Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2018, 18:47   #1411

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

I would really appreciate if someone could help me in making a decision for buying a Car Tracker/Connected Car Device. There are many devices available in the market, like Rollr Mini, Autowiz, Zyme Pro, Streetsmart amongst many others. If someone is using any of these, please share your experience in sharing downsides of the device. Sharing a few links of the devices from Amazon:

Rollr Mini: https://www.amazon.in/Rollr-A9ASEC16...2201330&sr=8-1
Autowiz: https://www.amazon.in/Autowiz-Obd-Gp...web_8989900031
Zyme Pro: https://www.amazon.in/Zyme-Tracking-...2201259&sr=8-1
Streetsmart: https://www.amazon.in/Streetsmart-Ve...ds=STREETSMART

I own a Honda City iDtech 2015 and use an iPhone.
Old 14th November 2018, 20:04   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktie View Post
I would really appreciate if someone could help me in making a decision for buying a Car Tracker/Connected Car Device.

I own a Honda City iDtech 2015 and use an iPhone.
Autocop has the best availability and support network in India for this. Check out their track pro car tracker - comes with as well as without immobilizer.
Old 21st November 2018, 18:19   #1413
BHPian

I bought an ELM 327 for use in my petrol Altis (manufactured in 2010) and tried to connect it through TorquePro. I am unable to get any information though. Is my choice of scanner incorrect? Do I need to buy some else scanner / app?
Old 21st November 2018, 19:21   #1414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
I bought an ELM 327 for use in my petrol Altis (manufactured in 2010) and tried to connect it through TorquePro. I am unable to get any information though. Is my choice of scanner incorrect? Do I need to buy some else scanner / app?
Do share what is happening when you connect. Is the device pairing with your phone, ECU detected, Connection status and so on. AFAIK the first gen Corolla, Fortuner and Innova were non OBD compliant. I hoped that the Altis was. But it could be that it is not OBD compliant, especially if it is a BS3 model.
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:12   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Do share what is happening when you connect. Is the device pairing with your phone, ECU detected, Connection status and so on. AFAIK the first gen Corolla, Fortuner and Innova were non OBD compliant. I hoped that the Altis was. But it could be that it is not OBD compliant, especially if it is a BS3 model.
It is just showing as connecting.

Actually I read on some other thread that Toyota uses their own proprietary interface. So does it mean that standard interfaces won't work on Toyota? If that is so, the ELM won't throw any information, I believe.

Mine is a BS 3 vehicle.
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:44   #1416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is just showing as connecting.

Actually I read on some other thread that Toyota uses their own proprietary interface. So does it mean that standard interfaces won't work on Toyota? If that is so, the ELM won't throw any information, I believe.

Mine is a BS 3 vehicle.
If it is showing as connecting to ECU and nothing happens after that, then you cant use the ELM327 reader. Hence you will need a manufacturer specific device like Launch, Autel etc which can read info out of the older ECUs.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 16:14   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I read on some other thread that Toyota uses their own proprietary interface.
This is correct, Toyota uses their own PIDs, hence generic OBD readers don't work on Toyota vehicles.

Please try your ELM 327 device on another car to test whether it's working or not.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 16:47   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
This is correct, Toyota uses their own PIDs, hence generic OBD readers don't work on Toyota vehicles.

Please try your ELM 327 device on another car to test whether it's working or not.
It is working on a friend's Vista & Wagon R, and also working on multiple old and new Fords.

This has listed 5 Toyota specific interface devices. Which one would be good for beginners?
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:06   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which one would be good for beginners
My preference would be for Autel unit. Go for it only if you are DIY person or don't have access to trustworthy mechanics and need own analysis before heading to a mechanic.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 12:54   #1420
BHPian

I got my OBD scanner delivered two days back, purchased it from AliExpress. I also took an extension cable since the OBD port in ERTIGA is just above the clutch pedal and it is impossible to drive with the scanner plugged in.
I found that most of the OBD scanners are always in the ON state irrespective of the ignition state.
Since I want the scanner to be plugged in the OBD port all the time so that I can monitor the parameters when the car is running, but also didn't want to risk the cars battery draining overnight.
So after checking the pin diagram on the ODB interface I found that the pin 16 is the one that powers the scanner on battery. So I stripped opened the extension wire and found the pin 16 wire. I cut the wire down and plugged in the scanner to the OBD port and it didn't boot up.
So I took another positive from my fuse tap that turns ON only when the car is on ignition and connected that to the extension wires pin 16 wire and the scanner booted as it was supposed too and is working as expected.

Now my question is, will this setup work and will it have any issues to the scanner and most importantly to the car?
Experts need your suggestions please.

Thank you!

Last edited by francis_vaz : 6th December 2018 at 12:55.
francis_vaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 18:14   #1421
GRV
BHPian

Hello,
I am a newbie in the field of OBD diagnostic. Could someone please help me understand what does the following mean (after one has done the OBD scan)

1. Stored

2. Stored and Current

I have seen the result of my car . There it says small "f" when it is only stored and a capital "F" when it says stored and current

My understanding is that if it is stored , then it means there was a problem, that was captured by the system but it no longer exits

Only when the results says Stored and current , it means that this problem still exits .

Please let me know if I am thinking correctly

regards
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:53   #1422
BHPian

Hello, can somebody please suggest me a good OBD adapter to be used with my 2017 Creta Automatic? And I suppose Torque Pro is the pick of the app to be used?

Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2019, 18:52   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
Hi All,

Wanted to buy a OBD II scanner for our Ford Figo 1.5 TDCi purchased on 2016.
Although I'm fairly certain all OBD II scanners will work but are there any specific "got it"s?

Or can I just go ahead and order any?
I am on same boat, did you make a purchase , please share.
Old 6th January 2019, 09:41   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
Hello, can somebody please suggest me a good OBD adapter to be used with my 2017 Creta Automatic? And I suppose Torque Pro is the pick of the app to be used?

Thanks.
Suggest you buy a self contained OBD adapter like Autel, Launch or Topdon rather than an ELM327 low cost one. The cost may be a bit higher but there is a huge difference in the functionality. ELM327 can only access a small subset of the ECU codes. I had initially bought ELM327 devices but then when I got an Airbag indication problem on my City I had to buy a TOPDON scanner to identify and reset it. Even if it can solve just a couple of such critical problems, it pays back the cost that one would have to spend to go to a service centre for scanning and resetting fault codes.
nitnab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 11:24   #1425
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
Hello, can somebody please suggest me a good OBD adapter to be used with my 2017 Creta Automatic?
As rightly said by the member above, the ELM 327 is too generic. If one wants to diagnose ABS/Airbags, it won't help and you'd be left wanting for a "better" scanner.

After using the ELM 327 scanner for 4+ years, I've invested on a LAUNCH scanner (full range) that reads all cars (all makes).

Planning to invest and get the G-Scan 2 also which is the OEM tool for Hyundai/Kia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitnab View Post
Suggest you buy a self contained OBD adapter like Autel, Launch or Topdon rather than an ELM327 low cost one.
+1.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks