Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2008, 09:09   #151
Senior - BHPian

@V-16: That is an excellant and informative discourse...
Old 7th June 2008, 14:36   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingping View Post
Could some one say what are the other ways of cleaning the wipers, other than diesel. Moreover what are the fluids we can use in windscreen washer holder. I have heard we can use alcohol for this purpose.
One can use mild detergent or car shampoo. Dont use corrosive stuff or liquids which will harm your wiper rubber or the paint.
Diesel is the best cleanser. Does not spoil paint and cleans grime very well. The next time you drop in for a refill at the pump, carry a small bottle (a small mineral water bottle will do) and ask the attendant to give you a point of diesel. Use this for the purpose. Diesel is safe and is used by the professional car cleaners. They spray it on areas where stubborn grime gets deposited and leave it for a few minutes after which they wash it off.
There is a special washer fluid which one can use in the reservoir. Or else can make this fluid at home by mixing water and Methyl Alcohol but Methyl Alcohol is expensive. I usually put in just a few drops of Car shampoo. This always helps. Then just to be careful, before every top up i flush the system with warm water to clean any clog in the nozzles and i have no complaints whatsoever.
The best solution is to use a readily available windscreen washer fluid. Such a fluid is usually available in a concentrated form and one has to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the mixing of water in the proper proportion for best results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
@V-16: That is an excellant and informative discourse...
Thanks man. didnt know a thread already existed. Funny, it didnt show up in my search. Must be doing something wrong.
Old 9th June 2008, 09:15   #153
BHPian

Handy tools to be kept in the car :

Hammer: to break the glass on the driver's window from the middle/centre, in case of an auto-lock system failure.
Thick long at least 20 meters nylon rope with a hook to be kept the dickey.
Fully charged powerful torch.
Plastic sheets and spare umbrella
Dry and non -perishable food items to be kept in vacuum container in ample quantity
At least two liters of bottled water to be filled daily. A working whistle.
A well equipped first aid kit with bandage, pain relief spray, antiseptic cream, anti-allergic like Avil, Aspirin, mosquito repellent cream or spray like Odomos. Car drivers with illness for which they take prescription drugs, should keep a stock of their medicines in the car.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2008 at 13:07. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do not cut-copy-paste from other word softwares.
Old 9th June 2008, 15:52   #154
BHPian

v-16,

Thanks a lot for the information, This is my first rainy season driving and certainly helps me to a great extent
Old 9th June 2008, 16:56   #155
Senior - BHPian

Changed my Wipers on Saturday could see a substantial difference in cleaning of windshield. Coted me Rs 300 not sure of the brand got it changes at M.A.S.S.
Old 10th June 2008, 11:33   #156
Senior - BHPian

I too changed my wiperblades yesterday. The cost was Rs. 300. There is a marked improvement in visibilty during rains. I bought the wiper blades from Nanapeth, Pune.

My old blades lasted two years. It was a Chevrolet genuine blade and cost was Rs. 350.
Old 10th June 2008, 11:46   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
There is a special washer fluid which one can use in the reservoir. Or else can make this fluid at home by mixing water and Methyl Alcohol but Methyl Alcohol is expensive. I usually put in just a few drops of Car shampoo. This always helps. Then just to be careful, before every top up i flush the system with warm water to clean any clog in the nozzles and i have no complaints whatsoever.
The best solution is to use a readily available windscreen washer fluid. Such a fluid is usually available in a concentrated form and one has to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the mixing of water in the proper proportion for best results.
I generally use the wash concentrate available at M.A.S.S as an M.G.A product. It costs Rs. 13 per sachet. Works quite well to clean the windscreen.
Old 14th June 2008, 13:10   #158
Senior - BHPian

Anti Rain Treatment

Hi!

I found two products today which seem to be good for the rains.

ABRO Clearview AntiRain and AntiFog treatment for glass.

Driving in the Rains - Tips-abro_clearview_anti_rain.jpg

Driving in the Rains - Tips-abro_clearview_antifog.jpg

Each bottle is around Rs. 165/-.
the antirain goes on the outside to repel rain/sleet/snow.
the antifog goes on the inside of the windshield and prevents fogging of the windscreen.

I've bought the antirain treatment. Using a dry cloth apply in circles on a clean windshield till a haze forms, let dry and repeat. Clean the residue haze. This is similar to Rain-X.

I've used Rain-X in the past and its pretty good. Will post my experience with this later..

Sonax has an additive (Rs. 70/- ) to the washer tank, which is a concentrate to be added to 2.5lts, which acts like a shampoo that V-16 mentioned above.
Old 14th June 2008, 14:52   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi!

I found two products today which seem to be good for the rains.

ABRO Clearview AntiRain and AntiFog treatment for glass.

Attachment 21092

Attachment 21093

Each bottle is around Rs. 165/-.
the antirain goes on the outside to repel rain/sleet/snow.
the antifog goes on the inside of the windshield and prevents fogging of the windscreen.

I've bought the antirain treatment. Using a dry cloth apply in circles on a clean windshield till a haze forms, let dry and repeat. Clean the residue haze. This is similar to Rain-X.

I've used Rain-X in the past and its pretty good. Will post my experience with this later..

Sonax has an additive (Rs. 70/- ) to the washer tank, which is a concentrate to be added to 2.5lts, which acts like a shampoo that V-16 mentioned above.
Dude, can you please tell me where you bought these? I've been looking for something like this for a while.
cheers:
Old 14th June 2008, 19:58   #160
Senior - BHPian

Super Service Station KammanaHalli Main Road, next to Sena Vihar.
Old 15th June 2008, 00:26   #161
Senior - BHPian

For the easiest and cheapest way out, use a sachet of good quality hair shampoo from a good company. A sachet should do and will not cost more than Rs 2/- at the maximum. If its good for your hair and body, I feel, its definately good for your car body.
Old 16th June 2008, 10:28   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Hi!

Does it effect the sunfilm on the windscreen ? I have AIR75 on my front windscreen and am scared of its effects.

Can anyone shed light on this pleaseeeeee ?
Old 27th June 2008, 06:13   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover View Post
urself and the car in front ..
I learnt this from my dad's friend in Munich.

While driving behind another vehicle, drive far enough that you can see the read wheels.

Keep checking on the RVM every 30secs.

Slow down when its raining and do more of engine braking. ABS always helps on worst-case scenarios.
Old 15th May 2009, 13:15   #164
Senior - BHPian

for past few months i have been using rain-x wipers. they keep dissipating some rain-x and so the area they wipe is always water repelling. works pretty well.
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:51   #165
Senior - BHPian

Driving tips -for rainy days

Monsoon days are nearing.
I had seen an accident yesterday which prompted me to start this thread.The roads were wet and slippery.A lancer which was giving way for another car which was overtaking a bus comming in the opposite direction sliped off the road.The sides of the road was slushy and very slippery.The car literally flew off and hit an auto parked on the road side,took the auto along for the rest of the journey through a banking and slipped nearly 100 mtrs before comming to a halt.
I would enumerate some points which has come to my mind while driving in the rains.
1.Road surface are culprits in most of the accidents.The surface changes on a road if the tarring has been done in steps.Look out for the surface changes or color variation of the roads.Gutters or un even surfaces can take us for a surprise and bear in mind the visiblity factor is very low in rains.
2.Keep a comfortable braking distance.Some people whose cars are equiped with ABS feel that they are always in a safe zone.A word of caution for them-your car would take much greater stopping distance in the rains.You can be assured that your car wont skid but the stopping distance is much more dangerous.
3.Have the wipers checked and all the warning lamps like indicators and brake lights checked before the rainy season.
4.You have have a fair idea about your cars shoes.Always have the tires with better tread in the front.
5.Fog formation in the front glass could be extremely dangerous.Direct the air flow to the wind shield and switch to out side air circulation to balance the humidity inside the car with that of outside to avoid this.
6.In events of heavy rains i would suggest the Children to be kept in the back seats as at times they could be a point of distraction.

Team add on your views and sugestions or queries so that it would be of great help to new drivers as well as enthusiasts.

ram
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks