Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2015, 00:26   #1156
Senior - BHPian

@Tanmay, nope, I haven't had a chance to use an obd scanner on the Nano.
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:04   #1157
BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Guys, Got to know from one of my colleagues that, keeping OBD devices always connected in the car (even when not using the car) drains the battery in few days time. Is it true? if yes, do you guys have any workaround?
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:32   #1158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karts View Post
Guys, Got to know from one of my colleagues that, keeping OBD devices always connected in the car (even when not using the car) drains the battery in few days time. Is it true? if yes, do you guys have any workaround?
There is a workaround to this, get a ELM327 reader that has an ON/OFF button. IMO if the car is used regularly then there is no such draining issue.

2 days back I returned from a trip to my hometown where I had left my Swift parked for 8 days. The ELM 327 reader was plugged in the port all that while and when I returned the car started in the first crank.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 19:42   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
honeybee, I know this was a long while ago but did you get a chance to try out the scanner on the Nano?

I'm curious as to what stats are not supported by the Nano. I'm really interested in taking a log of my RPM ranges while driving as well as fuel economy numbers.
I have connected the ELM to my Nano. It definitely supports engine rpm. Fuel consumption is estimated from the airflow values

Last edited by nijelj : 2nd September 2015 at 19:43. Reason: Typo
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 23:53   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I have connected the ELM to my Nano. It definitely supports engine rpm. Fuel consumption is estimated from the airflow values
Thanks!

I finally decided on and ordered a 5.5" OBD2 HUD from aliexpress. Will update on how it looks/works on the Nano when I have received it.
Old 3rd September 2015, 22:49   #1161

Hey friends, this is my first post so correct me if I do/ say something wrong. I read this thread and could not find my problem in it. So here goes,
I have a supermini elm 327 device(the blue coloured one). I use an android device running lollipop and have the torque pro app installed.
On my New Ford Fiesta (2013) i don't get-
1. The fuel level info,
2. Distance to empty,
3. No instant fuel consumption,
4. The average fuel consumption(long term) is either incorrect or not shown sometimes.

I have correctly entered profile settings( I suppose).
Also, I tried the same device on a Skoda Fabia(2007) and it showed the above data without any issues. This means that the elm device is NOT faulty.
Awaiting your inputs,
Thank you.
Old 4th September 2015, 00:32   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Control2freak View Post
On my New Ford Fiesta (2013) i don't get-

1. The fuel level info,

2. Distance to empty,

3. No instant fuel consumption,

4. The average fuel consumption(long term) is either incorrect or not shown sometimes.

I have correctly entered profile settings( I suppose).

Also, I tried the same device on a Skoda Fabia(2007) and it showed the above data without any issues. This means that the elm device is NOT faulty.

Awaiting your inputs,

Thank you.

The device is not faulty. It so happens to be that the ELM does not carry the databases of every car on the globe. Mostly European cars are covered in detail, and then some. For others it provides a more generic info and error codes maybe, or even certain DTCs. ECM details are also not read for all cars. For some cars still, it just doesn't recognize the ecu.

You see, when it comes to OBD equipment, the general rule is the costlier equipment you buy, the more cars it covers, with more detail, with more support levels even for future software releases or newer cars on the block and so on. They pro versions which would cost a bomb allow you to make every possible change to even critical engine parameters. That would be a recipe for complete disaster in the common mans hands of course. So the ELM is basically an extremely humble version of the real thing which basically allows you to monitor more simpler parameters and be happy also allowing to erase error codes and all.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 18:49   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
The device is not faulty. It so happens to be that the ELM does not carry the databases of every car on the globe. Mostly European cars are covered in detail, and then some. For others it provides a more generic info and error codes maybe, or even certain DTCs. ECM details are also not read for all cars. For some cars still, it just doesn't recognize the ecu.

You see, when it comes to OBD equipment, the general rule is the costlier equipment you buy, the more cars it covers, with more detail, with more support levels even for future software releases or newer cars on the block and so on. They pro versions which would cost a bomb allow you to make every possible change to even critical engine parameters. That would be a recipe for complete disaster in the common mans hands of course. So the ELM is basically an extremely humble version of the real thing which basically allows you to monitor more simpler parameters and be happy also allowing to erase error codes and all.
I think its not the ELM327 device which has to be expensive because all it does is to transfer CAN information between the Laptop/Phone and the Vehicle ECU. The databases are maintained by the software on the laptop/phone and not on the ELM device. So in the OP's case, Torque Pro should have the database of the Fiesta. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 23:44   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I think its not the ELM327 device which has to be expensive because all it does is to transfer CAN information between the Laptop/Phone and the Vehicle ECU. The databases are maintained by the software on the laptop/phone and not on the ELM device. So in the OP's case, Torque Pro should have the database of the Fiesta. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That also may be very much possible. Or mayhap there is no databases anywhere at all. The elm or cables just do the transfer part and the softwares whether on PC or mobile decode/decipher the can info and communication offered by the ECM in the required protocols. Rest is the price of the software which determines which algorithms of how many manufacturers or how detailed a reading it can cough up.
Old 5th September 2015, 00:15   #1165
Senior - BHPian

I got a Vgate ICar3 BT ELM327 Module and I'm happy to inform it works with my Palio GTX!

