Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2019, 18:52   #1

Can I mix different grades / types of coolant in my car's radiator?

Hello Team-BHPians,

Thanks for the enlightening posts that you all have made over the years. This forum has been my go to resource for all things Verna.

So I am a proud owner of Verna Petrol 2012 model. Except few issues like extreme light body (which can be dented perhaps even by a small pebble) the car has turned out to be an excellent purchase. In the last highway drive, gave a mileage of ~17.5 kmpl.

Coming to the question. Just last week, I got car serviced by a nearby mechanic and got the engine oil( Castrol Magnetec 5w30 synthetic), air filter, oil filter and coolant etc replaced. I purchased all those items from another auto spare shop.

I just purchased 1 liter of coolant for Petrol model thinking it would just need a topup and not the replacement. Upon inspection, the car mechanic informed that the whole coolant (around 2l ) would need to be replaced. He already had the coolant with him and he showed me the box which appeared the same from outside which I had purchased. Only while he was pouring it, I realized it was a different shade of green.

Now that I see this official link of Hyundai, (Check the beakers under "coolant petrol" and "coolant diesel" , I realized he has mixed my petrol coolant with the coolant meant for diesel cars.

What do you people think, will the diesel coolant mixed with petrol coolant pose an issue for the car? ( I have driven around 600 kms post servicing)
ankurj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 19:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Can I mix different grades / types of coolant in my car's radiator?

There would be no immediate risk. However, it is advisable to use the same grade coolant and not mix. If you are short of coolant, better to mix water.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 20:14   #3

Thanks for your response @dhanushs.

Could you please elaborate more on "no immediate risk"? What can be the potential risks due to this mixing? I have no idea whatsoever.
Old 20th April 2019, 11:31   #4
BHPian

I can give my general view on coolant mixing, though you need to check with service engineer for specific advice.

The main basic functions of any coolant:

- Carry heat generated from engine through the coolant. Then coolant is being cooled at radiator.

- Coolant has high boiling point, there by reduced or nil evaporation of coolant level.

- All coolant are alkaline in nature to control the corrosion at check at all time.

- Earlier days when we were kids, remember radiator is filled with plain water, after every 2 - 3 hours of continuous drive. I have seen the driver fills up with plain water. He was basically adding make up water for the quantity evaporated.

So there is no panic situation for mixing of coolants. Please take your time to visit the service station at your convenient time.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 18:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

There are different grades of coolant - you cant' always tell by the colour though green (regardless of shade) is all similar to each other, just shouldn't be used in place of say red coolant.

That is a rule of thumb is all though, read this, then check the backs of those coolant bottles, compare the specified grade with what is mentioned in your manual.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/0...of-antifreeze/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.H View Post
I can give my general view on coolant mixing, though you need to check with service engineer for specific advice.

- Carry heat generated from engine through the coolant. Then coolant is being cooled at radiator.

- Coolant has high boiling point, there by reduced or nil evaporation of coolant level.

- All coolant are alkaline in nature to control the corrosion at check at all time.

- Earlier days when we were kids, remember radiator is filled with plain water, after every 2 - 3 hours of continuous drive. I have seen the driver fills up with plain water. He was basically adding make up water for the quantity evaporated.

So there is no panic situation for mixing of coolants. Please take your time to visit the service station at your convenient time.

Venkatesh.H
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 18:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.H View Post

Venkatesh.H
Thank You. That reassurance would help soothe my nerves. Though I believe, the mechanic should have informed me if he knowingly mixed the two different varieties (or should I say shades).
ankurj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 20:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That is a rule of thumb is all though, read this, then check the backs of those coolant bottles, compare the specified grade with what is mentioned in your manual.
Nice article about different coolants.

- It is clearly mentioned, specifically in-organic and organic coolants should not be mixed.

- I had suggested above basis car has already run for more than 600km after mixing coolants without any issues.

- If two coolants are not compatible, then it will results into coagulation and then finally leads to sludge. Which affect smooth circulation of coolant during car running. In such cases the vehicles will not be able to run more than 50km. Inadequate circulation of coolant will activate high engine temperature and engine stalls.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 22:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

We can figure out different coolant types and colors etc but, if you are unsure of what has gone into the radiator, Go to the dealership and ask them to drain and replace it with whatever is OEM for peace of mind, its not costly and peace of mind is of course priceless.

The dilution is critical , if hyundai has a premixed coolant, that is the best bet.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 16:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
We can figure out different coolant types and colors etc but, if you are unsure of what has gone into the radiator, Go to the dealership and ask them to drain and replace it with whatever is OEM for peace of mind, its not costly and peace of mind is of course priceless.

The dilution is critical , if hyundai has a premixed coolant, that is the best bet.
That isn’t a good idea. You are paying a lot extra for what is basically coolant concentrate plus distilled water that’s available at any petrol pump @ 20 rupees a litre.

Follow the dilution instructions on the back of whatever coolant bottle you bought - most say 1:3 for the concentrate to distilled water ratio.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:43   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Can I mix different grades / types of coolant in my car's radiator?

Same rule as that for engine oils, I guess. Better not to mix up grades & types. If you do so, it's ONLY in an emergency situation. Luckily, owners of modern cars usually never face these situations as today's cars don't require any coolant maintenance / top-up between the scheduled service intervals. Pretty much the same for engine oil too (unless you own a VAG TSI ).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can I mix different grades / types of coolant in my car's radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Same rule as that for engine oils, I guess. Better not to mix up grades & types. If you do so, it's ONLY in an emergency situation. Luckily, owners of modern cars usually never face these situations as today's cars don't require any coolant maintenance / top-up between the scheduled service intervals. Pretty much the same for engine oil too (unless you own a VAG TSI ).
Coolant needs to be changed once in two years. Most service centres will happily top up the existing coolant or even just add distilled water and give it back to you for the first few services. Much the same as engine oil changes during “free service”.

Grades and types shouldn’t be mixed but one brand of red coolant might be a bit different shade from another brand while being of the same spec. So what the bottle says is what counts rather than slightly different colour shades or premix vs concentrate.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks