Team-BHP - OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/20803-obd-board-diagnostics-indian-cars.html)

Do Indian Cars also have OBD II ports?
Can we use a product like this to get a better understanding of Car Performance?
http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip_products.asp

Has anybody in this forum used something similar?

Sharath

yes they do. i just discovered my Indigo sx is OBD II compliant, it uses the ISO 9141 protocol. i built an interface myself and tested it, but the software i'm using (vag-com) is orignally meant for audi/vw/seat & skoda, so i've not had much luck getting much info from the vehicle. will have to try some other s/w...

Can anyone tell me if the Zen MPFI 2002 model is compliant??

Welcome to CarMD
This 90$ device can be connected to any OBD compliant ECU, which means most ECUs made after late nineties.
Displays error codes, descriptions etc., etc.,
Anyone every tried it? I guess USA TBHPians will have more idea

There are better products available than carmd, albeit at a higher price.
I use one in my swift as well.
I am not in the US, btw.
AB.

hey babhishek
can u tell me something more about what you have put in your swift....
i may be intrested...

Autoenginuity and AutoTap are quite good and quite professional..
both have excellent product support
I recommend Autoenginuity over AutoTap as I have used both and following is what i feel about them
(a) The UI and flow is quite clumsy for Autotap, u need to key in VIN every time
(b) You con configure the interval at which readings are taken.. i.e how many times per second
(c) Autoenginuity has some very good calibrated graphs to explain various readings.. in case of autotap its upto you to figure out some parameters
(d) Autotap crashes sometimes when you are driving while logging data...it was very stable at idel though ..maybe it was specific to my laptop..
(e) Autoenginuity has started giving Vehicle specific proprietery DTC and diagnostics also ..e.g a genric OBd2 will not undesrtand some sensors or treat them as sensor1, sensor2, xyz but with this new features being vehicle they will recognize them and label them more clearly...
(f) last of all Autotap UI is not as slick as Autoenginuity's...
(g) both are accurate in terms of readings ....I cmpared them with those at the delaers ...

So do these devices clear false error codes? For example if you car does not start because the ECU is thinking something is wrong when it isnt? So the best way would be to reset the ECU and sensors, can it be done through these devices?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chetanhanda (Post 362612)
Autoenginuity and AutoTap are quite good and quite professional.....

What do they cost?

Autoenginuity costs about 250 USD. Landed cost should be about 20000 INR if getting through standard shpping channels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 362682)
So do these devices clear false error codes? For example if you car does not start because the ECU is thinking something is wrong when it isnt? So the best way would be to reset the ECU and sensors, can it be done through these devices?

Yes, the ECU codes can be reset via laptop using Autotap.
by doing this it also clears all the LTFT,STFT,etc everything starts from default values..

Most ECU cars in India are OBD-II compliant? If thats the case having such a tool is a good thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 364204)
Most ECU cars in India are OBD-II compliant? If thats the case having such a tool is a good thing.

Yes, that will be useful for iNdian cars..
If you go for Autoenginuity they have Hyundai,GM, BMW specific features also which can identify their non standard/non generic codes also.
I was told that a Honda specific version was going to be released in Jan 2007.. but Im still waiting..

Hey! I wanted to try one of those OBDII gadgets on my 2005 Ford Ikon, so I mailed AAA (Autocar) and I got the reply that the Ford Ikon doesn't have a OBD port. Is it correct??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaizer Sozay (Post 219200)
Can anyone tell me if the Zen MPFI 2002 model is compliant??

No, it isnt OBD2 compliant.