I have tried about 3 different ELM327 Modules and they didn't work with the Palio, finally this one did!

I didn't have the OBD adapter (Palio comes with a non standard adapter) so I rigged one by myself.

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-img_20150816_075605001.jpg

The only apps that worked are FiatECUScan 3.4.1 (only this version) on my Windows laptop and AlfaOBD on my Android Phone.
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 09:02   #1166

Thank you pixantz, nijelj for your inputs. I do understand now. However, I was just wondering if it could work properly with a 2007 vehicle, a 2013 vehicle should have been well supported (Bummer). Nevertheless, i request another thing. Is there any software like the VAG-COM for Fords? I have heard about IDS but I'm not sure. I am thinking if I can't get the above-mentioned data via the elm device, can I use such software (IDS) to show it on the multi function display of my vehicle?

I know DTE is supported by my vehicle, as i have opened it through following a "secret test menu" entering procedure. (YouTube had videos showing how to do it :P ). But it's a long process, and involves a lot of hassles. I also fear I might damage thr button on the display.

Thank you.
Old 6th September 2015, 13:54   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you pixantz, nijelj for your inputs. I do understand now. However, I was just wondering if it could work properly with a 2007 vehicle, a 2013 vehicle should have been well supported (Bummer). Nevertheless, i request another thing. Is there any software like the VAG-COM for Fords? I have heard about IDS but I'm not sure. I am thinking if I can't get the above-mentioned data via the elm device, can I use such software (IDS) to show it on the multi function display of my vehicle?

I know DTE is supported by my vehicle, as i have opened it through following a "secret test menu" entering procedure. (YouTube had videos showing how to do it :P ). But it's a long process, and involves a lot of hassles. I also fear I might damage thr button on the display.

Thank you.

Around the 2004-2007 period, in India, the switch between OBD-1 and OBD-2 happened. As in, the vehicles made at that time had either one of the systems until ultimately everyone switched over to OBD-2. I may be wrong about the exact dates, please correct me if I'm wrong guys. Hence, when doing diagnostics on cars of around that time, we could have this in mind.

Other than that, personally I wouldn't be doing any OBD stunts on my car unless absolutely sure of what I'm doing. As a safety precaution
Old 6th September 2015, 15:55   #1168

Thanks pixantz and nijelj for your valubale inputs. I do understand the problem now.
Is there a software like VAG- COM for Ford vehicles? I have heard about IDS but I'm not sure. Can it help to configure the unlock display to show DTE and other parameters?
As an additional information, I have accessed a "secret test/service menu", which displays a plethora of information from the ECU, viz DTE, average fuel consumption, external temperature, battery voltage and many others.
I went to the service centre a while ago and requested them to unlock these things which are available on all variants but only unlocked on the top end model. They said it's not possible because mine is a notch below the top end and doesn't support it.
When i showed the "test/service menu" thing, they said we can't do it as it may damage the display.
How stupid they can be? Unkocking features may damage the display. Lame reason imo.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks.
Old 6th September 2015, 18:53   #1169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Germans have a far more advanced diagnostic setup existing from a long time compared to the other manufacturers. That is the reason you can take more data out of an older Fabia compared to your car. Also, most manufacturers had their own diagnostic protocols which were regularised only recently. Hence, you might not find many of the PIDs supported by your fiesta. Also, it might be due to some parameters not being made available to the OBD interface, while the vehicle CAN will be having this info available. Hence, you will see it on the test menu while it wouldnt be available in the OBD interface.

Some of the MID data is calculated in the Speedometer console in lower end cars. Case in example is the Swift. Here, the data displayed on the MID is calculated in the instrument cluster itself and isnt a part of the CAN. Hence, though this data is available as a display in the car, one wont be able to fetch the same through OBD port. The readings shown by Torque related to FE are separately calculated by Torque in this case and isnt obtained from the OBD interface. I am talking about the Petrol Swift. Not sure about the diesel one though.

If this data were indeed available as a parameter off the OBD port, then Torque will not consider the profile of the car such as engine volume, cylinders and volummetric efficiency like how we have to provide it manually.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 17:42   #1170
BHPian

Anyone knows where the OBD port is in Innova? I mailed the customer support to figure out the protocol, and they say it is OBD-II. I asked the service engineer about the location of the port, and he says its behind the glovebox (left side). I thought it should have been on the steering wheel side?

On a side note, the great thing about all these service guys is, that no one knows what protocol the car supports. They simply fix up the reader, and get the info. How? no one cares!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks