Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2007, 22:11   #1
BHPian

Do premium fuels harm engines?

hi guys, i just came around a strange question,i recently went to a garage when my friend had his car painting work done,and the owner of the garage was talking to a man,saying tht some stuff of the engine got damaged as he was using the fuels like speed , Xtrapremium etc? so i wanted to know whether these fuels with high levels of octane damage the engine and whether we mess our vehicles in search of high performance?
Old 30th January 2007, 22:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Speed, during the time of its 1st release was known to seize a few engines - hence at the time the recommended was IOC Premium. All thats in the past now - and premium petrols these days work hard to optimize engine performance and efficiency.

Toyota doesnt recommend Premium diesel for its Innova - its known to create excess smoke and decrease in engine o/p. But thats due to Toyota detuning that diesel engine for higher-sulfur normal diesel

Last edited by theMAG : 30th January 2007 at 22:53.
Old 30th January 2007, 23:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Premium Fuels vs Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankeerthreddy View Post
owner of the garage was talking to a man,saying tht some stuff of the engine got damaged as he was using the fuels like speed , Xtrapremium etc? so i wanted to know whether these fuels with high levels of octane damage the engine and whether we mess our vehicles in search of high performance?
My experiences..

I had a '95 Esteem which had covered 75000 kms..started using X'Premium in it.Performance was up bu after a few hundred kms found teh car started consuming engine oil.This was evident with some minor soot formation in the tailpipe.Plugs remained clean,though.I switched back to normal fuel and saw that the rate of engine oil depletion had reduced within 2000 kms.I later sold the car (about two years ago) and the present owner says oil loss is zero now(odo 95000 kms).I can't figure it out excepy perhaps that the additives in premium fuel could have removed the carbon on the pistons/rings and that would have increased clearances.

I am using Speed in my Versa -clocked 35000 kms ; no oil loss and good performance.
Old 30th January 2007, 23:47   #4
BHPian

I keep switching between regular and IOC Extrapremium. When I use premium I feel the engine is running quiet and cold starts are better (marginally or just could be my perception). One observation not to my liking is with premium in my last tankful I thought cranking got harder (based on the sounds I hear) during cold starts.
Old 31st January 2007, 12:02   #5
BHPian

the last time i gave my palio for service at rf motors,the authorised tata-fiat dealer,they advised against using premium fuels.i casually told the mechanic i used only speed,and he told me fiat does not recommend using 91-octane fuel for the palio,but to stick to the regular fuel.he said it could result in fuel pump damage!!

strangely,autocar india used speed petrol in their long-term palio 1.6 and they said the performance and FE improved after the shift to 91-octane.according to them,high compression engines run better with higher octane fuel.

anyway i switched back to the regular fuel now!!
Old 31st January 2007, 13:27   #6
BHPian

For Indian bikes including Pulsar 180 and Hero Honda Karizma. It is not recommeded to use high Octane fuels. (Speed, HP Premium ..)
The heat generated by these fuels are high and increases the carbon deposits on the engines. This can reduce engine life, if bikes are reved at high RPM constantly.

For cars, it would improve efficiency as the fuel heat and energy gets distributed and utilized. The efficieny would be evident from the C segment class cars.
Old 31st January 2007, 13:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A business associate in Bangalore recently had a problem with his Skoda 1.9TDi. The diesel pump had failed.

When he asked the service supervisor, he was told that it had mostly failed because of using premium diesel with additives. (He was always using Turbojet diesel). The service supervisor said that Skoda motor recommends you put only regualr diesel in the car. Apparently diesel with addditives tend to leave a small residue of additives causing gumming inside the pumps. (He said)

As you can imagine, my associate blew his top. Imagine paying more for fuel only to find out that your diesel pump (costing a cool 24K) has blown because of that.

As expected the Skoda dealership will not issue an official statement stating that as the cause of the failure.

