Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2014, 16:15   #1051
Senior - BHPian

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6zene View Post
If you are using one of those devices that have on/off button, then you should be fine. I have had interesting experiences: one device made weird sounds that I believed it was going to blast, another got burning hot, yet another drained the battery ...
Oh man, you seem to have had more than your share of lemons! Most of the dongles don't have an On-Off switch, as they consume very little power. Which were the dongle (sources) which went bad like what you described? Very bad quality, one must say.
Old 18th December 2014, 17:26   #1052
Senior - BHPian

I checked the dongle this morning which had been plugged in since last ten days. It had a very slight warmth to it . Engine cranked fine. Unplugged it nevertheless since the car is hardly used and I can plug it in that once a week.

Can someone provide some info on the Wheel Horse Power that is calculated by the Torque app? It takes the weight of the car into account , but how does it actually calculate it on a small device when big money is spent on a dyno run which of course is accurate.
Old 18th December 2014, 17:44   #1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Oh man, you seem to have had more than your share of lemons! Most of the dongles don't have an On-Off switch, as they consume very little power. Which were the dongle (sources) which went bad like what you described? Very bad quality, one must say.
One of the mini Elms (blue ones) and other by an Indian start-up (let me not name that!).
6zene is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 18:29   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Can someone provide some info on the Wheel Horse Power that is calculated by the Torque app? It takes the weight of the car into account , but how does it actually calculate it on a small device when big money is spent on a dyno run which of course is accurate.
As far as I understand, WHP is just the guesstimate based on BHP (which too is not very accurate). For most vehicle, they just take 85% (front-wheel) of BHP as WHP - there is a certain amount of power loss during transmission.

Formula I know:
WHP = 0.85 x Weight x (Speed/234)^3

Torque might just be using that!
6zene is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 14:53   #1055
BHPian

Mod Note: Post deleted. Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on this board.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd December 2014 at 16:59.
Old 23rd December 2014, 17:42   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6zene View Post
As far as I understand, WHP is just the guesstimate based on BHP (which too is not very accurate). For most vehicle, they just take 85% (front-wheel) of BHP as WHP - there is a certain amount of power loss during transmission.

Formula I know:
WHP = 0.85 x Weight x (Speed/234)^3

Torque might just be using that!
I've no idea why weight would be in that formula. It has no influence. The difference between BHP (which can be measured very accurately) and the WHP (which can also be measured very accurately is transmission/drive train losses.

WHP can be be measured with the car on the dynometer. BHP can be measured with the engine on a test stand.

Here is a simple calculator: http://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator4.php

No weight in there either, only assumptions how much losses occur in the various variants, (e.g. 2WD, 4WD, RW etc)

Jeroen
Old 25th December 2014, 21:31   #1057
BHPian

I'd like to use OBD on my new polo GT TDI and I want to pair it with an ios device. Reading this thread suggests that VGate iCar2 may do the job.

I am a little new to this, so here's my understanding of how this works (please correct me if I am wrong):

The scanner device gets connected to car's OBD port and it records various diagnostics. The device is then removed and brought in the range of a WIFI network from which software (such as Torque) installed on the ios device can read and display.
Old 26th December 2014, 13:05   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino View Post
... The scanner device gets connected to car's OBD port and it records various diagnostics. The device is then removed and brought in the range of a WIFI network from which software (such as Torque) installed on the ios device can read and display.
No, the dongle device doesn't record anything. It only channels the data from the OBD port to the WiFi or Bluetooth connection. The dongle sets up a WiFi point to point connection with the tab, and doesn't need to be near any WiFi network. You just connect the device to the OBD port, pair it via WiFi (with iPhones / iPads only) or Bluetooth (for other devices), run the App that uses data from it, and that's all.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 21:23   #1059
BHPian

Bought the 10$ vgate adaptor and using with Torque app in my Wagon R. Works wonderful. Doesn't seem to eat up battery (had left on car for 36 hrs ).

Last edited by babu.sundaram : 2nd January 2015 at 21:25.
Old 10th January 2015, 13:11   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Tried ELM 327 Mini in an Innova Diesel (August 2011 Manufactured).

The dongle got paired between Innova & HTC M8. But Torque App failed to connect to the car and retrieve any data. What could be the reason?

Kindly help.

Regards

Vinu
Old 10th January 2015, 13:31   #1061
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post

The dongle got paired between Innova & HTC M8. But Torque App failed to connect to the car and retrieve any data. What could be the reason?
Some cars use non-OBD2 protocols, even if the connector is an SAE J1962 one. Therefore, one would be able to plug in the ELM 327 and similar devices, but they would not be able to read any data. The pins that supply power to the device are the same, so the device would receive power and would be able to pair with a phone, but it cannot read data.

In India, I believe cars manufactured after a certain date (probably coinciding with the introduction of BS-IV emission norms, I think) are all OBD2 compliant. Some cars manufactured before this date may have compatibility issues, even if they have an SAE J1962 connector.

I don't know about the Innova, but this issue is common on many Maruti Suzuki models. The ones manufactured after a certain date are all OBD2 compliant, while the earlier ones follow native protocols that cannot be deciphered by a generic OBD2-only device.

Last edited by RSR : 10th January 2015 at 13:39.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 13:43   #1062
BANNED

Quote:

Since it is 2011 manufactured, the car is using OBD2 connector do not an issue.

The dongle did pair but Torque App isn't reading which means there is an issue with the App.

What is it displaying? Is the Bluetooth pairing correctly?

Do reinstall the App.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
In India, I believe cars manufactured after a certain date (probably coinciding with the introduction of BS-IV emission norms, I think) are all OBD2 compliant.
IIRC, cars manufactured after 2009 are OBD2 compliant.

Most of the major manufacturers updated to OBD2.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 14:25   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

What is it displaying? Is the Bluetooth pairing correctly?

Do reinstall the App.
The same Android App along with Windows Phone OBD App is retrieving data from my Beat instantly.

So it could be related to some other Protocol issue .

Cheers!
myavu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 15:39   #1064
BANNED

Quote:

The same Android App along with Windows Phone OBD App is retrieving data from my Beat instantly.

So it could be related to some other Protocol issue.
In the Torque App, goto 'Settings' and in that the General settings tab, scroll to the bottom and look for the HTC/Samsung device. Put that on Automatic if not selected.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150110_153737.png
Views: 1084
Size:  92.1 KB

EDIT: Why not use the same Windows Mobile on your car to check whether data is being displayed or no.

Last edited by a4anurag : 10th January 2015 at 15:43.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 17:06   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why not use the same Windows Mobile on your car to check whether data is being displayed or no.
No, Windows App too not retrieving data.

In Beat, both Android and Windows Phone App is quite straight forward. Connect the dongle, Pair it to the phone, Start the car and Start the app - Voilą! data retrieval is instantaneous and smooth.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks