message set, despite they putting data no different from that of another manufacturer!

This reminds me of the situation in the field of Elevators: one manufacturer's elevator controls will not talk with Supervisory controls of another manufacturer - and they all do the same work!!! There is no agreed common specs - there never will be one (at the current rate). The driving factor here is a little known fact: there is more money in maintenance of Elevators, than there is in selling new ones, as Elevators have to be maintained in working order - by stipulation - for at least 30 years, or till the building is demolished.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 20:13   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Flip side of that is, I get at least 3 calls in a week from folks who are trying to do innovative stuff around OBD. They are either corporate guys, college students, professors, start-ups, etc.

They enquire about devices I have and its pros/cons. Most of them buy it too.

Its so interesing to hear their ideas and know how they are planning to implement. And I give my $0.02 too

Some of ideas are actually already implemented in high end cars but is closed-source to its manufactures.

Hope some day we could just flash our ecus "our-self" with any open source! Just like we do with our laptops!
Old 12th February 2014, 22:52   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
... Hope some day we could just flash our ecus "our-self" with any open source! Just like we do with our laptops!
Not going to happen, ever - unless you make the rest of the engine too. But then in that case you would be a manufacturer. It is not a trivial pursuit.
Old 16th February 2014, 15:01   #794
BHPian

Hi guys, can anyone please tell me which of these will work with a 2006 Ford Ikon 1.3 and / 2011 VW Vento P, preferably both.

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_odkw=...&_sacat=131090

I searched around but can't seem to find any definitive information on the Ikon.
Old 16th February 2014, 16:55   #795
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayson View Post
Hi guys, can anyone please tell me which of these will work with a 2006 Ford Ikon 1.3 and / 2011 VW Vento P, preferably both.

I searched around but can't seem to find any definitive information on the Ikon.
All of the OBD readers will work ONLY in your 2011 Vento and NOT in 2006 Ikon.

OBD 2 was introduced in mid-2009 so cars before that are OBD 1 and ater 2009 are all OBD 2.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks