Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2015, 21:54   #1126
BHPian

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Oops, sorry, I forgot it.

I hope it works as I have seen that Toyota cars aren't friendly with the ELM 327. Do try it out before purchasing.
Darn! Bad news! Would Devrajman be able to confirm if he has had this tried out on an Etios?

ps The upside I think is someone had mentioned way back in a 2011 post that the Innova is not 'OBD friendly' whereas the Etios is, since it follows the CAN protocol (whatever that means)!!
Old 4th June 2015, 22:38   #1127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsan View Post
Darn! Bad news! Would Devrajman be able to confirm if he has had this tried out on an Etios?

ps The upside I think is someone had mentioned way back in a 2011 post that the Innova is not 'OBD friendly' whereas the Etios is, since it follows the CAN protocol (whatever that means)!!
Etios works. Any of elm327 will work. U can go ahead and buy it.

CAN is totally different ball game. Elm327 talks only via basic commands and hence scans only engine related.
Old 5th June 2015, 10:31   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Etios works. Any of elm327 will work. U can go ahead and buy it.

CAN is totally different ball game. Elm327 talks only via basic commands and hence scans only engine related.
Devrajman - Thanks for the good news.

A4anurag had said that you are the go-to person for sourcing the ELM327 in Bangalore. Perhaps you could PM me with details on how to do this since I can't PM you, being a 'newbie'.

Looking forward to hearing back!
Old 6th June 2015, 10:30   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Devrajman - Thanks for the good news.

A4anurag had said that you are the go-to person for sourcing the ELM327 in Bangalore. Perhaps you could PM me with details on how to do this since I can't PM you, being a 'newbie'.

Looking forward to hearing back!
Devrajaman - knock, knock are you there?

Good morning. Pls refer to my post quoted above and PM me back since I can't PM you. Thanks.
Old 6th June 2015, 11:46   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Devrajaman - knock, knock are you there?

Good morning. Pls refer to my post quoted above and PM me back since I can't PM you. Thanks.
I checked, I cant send you PM nor email. Please check your settings, as it says,
Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.
Old 6th June 2015, 12:16   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
I checked, I cant send you PM nor email. Please check your settings, as it says,
Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.
Apologies for this Devrajman! Thanks for trying.
I tried to change my settings but couldn't find any place where I could do something about this.

Meanwhile while surfing around I found that the ELM327 mini (Bluetooth) was available on Snapdeal. I've just ordered it in case that too gets sold out.

Will let you know how I get along with it once I receive it.
Old 9th June 2015, 08:19   #1132
BHPian

Query -

I've a Samsung Tablet and the app Torque installed in it. However I do not have the Bluetooth ELM device. I want to know -
1. Where in the Honda City (3rd generation) is the OBD port located?
2. Can I directly connect my tablet by using its data cable instead of buying the ELM device? If not, what are the other alternatives to ELM?
3. Which app works best in case of the aforementioned City?

Any inputs will be of great help.
Old 9th June 2015, 09:54   #1133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I've a Samsung Tablet and the app Torque installed in it. However I do not have the Bluetooth ELM device. I want to know

1. Where in the Honda City (3rd generation) is the OBD port located?
Should be located under the dash board around the drivers side area. It could be neat the bonnet release or around the central console are underneath.

Quote:
2. Can I directly connect my tablet by using its data cable instead of buying the ELM device? If not, what are the other alternatives to ELM?
IIRC, if you want to get the ELM 327 to the tablet then it possible only via a bluetooth one. Cable ones are for laptop connection. See below link:

Alternatives to bluetooth one:

The Alternative

This one is for connection to the laptop though.

Quote:
3. Which app works best in case of the aforementioned City?
Torque PRO should work. Do try Fun2Drive also.
Old 9th June 2015, 11:15   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Query -

Any inputs will be of great help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IIRC, if you want to get the ELM 327 to the tablet then it possible only via a bluetooth one. Cable ones are for laptop connection. See below link:

USB ELM327 do work with Tablet with USB OTG support. Even Torque has option to choose USB connectivity. USB driver support is 50-50.

If you have someone with USB ELM327 do give it a try before you buy.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2015 at 11:18. Reason: u > you
Old 11th July 2015, 02:04   #1135
BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

This might be common knowledge so I ask for your pardon - does a vehicle's ECU record/log the total distance it has traveled since it's manufacture/delivery? Can the same be read through a OBD scan?
Old 11th July 2015, 11:14   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
This might be common knowledge so I ask for your pardon - does a vehicle's ECU record/log the total distance it has traveled since it's manufacture/delivery? Can the same be read through a OBD scan?
Every question is welcomed in this forum! This is why this thread is here

ECU records the distance and that is shown as ODO reading on your dashboard.

Yes, you can read it (for most of cars), it is shown under ODO reading PID

*There are tools which are edit it/change it, and there is no way one can know if its changed as its all electronic via OBD port

Last edited by devrajman : 11th July 2015 at 11:15.
devrajman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 11:20   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Every question is welcomed in this forum! This is why this thread is here

ECU records the distance and that is shown as ODO reading on your dashboard.

Yes, you can read it (for most of cars), it is shown under ODO reading PID

*There are tools which are edit it/change it, and there is no way one can know if its changed as its all electronic via OBD port
Thanks mate.

So, can this reading be tampered with by flashing the ECU or some other means? Is the dashboard readout directly linked to the ECU (in case of a digital display of course!)

Edit - I just read your edited post so my latter query has been answered. So, I guess your normal, everyday car broker would go to such extent to conceal the total mileage on used cars.

Last edited by Turbo_Torq : 11th July 2015 at 11:24.
Turbo_Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 11:31   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Thanks mate.

So, can this reading be tampered with by flashing the ECU or some other means? Is the dashboard readout directly linked to the ECU (in case of a digital display of course!)

Edit - I just read your edited post so my latter query has been answered. So, I guess your normal, everyday car broker would go to such extent to conceal the total mileage on used cars.
Cool

Yes, actually with digital ODO its every simpler and leaves no trace, one just needs a ODO changer tool. FYI, the ODO shown on your dash display is from ECU.

This is very common practice by brokers, hence anytime anyone wants to buy please double check with service center of service records (look for kms and date it was serviced). Brokers in my contact say that is the only cut they earn as they buy high mileage cars for low cost, change back by few ten thousand kms and resale value goes up.
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 20:28   #1139
BHPian

I tried to hook up to my Rapid's ECU from my Android phone with an old ELM327 OBD-2 BT adapter I had. Torque (pro) said 'Could not connect to ECU', and I tried with just ignition ON and also the engine running.
Looked up the debug logs on the phone and saw that BT connection to the ELM327 was fine and the error was no response from the car ECU when ELM tried to talk to it.
Can anyone with Rapids and ELM327 dongles please let me know if such issues were seen?

This dongle had worked well couple of years back with my Getz prime.

Last edited by nma83 : 2nd August 2015 at 20:28. Reason: typo
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:48   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
I tried to hook up to my Rapid's ECU from my Android phone with an old ELM327 OBD-2 BT adapter I had. Torque (pro) said 'Could not connect to ECU', and I tried with just ignition ON and also the engine running.
Looked up the debug logs on the phone and saw that BT connection to the ELM327 was fine and the error was no response from the car ECU when ELM tried to talk to it.
Can anyone with Rapids and ELM327 dongles please let me know if such issues were seen?

This dongle had worked well couple of years back with my Getz prime.
Rapid is 100% OBDII ELM327 compatible, please try another dongle, may be its gone KAPUT

Most Viewed