I've just got a new diesel Verna and have decided to stick to chaalu diesel, after listening to this story. Maybe I can add some additives once in a while, like system G. Do you get system G for diesel?
Old 31st January 2007, 14:19   #8
BHPian

yeah sam we get system G for diesel but its called system D not sure though about the name
Old 31st January 2007, 14:21   #9
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
A business associate in Bangalore recently had a problem with his Skoda 1.9TDi. The diesel pump had failed.

When he asked the service supervisor, he was told that it had mostly failed because of using premium diesel with additives. (He was always using Turbojet diesel). The service supervisor said that Skoda motor recommends you put only regualr diesel in the car. Apparently diesel with addditives tend to leave a small residue of additives causing gumming inside the pumps. (He said)

As you can imagine, my associate blew his top. Imagine paying more for fuel only to find out that your diesel pump (costing a cool 24K) has blown because of that.

As expected the Skoda dealership will not issue an official statement stating that as the cause of the failure.
I wonder why not? If the pump failed due to gumming caused by the additives of the premium diesel, surely that can be easily estabilished by opening up the pump and analyzing the residue? Premium diesel should normally improve the engine performance/life in a high-performance car like Skoda, so it is a pity that they cannot come up with a fuel pump that can handle premium diesel.

Quote:
I've just got a new diesel Verna and have decided to stick to chaalu diesel, after listening to this story. Maybe I can add some additives once in a while, like system G. Do you get system G for diesel?
I have no idea, but I would suggest that you follow what Hyundai recommends for Verna and don't do anything else. If they recommend premium diesel, go for it because not only would that improve your engine performance/life, but also there is less chance of adulteration in these fuels (since the dealers are already getting a better price for it).

I have personally been using Speed petrol in my Santro for over 6 years now and I have had no problems. I think with the latest high-octane Speed (93?) the car's performance has improved. My only doubt is whether these additives can damage the catalytic converter at the exhaust. I haven't done an emission test for ages, but whenever I had done it the emissions were found to be within norms.
Old 31st January 2007, 14:21   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes also strictly recommends against using premium diesel.
Old 31st January 2007, 14:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Skoda does recommend " Normal Diesel" only. And I have been (had rather) following this only. Only once did I tank up with premium diesel (masti hai na) , never felt any difference in the car's behaviour so back to Normal Diesel.
Old 31st January 2007, 14:50   #12
BHPian

technically it seems suitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
the last time i gave my palio for service at rf motors,the authorised tata-fiat dealer,they advised against using premium fuels.i casually told the mechanic i used only speed,and he told me fiat does not recommend using 91-octane fuel for the palio,but to stick to the regular fuel.he said it could result in fuel pump damage!!

strangely,autocar india used speed petrol in their long-term palio 1.6 and they said the performance and FE improved after the shift to 91-octane.according to them,high compression engines run better with higher octane fuel.

anyway i switched back to the regular fuel now!!
People recommed 91 octane for compression ratios above 9 (or is it 9.5). For Palio and Petra 1.6 engines it is exactly 9.5. My workshop recommended using regular and they said it is ok to use. But seems like the manual says 87 octane should be used.
Old 31st January 2007, 14:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to add - Ford also recommends Normal Petrol (87 Octane) only for the Ikon. Have always been using Speed and in between used 93 Octane and 97 Octane too quite regularly, no issues. The car is running great after nearly 4.5 years.
Old 31st January 2007, 15:18   #14
BHPian

I have a 4 year corsa. GM also says not to use premium fuels. They advise to use normal unleaded petrol with IFTEX G additives. The Corsa manual also recomends this. Have been using IFTEX G from day one & no trouble at all. In fact couple of times when IFTEX G was not used milage was lower with some engine knocking. I feel instead of using premium fuel using normal fuel with additives like IFTEX may be better. At least you are sure that additives are there in the tank.
Old 31st January 2007, 16:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Using high octane petrol in lower compression engines is just a waste of money. As for the additives in premium fuels, they could be used once in a while. Its not necessary to use additives all the time. Having to tune the engine for normal octane petrol is one of the advantages for the car buyer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks