Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2007, 18:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

PalioD fuel pump

One of my friend's recently had the experience of getting some petrol filled into the diesel tank of a palioD, the fuel was immediately removed and the car given to a service station for a checkup and remedial action. After everything was cleaned and put back (I honestly don't know what exactly they did) there seems to be no problem with the car but sometimes the fuel empty light comes on even when there is half tank or full tank of diesel, and I believe the indication comes on and switches off at random.
My opinion was that maybe there is a connector loose when the fuel tank was emptied, cleaned and put back or there could be a faulty float in the tank.
On explaining to the service centre about this, my friend was told that maybe the fuel pump is affected and it may have to be replaced. My friend was quoted a whopping 95000/- (YES! ) for it and explanation given was that it was an original part from Fiat italy and it is hard to source. Does a diesel fuel pump cost that much? anybody with experience in changing the part in question ?
Old 25th January 2007, 19:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Woooo he can get a second hand Palio D for that money.
Normally Fuel pump overhaul(Tata) costs 6500rs and thats all what is needed.
Fuel pump replacement is only in extreme cases.
Get a second opinion, ask around.
Since the car is not in warranty no need to put in a fuel pump. Some people fitted bosch fuel pump in their indicas, so I guess even Fiat can take a bosch etc., fuel pump. After all its just an ordinary IDI diesel.
Old 26th January 2007, 08:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
My friend was quoted a whopping 95000/-
That was precisely the reason why I did not go for Palio D when I was on the lookout for a car. I had read reviews that the fuel pump is pretty sensitive to bad fuel and it costs a bomb to replace.
Old 26th January 2007, 08:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Your friend could sue / ask the petrol pump which did the blunder to share the costs..[Doubt whether it would work though!!]

The Fuel pump is the heart of the Diesel Engine and a through cleaning the fuel system should do the job..the fuel light coming ON is only an electrical malfuntion and doubt whether a replacement is necessary!!

My condolences incase you are forced to change the pump.. This is how a marvellous Brand is being tarnished!!
Old 26th January 2007, 14:02   #5
Team-BHP Support

If the car was started on petrol in fuel tank then there is a chance, but otherwise its most probably the dealership trying to pocket in a cool 50-60,000 profit.
If fuel pump has gone bad, try to source it from somewhere else. Even original fiat fuel pump will cost only around 30-40K in open market, and a second hand one even less.
Old 26th January 2007, 17:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
On explaining to the service centre about this, my friend was told that maybe the fuel pump is affected and it may have to be replaced. My friend was quoted a whopping 95000/- (YES! ) for it and explanation given was that it was an original part from Fiat italy and it is hard to source.
Lies! Its a Bosch pump. Doesnt cost that much. It shouldn't be more than 60k. And moreover, when the pump goes bad, there is some other light that glows on the center console and not the low fuel lamp. Dont fall for it, they are trying to pocket your friends savings.

The low fuel light that glows is due to a failed sensor I assume since it is not connected to the tank float as far as I know.
Old 26th January 2007, 17:57   #7
BHPian

had not been posting for long, had been too busy making some money to rev up my Honda but this thread really attracted my attention.

hey mate, i thought it is only Honda that throws exorbitant prices at its owners, but it is a technological shame that your dealer quotes a diesel fuel pump for 95000!!! what has the world come to!!!???

to be exact,...the fuel pump of Honda City VTEC,... an integrated part of the sophisticated PGM-FI system in this petrol driven wonder costs only 10000 INR inclusive of postage charges from the US. (P.S.: This is not a 'google' output, but knowledge gained during another horror tale I had discussed in one of my posts.)

The PGM-FI system + the fuel pump and certain other replacements along with a new OHC VTEC petrol tank was found to be not more than 70K. Compare this information with the Honda badge in your mind.

read, read and read. think twice. i doubt your claim that ur fuel pump has gone wrong. else ur on-board computer is a bit illiterate. there is something wrong in the fuel metering system (excuse me for not using the right diesel terms).

why dont u PM the wonderful technocrats of this forum. they will be kind enough to help anytime.

car dealers are just directors of the world's worst horror movies. go n tell them the world has shrunk less than half. sourcing a component from abroad is not only the job of mercedes.

Last edited by gbpscars : 26th January 2007 at 18:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks