Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2015, 23:51   #1186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Not necessarily. If you know what happens inside the engine, it's easier for you to take any issues to a closure in a faster way. for instance, initial batch of Etios diesel had a software bug where the threshold for normal air intake was set very low, and the vehicle would fall into safe mode where there is a huge loss of power. The service engineer didn't have a clue of it. It's because I kept on insisting that the Fuel:Air ratio is not correct is when they found out the root cause and fixed it with a firmware update ( with the help of Toyota ). I'm not a mechanical engineer. I'm an electronics and communication engineer. And if there is any knowledge that I have today on mechanical engineering, it's through these discussions that I read and be a part of in team-bhp.

It's not the same for me. Maybe because it's showing absolute load. Not sure.

Of course it's a part of the pursuit of knowledge that our inquisitiveness makes us a part of the forums. That's what forums are for. Healthy discussions are one of the prime reasons we all are on the forums. What I was trying to point out is, in cars mostly, you have to have a more thorough knowledge to decipher the readings more accurately because taking them at face value could have adverse results as half knowledge is more damaging in these cases.

The language used by the car to communicate is not as simple as it seems. I'm not saying they are very complicated for most laymen. They are just like symptoms and it's upto a mechanic to successfully pinpoint the meanings. It's a part of my line of work as I am a technician too so I was hoping to shed some light regarding the OBD readings. I know I'm sharing this forum space with a lot of engineers and technicians and the likes here but personally I respect all the different knowledge streams for their specialities, uniqueness and exclusivity.
Old 20th September 2015, 12:30   #1187
BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Could you pls suggest me an OBD which could show Fuel Efficiency in KMPL for my Honda Civic 2007 AT. I am using a iPhone.
Old 29th September 2015, 20:20   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Could you pls suggest me an OBD which could show Fuel Efficiency in KMPL for my Honda Civic 2007 AT. I am using a iPhone.
Fuel efficiency calculation is done by the Application on the phone or laptop you use and not a function of the OBD device. All OBD devices(the standard ones) support the same amount of functions and hence what matters is the application that you use to display those parameters. FE is calculated by the App in the Honda and it isnt available as a parameter off the OBD port.
Old 2nd October 2015, 21:36   #1189
BHPian

A general query. Bluetooth based ODB hardware does not work for me as my phone's bluetooth connects with AV receiver. Has anybody used those with wifi capability? If yes, it is bound to drain battery even if engine is off. How is the experience then?
Old 16th October 2015, 17:41   #1190
BHPian

I am sorry if this is already on this thread somewhere -

What are the OBD scanners that work with Ford Figo 1.4. I see Vgate supermini ELM327 on sale on Paytm, but I believe that doesn't work for my car. What are my other options?
Old 25th October 2015, 01:16   #1191
BHPian

Does this detect malfunctioning o2 sensors and does this help in detecting vacuum leaks in a car?

does this device show long term/short term fuel trims?
Old 25th October 2015, 01:20   #1192
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Does this detect malfunctioning o2 sensors and does this help in detecting vacuum leaks in a car?

does this device show long term/short term fuel trims?
It all depends on the list of available sensors that the ECU gives for the reader to read. Look at the screenshot below pertaining to the list for my Alto K10 AMT:

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20150626151723.png

All the data is displayed from whatever parameters are displayed in this list. Rest all data that you are looking for will be seen in scanner used by respective manufacturers and not the generic ones that we use.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 10:15   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I am sorry if this is already on this thread somewhere -

What are the OBD scanners that work with Ford Figo 1.4. I see Vgate supermini ELM327 on sale on Paytm, but I believe that doesn't work for my car. What are my other options?
Ford Figo is OBDII and any ELM327 should work. Just do not buy Supermini version as it doesnt fit properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kautilya View Post
A general query. Bluetooth based ODB hardware does not work for me as my phone's bluetooth connects with AV receiver. Has anybody used those with wifi capability? If yes, it is bound to drain battery even if engine is off. How is the experience then?
WiFi ones are available with Power Button also, you can buy that if you are worrying about battery drain. However it burns very little power and if you are using your car couple of times in week then it shouldnt be a problem.

However, FYI, some advanced Bluetooth (v3.0 or V4.0) in your phone can have multiple connections at the same time, so your phone will connect to AV reciever and ELM327 at the same time. Do check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
Anyone knows where the OBD port is in Innova? I mailed the customer support to figure out the protocol, and they say it is OBD-II. I asked the service engineer about the location of the port, and he says its behind the glovebox (left side). I thought it should have been on the steering wheel side?

On a side note, the great thing about all these service guys is, that no one knows what protocol the car supports. They simply fix up the reader, and get the info. How? no one cares!!
Innova is not compatible with any version ELM327 ( and so is Mahindra XYLO).

Last edited by devrajman : 25th October 2015 at 10:23.
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 15:08   #1194
BHPian

Folks, any success story in hooking an OBD tool to a Maruti Esteem (VXI 2004)?
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:44   #1195
BHPian

Hi Everybody,

Seems ELM327 is the clear winner here for choice of OBD. I looked it up on Amazon, Ebay and found a huge variation in prices leavig me confused about the quality/originality of the product. Request all to share their purchase experience for ELM 327. Thanks in advance!

Hart-Beat
Old 24th November 2015, 11:38   #1196
BHPian

Hello All,

Could anyone based in Bangalore willing to let me try out their obd before i procure one.
Need to check if it works well.
This is for a old gen. Ford Figo petrol.
Please PM me.

Regards,
Sun'J
Old 24th November 2015, 12:19   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart-BEAT View Post
Hi Everybody,

Seems ELM327 is the clear winner here for choice of OBD. I looked it up on Amazon, Ebay and found a huge variation in prices leavig me confused about the quality/originality of the product. Request all to share their purchase experience for ELM 327. Thanks in advance!

Hart-Beat
Recently one of my friend at work brought from ebay (http://www.ebay.in/itm/PREMIUM-Andro...roAAMXQyY1TQqt). Even he compared the prices and finally decided to buy from ebay.
Old 24th November 2015, 13:12   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Hello All,

Could anyone based in Bangalore willing to let me try out their obd before i procure one.
Need to check if it works well.
This is for a old gen. Ford Figo petrol.
Please PM me.

Regards,
Sun'J
Any ELM327 willl work with Figo Petrol, go ahead and buy it.
Old 24th November 2015, 13:16   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Any ELM327 willl work with Figo Petrol, go ahead and buy it.
Hmm, thanks for the information.

However on a number of sites it says that the mini version and also the version 2.1 are not compatible with Figo, thus the doubt.
Would you be able to confirm if all the currently available ELM 327 work with the Figo?
Old 24th November 2015, 16:11   #1200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
However on a number of sites it says that the mini version and also the version 2.1 are not compatible with Figo, thus the doubt.
The model available in Amazon link couple of posts above is having 1.5. In the product description it is mentioned that 2.1 was having few issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks