Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2017, 18:13   #1351
BHPian

Hello Mr. Anurag.
First of all thanks for such a quick reply.
But I cannot find the OBD port behind the glovebox as shown in this link.
Mine is the updated model of 2015 and maybe they changed the location.
Old 30th May 2017, 18:34   #1352
BANNED

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush46 View Post
Mine is the updated model of 2015 and maybe they changed the location.
It will be generally under the dashboard on the drivers side.

May be above the pedals or kind of hidden under some cover that can be opened.
Old 30th May 2017, 22:19   #1353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It will be generally under the dashboard on the drivers side.

May be above the pedals or kind of hidden under some cover that can be opened.
Thank a lot sirji.
I will search for it again tomorrow.
Old 7th July 2017, 17:34   #1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Which OBD scanner is compatible with Fiat Linea Multijet (Make:2010 July). Bluetooth or USB. If any bhpian was successful in connecting, please give device name and version. I've seen reviews on Amazon wherein users said their ECU got damaged by using these ELM327. Please enlighten me on this.

Gokul
There is absolutely no harm in using an ELM device. It is useful and in fact it helps in detecting engine issues well before time. ELM devices come in Bluetooth and WiFi. If you have an Android phone, a Bluetooth device would work just fine. You'll need an app to pair with it to read the information. I use Dash and it works really well. I can check engine info in real time like RPM, Avg FE, Distance Covered, Trip Data and Map Logs. Other apps include Torque, Dash Command etc.

If you have an iPhone, you might have to buy the WiFi one (I'm not too sure). I use the Dongle on my Duster and there is almost minimal battery drain even though I keep it plugged in all the time. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20170707172344.png  

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20170707172353.png  

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20170707172409.png  

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20170707172423.png  

ArvindMaveric is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:00   #1355
BHPian

This is a new model OBD2 scanner device from vgate 'icar pro' which claims to consume less than 3mA, during standby mode, while the earlier versions consume upto 30mA. It has auto on/off feature, which puts an end to manual intervention (plugging in and out).

The device comes in 3 variants - 2 Bluetooth versions and 1 wifi version. One of the Bluetooth version and the wifi version works with both IOS / android, unlike the earlier versions where only wifi variant worked with IOS. So iphone owners can choose the variant according to their needs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vgat...808991402.html

Hope this helps some of us who is much worried about OBD2 adaptor's standby power consumption.
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-htb1paigqfxxxxc9xfxxq6xxfxxx0.jpg  

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-htb1tbouqfxxxxc8xvxxq6xxfxxxm.jpg  

Last edited by batman : 22nd July 2017 at 12:12. Reason: Typo
batman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 21:34   #1356
BHPian

I just got the vgate icar but the non pro version. I'll try to look for the OBD port on my City ZX Vtec tomorrow and report back on the experience.

Does anyone know where I should look for the OBD connector under the dash? Is there a panel I need to remove in order to find it?
Old 26th July 2017, 17:49   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
here is a confirmation that ELM327 works on Fortuner, based on actual test we did today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That is because its a diesel car, and doesnt come with a throttle position sensor.
I just acquired a used Fortuner 4x4 and during the pre-purchase inspection test at Toyota Service Center the service guy did connect their OBD machine to check the stats of the car.

I wanted to ask if it would make sense for a layman like me to buy this ELM327 dongle and would it ever help me in any situation? While its good fun to look at the numbers but can I at all narrow down the troubleshooting, say on a highway trip, if the car breaks down or something?
Old 26th July 2017, 18:08   #1358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I just acquired a used Fortuner 4x4 and during the pre-purchase inspection test at Toyota Service Center the service guy did connect their OBD machine to check the stats of the car.

I wanted to ask if it would make sense for a layman like me to buy this ELM327 dongle and would it ever help me in any situation? While its good fun to look at the numbers but can I at all narrow down the troubleshooting, say on a highway trip, if the car breaks down or something?
For me, it is a fancy thing lying inside my cupboard. Let me frank about that. I have used it a few times just for the sake of curiosity and research. But that is because I have relatively new cars and have never encountered a malfunction indicator till date. But in your case, the car being a fortuner with basic electricals I really doubt you will run into such a situation too.

However if you don't mind spending a couple of hundreds on this one, it will be a 'good-to-have' tool and who knows, maybe someone else might need it and you will be the hero Hence it depends upon what you want to do with it.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 18:32   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
For me, it is a fancy thing lying inside my cupboard....
Naah, don't want to be a hero to anyone, lol. Reason I mentioned "layman" was precisely because I know it may help someone like you but I may not even be able to make out what the darn display says.

I thank God with all my heart that the 2013 Fortuner came with basic electricals which is why the question. Had I owned a Skoda I would've bought at least two or three OBD tools.

I think I'll skip it for now but @audioholic (and this is offtopic) I would need a huge favour from you and will be reaching out to you separately on steal-proofing this car. I've researched enough on those GPS based anti-theft devices but it needs good knowledge of car's electrical circuits (cutting off fuel supply via SMS etc.) and the way you re-did the horn circuit of your Celerio makes me have full faith in you.
Old 27th July 2017, 14:59   #1360

OBD for Maruti Swift VxI

All,

I own a Maruti Swift VxI car. I purchased it in the year 2006.

Are there any OBD device (an mobile app) that is available in the market that can be fitted to my car to monitor.

The main purpose is to understand my car and driving better so that I can extend the life of my car for another 3-4 years. I am also curious about how OBD works and what information that it communicates to us that can be used productively.

Thanks in advance.

- Sankar Rao

Last edited by Zappo : 27th July 2017 at 15:16. Reason: Please search for a suitable thread to post your queries wherever possible.
Old 27th July 2017, 22:42   #1361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArvindMaveric View Post
There is absolutely no harm in using an ELM device. It is useful and in fact it helps in detecting engine issues well before time. ELM devices come in Bluetooth and WiFi.
Which one are you using ? How does the map tracking works? Is it based on the device or uses GPS of the phone? I'm looking out for a device which once connected to the car can also show me the location of the vehicle on my phone.
Old 1st August 2017, 20:52   #1362
BHPian

Has anyone used a OBD2 reader in Scross? If so, please share the device make/model. Noob question: Is there any insurance problem if OBD2 reader is attached to the car?
Old 17th August 2017, 15:48   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Has anyone used a OBD2 reader in Scross? If so, please share the device make/model. Noob question: Is there any insurance problem if OBD2 reader is attached to the car?
There should be no problem with insurance if your insurance company hasn't installed any OBD2 device of their own.
I have tried OBD2 reader with Ritz, XUV 500 and Baleno and it should work fine with SCross as well.
I would suggest buying a device from VGATE as it works even if the car has more than 1 ECU.
Also, there are a wide variety of apps available for Android all with different features.
Torque: Shows performance data and is the most popular app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...owl.torquefree

Dash: Tracks trip data and have many other features as well.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.dash.android

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2017 at 09:18. Reason: PM coming up
dhruvdangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 23:25   #1364
BHPian

Has anyone managed to get these ELM327 devices to work with an India manufactured Nissan? I'm unable to get the connection protocol working with a Nissan Micra 2010 (October) manufactured. Pairing happens and all, but Torque just keeps on searching for protocol. No luck with Dash, Dashcommand and Nissan OBD Tool as well. The device itself works fine on my Honda which is in fact much older, 2006 manufactured.

From what I read, it seems these "cheap" so-called ELM327 devices are just rip-off's of the original ELM327 firmware and do not have some pins connected or even firmware support for some protocols like ISO 9141. I have no idea what protocol Nissan uses on Micra. Any one know of any devices that work with Nissan?
Old 9th September 2017, 21:40   #1365

Does anyone have the full specifications for the new Honda city 2017 please? I need this for parameterization of the Car OBD interface.
Some of the details I am looking for are:
1. Gear ratio for each gear
2. Final Drive ratio
3. Brake Specific Fuel Consumption
4. Most economical Gear Shift RPM

Thank you for having a look. Google didn't return much info . There are some Malaysian forums where they had data for the old Honda city , but the specs did not match the Indian version.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks