Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:37   #1141
BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Rapid is 100% OBDII ELM327 compatible, please try another dongle, may be its gone KAPUT
That's what I thought too. Will try out with a new dongle.
Old 7th August 2015, 20:08   #1142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodava View Post
Hi Anurag

While going through this thread I had read your post regarding the ELM 327 working on the fortuner,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3431588

Could you please confirm this? From all reports on the internet, the Fortuner has an M-OBD port and is not OBD2 compatible.

Thanks
Bopanna
Even I was confused with various reports saying that Fortuner is not OBDII compliant, and that Toyota cars are not OBDII friendly in general.

Finally, today we got a chance to test this out. We tested my ELM327 adapter (that I use daily in my SX4), in my colleague's Fortuner, and it works! It worked quite well, in the sense that we could read most of the parameters. However, it did not read absolute throttle position, which it reads in my SX4. So there might be one or two odd parameters that it does not read (and this may be true with any other car as well - not all cars will read all parameters anyways), but in general it works quite well. By the way, the particular Fortuner we tested on is a brand new one which my colleague bought just last month. This is 4x4 AT version, manufactured in July 2015.

So for all those who might be wondering, here is a confirmation that ELM327 works on Fortuner, based on actual test we did today.

Thanks,
-AD

Last edited by Dr.AD : 7th August 2015 at 20:13.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 20:11   #1143

Thanks for the update AD. Could you let me know where you picked up that ELM327 from?

Where is the OBD port located in the fortuner?

Thanks
Bopanna
Old 7th August 2015, 20:16   #1144
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Even I was confused with various reports saying that Fortuner is not OBDII compliant, and that Toyota cars are not OBDII friendly in general.

Finally, today we got a chance to test this out. We tested my ELM327 adapter (that I use daily in my SX4), in my colleague's Fortuner, and it works!
It not Toyota cars on whole that is creating this problem but I see issues with Innova mainly that is still m-OBD and not OBD II compliant!

Can you look out for Innova?!
Old 7th August 2015, 20:32   #1145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It not Toyota cars on whole that is creating this problem but I see issues with Innova mainly that is still m-OBD and not OBD II compliant!

Can you look out for Innova?!
Oh, sure. I will try on some Innova and post the findings here. Funnily, the same colleague who bought this Fortuner had an Innova before, and he traded that in for a new Fortuner. I should have tried this before he traded in his Innova :-)

By the way, could the Innova OBDII noncompliance come from the fact that it debuted in 2007, before the OBDII became common in India (i.e. 2010), and maybe Toyota never bothered to upgrade their ECU firmware/protocols since then?
Old 7th August 2015, 20:38   #1146
BANNED

Quote:
By the way, could the Innova OBDII noncompliance come from the fact that it debuted in 2007, before the OBDII became common in India (i.e. 2010), and maybe Toyota never bothered to upgrade their ECU firmware/protocols since then?
May be. I guess Toyota only upgraded the Chrome content on their Innova's rather than upgrading mechanically.

Please do try it on the Innova and update here!
Old 7th August 2015, 21:07   #1147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, it did not read absolute throttle position, which it reads in my SX4. So there might be one or two odd parameters that it does not read (and this may be true with any other car as well - not all cars will read all parameters anyways), but in general it works quite well.
That is because its a diesel car, and doesnt come with a throttle position sensor. Hence you dont get Absolute throttle position as one of the supported PID. Rather look out for APP or accelerator position sensor(if the car has Drive by wire) which will be in the form of APP bank 1, 2 and so on. This might or might not be there too. The innova has a very basic diagnostic setup which might not provide you so many parameters as some others give. The BS4 innova I guess is and should be OBD compliant. Not sure what all PID it will support. Even the accelerator pedal looks mechanical in the innova.

Last edited by audioholic : 7th August 2015 at 21:09.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 21:21   #1148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That is because its a diesel car, and doesnt come with a throttle position sensor. Hence you dont get Absolute throttle position as one of the supported PID. Rather look out for APP or accelerator position sensor(if the car has Drive by wire) which will be in the form of APP bank 1, 2 and so on. This might or might not be there too. The innova has a very basic diagnostic setup which might not provide you so many parameters as some others give. The BS4 innova I guess is and should be OBD compliant. Not sure what all PID it will support. Even the accelerator pedal looks mechanical in the innova.
Oh, thanks a lot for this explanation. This makes sense. I will do some more experiments on the Fortuner and post some findings here.

By the way, talking about differences in readings between my SX4 and this Fortuner, one thing that was glaring was the difference in fuel flow rate. SX4 has fuel flow rate of about 0.8l/hr while idling, whereas the Fortuner had fuel flow rate of about 3.6l/hr while idling. Yes, the Fortuner has a much bigger engine, but nevertheless, the difference in this number was staggering.

By the way, when we turned the key to the accessories on ('ACC') position, which kept the ECU on but engine OFF, the Fortuner battery voltage read was barely 12V. I have set an alarm in Torque Pro for battery voltage dropping below 12V, and that alarm started sounding immediately when I connected to Fortuner. Now, this raised a question. When engine is OFF, I am reading true battery voltage (otherwise I am reading the alternator charging voltage). From various battery related forums on the net, I learned the battery voltage should be 12.6V when fully charged. 12V actually indicates only marginally charged battery. So we were very surprised to see the battery voltage in this new Fortuner down to 12V. Is this an issue? What do you guys think?
Old 7th August 2015, 21:23   #1149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, when we turned the key to the accessories on ('ACC') position, which kept the ECU on but engine OFF, the Fortuner battery voltage read was barely 12V. I have set an alarm in Torque Pro for battery voltage dropping below 12V, and that alarm started sounding immediately when I connected to Fortuner. Now, this raised a question. When engine is OFF, I am reading true battery voltage (otherwise I am reading the alternator charging voltage). From various battery related forums on the net, I learned the battery voltage should be 12.6V when fully charged. 12V actually indicates only marginally charged battery. So we were very surprised to see the battery voltage in this new Fortuner down to 12V. Is this an issue? What do you guys think?
Check the battery voltage directly and compare if there is a difference in what is reported by OBD and what is the actual voltage. Usually I have found it to be quite accurate, but you can always have some deviations.

Secondly, it depends upon what all electronics were running at that time. If stuff like the music system, lights, AC blower etc were running at that time, the car can report a marginally lower battery voltage. Check that once.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 21:41   #1150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Secondly, it depends upon what all electronics were running at that time. If stuff like the music system, lights, AC blower etc were running at that time, the car can report a marginally lower battery voltage. Check that once.
We checked this. When I turned the key to the ACC position, the voltage read was actually below 12V and the alarm in my Torque app went off. The first thing we did then was to switch off AC, blower and everything else. So with all electrical systems off, the voltage read was a steady 12.1V. I think even this is pretty low for a no-load battery voltage. I just replaced the 5-year old battery in my SX4 with a new one, and on my new battery, I get a steady 12.7V as the no-load battery voltage. This SX4 data is just a comparison point.

So should we be alarmed about this Fortuner battery?
Old 7th August 2015, 22:11   #1151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We checked this. When I turned the key to the ACC position, the voltage read was actually below 12V and the alarm in my Torque app went off. The first thing we did then was to switch off AC, blower and everything else. So with all electrical systems off, the voltage read was a steady 12.1V. I think even this is pretty low for a no-load battery voltage. I just replaced the 5-year old battery in my SX4 with a new one, and on my new battery, I get a steady 12.7V as the no-load battery voltage. This SX4 data is just a comparison point.

So should we be alarmed about this Fortuner battery?
I don't have a solution, but you can try another thing. Use the car for some time and start recording battery voltage in the form of a graph. Now switch off the car and check how the voltage drops. Even in my car the battery voltage is usually >12.5V. You can see how the voltage drops and where it stops at.
Old 7th August 2015, 22:47   #1152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update AD. Could you let me know where you picked up that ELM327 from?

Thanks
Bopanna
I bought my ELM327 online on amazon.in. I bought something called "Supermini ELM327 Adapter" which works pretty well. I have given more details of my set up in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...cessories.html

If you search for "OBDII Bluetooth Adapeter" on amazon.in or enay.in, you will find several options. Any of these would be fine.

The OBD port in Fortuner is located under the driver's right hand side dashboard, somewhere under the fuse box. I wish I had a picture, since it is hard to describe in words. But if you sit down on the floor near the driver's door, and keep the door open, and search under the dashboard, you will easily see a white colored 16 pin connector. That is the OBDII port.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 16:40   #1153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The OBD port in Fortuner is located under the driver's right hand side dashboard, somewhere under the fuse box. I wish I had a picture, since it is hard to describe in words.
I got a chance to take pictures of the OBDII port in my colleague's Fortuner today. Hopefully these pictures will clarify the exact location of OBDII port in Fortuner.

In the first picture below, look at the red circle, and under that is the OBDII port. Unfortunately the port is not visible from this angle. The red arrow shows the angle from where the second picture was taken (you have to sit down/bend down to get this angle of view), and then you can see the port.

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-dsc_0020.jpg

The white 16-pin OBDII port is clearly visible in the second picture below:
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-dsc_0021.jpg
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 17:06   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Guys, any suggestions for the Nano? I have a 2012 Lx model and also use an Android tablet. Which scanner would work best and which Android app to go with it?
Also if I have to carry this setup to my bro's Ikon - year 2000 - will it work? Or do I need a different scanner?
honeybee, I know this was a long while ago but did you get a chance to try out the scanner on the Nano?

I'm curious as to what stats are not supported by the Nano. I'm really interested in taking a log of my RPM ranges while driving as well as fuel economy numbers.

Also, I have an additional question for you guys: I have a Mac and an Ubuntu netbook and an iPhone. It seems that I have all the gadgets that are not compatible with the ELM 327.

Can ELM 327 connect with my laptop/iPhone through wifi by some means? Or do I have no other choice but to get a iOS compatible OBD scanner or hunt for a spare Android phone?
Old 29th August 2015, 18:08   #1155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Can ELM 327 connect with my laptop/iPhone through wifi by some means? Or do I have no other choice but to get a iOS compatible OBD scanner or hunt for a spare Android phone?
You can get an ELM327 reader that works for iPhones.

There are ones that work on laptops too, especially.

Most Viewed