Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2019, 14:44   #1
BHPian

Replacement battery for my Audi A3: Do specifications have to match exactly?

Hi all, I need suggestions on which battery to use as a replacement for the Varta battery in my A3.

The current battery is facing charging problem on a daily basis and I need to change it immediately. The same battery (72AH) will cost me 21k from Audi service. I'm not able to find another brand in the market with same specifications.

Can I go with 68AH or 74AH battery or stick with the same brand and AH as suggested by my SA? Looking for suggestions from the experienced folks here.

Here is the pic of current Varta battery with its specifications.
Replacement battery for my Audi A3: Do specifications have to match exactly?-img_8266.jpg
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 17:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Replacement battery for my Audi A3: Do specifications have to match exactly?

Is your car out of the warranty period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
The same battery (72AH) will cost me 21k from Audi service.
Can I go with 68AH or 74AH battery or stick with the same brand and AH as suggested by my SA?
AH (Amp Hours) is a rating for how much power a battery can store & provide.

68AH and 74AH are close enough to 72AH -- So i don't think it will be a problem either way.

To be on the safe side, buy the 74AH one (larger capacity).
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 17:23   #3
BHPian

re: Replacement battery for my Audi A3: Do specifications have to match exactly?

Quote:
Can I go with 68AH or 74AH battery or stick with the same brand and AH as suggested by my SA? Looking for suggestions from the experienced folks here.
To be on the safe side go with 74AH battery. But do check if the battery is AGM type or normal lead acid type battery. AGM batteries are considerably more expensive than lead acid batteries. Euro cars typically use AGM type batteries.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2019 at 08:23. Reason: Typo
Dhruv29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 18:19   #4
BHPian

Re: Replacement battery for my Audi A3: Do specifications have to match exactly?

My Skoda's Varta battery went kaput in just under 2 years. Varta batteries don't last long, and was replaced by Exide batteries by the SC under warranty.

You should go ahead with Exide 74AH itself. Probably they are trying to maximize their profits. Anyways, since the amps will match, one doesn't need to worry much about anything else.

EXIDE 74AH battery at INR 8199
sharktale is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 18:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacement battery for my Audi A3: Do specifications have to match exactly?

Quote:
Hi all, I need suggestions on which battery to use as a replacement for the Varta battery in my A3.
This is a flooded battery, the sticker and magic eye tell you the type. Gell cell or VRLA batteries would cost about 1.5-2x more

You can buy an equivalent unit from another brand with the [u]same dimensions, terminal size, -ve terminal polarity (L or R) and capacity (72 AH).

If this isn't available from Exide/Amaron/Tata Green then your only option is to go for a battery from the dealer. Assuming your car is a diesel A3, this is what I could find at batterybhai dot com

A3 Diesel Mumbai

This is for Mumbai, please change the city to your place of residence to check availability. Or call a local dealer for one of the below mentioned battery models which should fit your car:

AMARON AAM-PR-574102069

EXIDE MTREDDIN74

SF SONIC FFS0-FS1440-DIN74
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2019, 00:33   #6
BHPian

Thank you all for the suggestions. As per your suggestions I have decided to go ahead with Amaron Pro 74 AH battery. I already spoke with the supplier and he said it'll fit in my vehicle.

My car is out of its warranty period.

I'll update the thread once it's done.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 02:27   #7
BHPian

Hi all, Got new battery for my car. Ended up with Exide 74 AH. Costed me Rs. 8700 with exchange of old battery. Thanks for the timely help everyone.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 20:13   #8

HI everyone. My two and a half year old Q3 battery too is dying. Its the same as the one posted here by Flyer.

My vehicle is in warranty and I was told that a battery has to be calibrated after its installation and so the dealer does not entertain any other battery other than the ones they sell. Their price is about 22,000/- while the same is available in the market for 1/3rd its price.
Is it true that the batteries need calibration?
Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th September 2019 at 17:35. Reason: Fixing typos. Please re-read your post before submitting.
Old 26th September 2019, 17:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeolus View Post
My vehicle is in warranty and I was told that a battery has to be calibrated after its installation and so the dealer does not entertain any other battery other than the ones they sell.
I guess the difference here is that your car is still in the warranty period, so adding a battery from a 3rd party might cause complications if you were to try to make a warranty claim in the future...
Old 26th September 2019, 19:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a few additional comments. In general as long as the replacement battery has at least the same rating as per the manufacturer requirements you should be good to go. You might want to check physical dimensions and position of the poles as well. I know that caught me out once.

The other thing, make sure it is actually the battery that is the problem and not the charging from your car.

Calibration of a battery is not necessary. This stems mainly from devices such as phones and laptops. All what is needed after a battery replacement on these devices is to reset or calibrate the battery indicator (e.g.% charge).

I vaguely remember reading about some high end cars needing something resetting or so after a battery swap, but I have never come across it myself. Obviously, most electronics in your car will, to a certain degree reset due to a battery swap, but that is no problem. (Eg on my Jaguar the various dashboard reading on fuel use etc reset and so does the ECU to some extend.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 26th September 2019 at 19:42.
Old 26th September 2019, 21:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
HI everyone. My two and a half year old Q3 battery too is dying. Its the same as the one posted here by Flyer.

My vehicle is in warranty and I was told that a battery has to be calibrated after its installation and so the dealer does not entertain any other battery other than the ones they sell. Their price is about 22,000/- while the same is available in the market for 1/3rd its price.
Is it true that the batteries need calibration?
Thanks.
Classic case of ripping a customer. Try writing to the company. If at all you might get a healthy discount. Sadly we are living in a world where dealers of all segments frighten customers citing warranties becoming void.
Old 26th September 2019, 21:39   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was told that a battery has to be calibrated after its installation and so the dealer does not entertain any other battery other than the ones they sell. Their price is about 22,000/- while the same is available in the market for 1/3rd its price.
It's kind of registration where the Dealership will run some program and feed information of the new battery. Usually, on BMW's batteries does last long, not sure why Audi worked for 2 1/2 year. If it's under warranty, better pay to the dealership. With VW group, it's better to keep the warranty intact. The outside battery may throw some errors as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement battery for my Audi A3: Do specifications have to match exactly?-screenshot-20190926-9.35.10-pm.png  

Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 21:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more information on the battery replacement procedure for BMW.

https://bimmertips.com/bmw-battery-r...ing-explained/

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 09:23   #14
KMT
BHPian

Thanks for this link. My F30 battery is 6 years old and is going strong but I guess a change will be required in the next year or so.

My FNG guy said he can source a Gel battery for about 50% of BMW service price but I did not ask him whether he has the software to recaliberate the vehicle sensors to accept the new battery as explained in the above post. I will send him this link and ask him whether he can do this.
Old 7th January 2020, 11:08   #15
BHPian

Battery for my A3 which is around 2 years old also suddenly died and I had to get it jump started yesterday.
I have found a dealer who source VARTA batteries in delhi. Would my extended warranty have any issues if I buy the same battery from outside instead of service center.

Off Topic -

Can someone suggest where to buy the lug nut key as the one provided with car is unable to open the nuts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks