Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2007, 15:16   #1
BHPian

A dog on the road and a speeding brand new Swift

Guys,

Yesterday night I was driving my new Swift (Lx - without ABS). The speed was not much around 70-75. A dog suddenly came from nowhere right in the middle of the road (typical Indian scenario :-) )

I pushed hard on the brakes..and ....whoila...to my amusement, my darling halted in a fraction of a second without skidding in line with the road (in the direction of travel). Thank god, I wear seat belts especially at night.

Now so far so good. The dog escaped safetly and was admiring my driving skills from across the road..

I was not in a hurry and since the road is quite deserted I got down to see any skid marks because I heard some skidding for sure.

I was surprised to see that rear tyres did skid horizontly (approax. a foot).

I had always suspected that Maruti service guys have pumped in more air than recommeded in all four than recommended (33psi for my 165 JK Vectra) for some more fuel efficiency. Today I checked the air at Shell petrol pump on a digital meter and it was around 33 on all four.

Now my question is why should rear tyres skid horizontly a bit ?

I think,

1. Swift may be a tail happy car on high speeds

2. Swift rear tyres may be riding on less weight that front tyres

3. Brake pressure distribution may not be equal on rear tyres and that's why horizontal skidding

what do you think mates ?
Old 28th January 2007, 18:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Though i am not an expert to say for sure but the 2nd and 3rd points makes some sense. Good observation bakshi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
3. Brake pressure distribution may not be equal on rear tyres and that's why horizontal skidding
Brake force distribution may not be same for all the tyres. Why??
Because, the weight of the passengers is not equally distributed in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
....2. Swift rear tyres may be riding on less weight that front tyres
BTW, how many people were travelling in the car. I think ABS with EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution) does that work decently and you said LX without ABS.

Most Viewed