Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 17:57   #181
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
While driving yesterday night in the rain, whenever the windscreen wiper was used, it left a slight misty residue on the glass. This was outside and not inside. I had the AC on and thought that the outside part of the windscreen is misting up because it was cool inside the car. I tried turning off the AC and different other combinations, but nothing worked. It was real tough to drive because headlight of other vehicles were becoming a glare.
Keep the AC on - vents in face mode and in fresh air mode when it rains. This has helped me.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:13   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
@unni-Cleaning the glass can be done with any glass cleaner but give it to a A.S.S.they have to change the wiper so let them do the cleaning job too.
OT-oh is it Why dint you pop in,now you might see a black swift ZXi there.verna is at home.
ram
Ram, I was planning to get the wiper installed by self and hence the question on glass cleaning solutions!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Even i use tobacco to clean the windshield and have found it to be effective. It cleans off all the greasy stuff on the surface of the windshield.
Thanks addy. Have you found any discoloring of rubber beedings or plastic parts after using tobacco?

Hrishi, will try that too. Reading through all the suggestions, I think the following will sort this issue out:

1. New windscreen wipers.
2. Cleaning the glass using a glass cleaning solution.
3. Fresh air mode when it rains, with the AC on.

Last edited by unni.ak : 22nd May 2009 at 18:20. Reason: Grammar, Spelling. English is tough.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:15   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even i use tobacco to clean the windshield and have found it to be effective. It cleans off all the greasy stuff on the surface of the windshield.
I have seen many times the tourist bus drivers and truck drivers using the news paper as well as some leaves of some specific tree (i do not rememeber which one) . They first pour lot of watter on the windshild and then use the paper/leaves to wipe it off. They told me that it is the best and the cheapest way to clean the windshild.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:32   #184
Senior - BHPian

sonax antibeschlag (antimist) spray worked for me in the esteem since this effect was quite common. In Civic yet to see this issue.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:33   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks addy. Have you found any discoloring of rubber beedings or plastic parts after using tobacco?
Until now, haven't faced any problem of that kind. Why would rubber beading discolour if I use it on the windshield??
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:41   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
sonax antibeschlag (antimist) spray worked for me in the esteem since this effect was quite common. In Civic yet to see this issue.
Thanks laluks. Will keep this in mind next time I go accessory shopping.

Quote:
Until now, haven't faced any problem of that kind. Why would rubber beading discolour if I use it on the windshield??
rubber beeding that holds the windscreen in place is the one i mentioned. Also, between the bonnet and windscreen, there usually is a plastic/fiberglass bit. When it rains, the tobacco juice (for lack of a better word) also flows onto the beedings and plastic.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:53   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
rubber beeding that holds the windscreen in place is the one i mentioned. Also, between the bonnet and windscreen, there usually is a plastic/fiberglass bit. When it rains, the tobacco juice (for lack of a better word) also flows onto the beedings and plastic.
When you wash with tobacco, you should not let it stay on the windshield. It just acts as a detergent or a cleaning agent. You have to wash it off after using it. Its just like soap. If you let it dry on your windshield, rest assured, you will have a big mess later
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:59   #188
BHPian

Quote:
When you wash with tobacco, you should not let it stay on the windshield. It just acts as a detergent or a cleaning agent. You have to wash it off after using it. Its just like soap. If you let it dry on your windshield, rest assured, you will have a big mess later
That makes more sense. I've seen a few transport drivers just rub the tobacco leaves on the glass without washing it off. I guess the rain water will do the washing off part for them!!! Thanks for the tip and clarification addy.
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:27   #189
Senior - BHPian

@unni, fogging on glass, both inside and outside seems to be the most confusing issue during rains, and many people post misleading/confusing information regarding it's solution probably based on their trial-and-error observations (IMHO, that is). I don't believe in any "matching" of outside and inside temp or humidity, it doesn't make sense. What you really need to do is to raise the temp of glass and reduce humidity as much as possible. For inside fogging you can do both by switching on AC and setting temperature control to a warm position. But the effect of AC is dominating/faster as compared to temp. For outside fogging, you can control only temp of glass, so just raise it by blowing hot air onto windshield. For rear glass you can use demister as well (if available). If you follow this, I don't really think external air or recirculation really makes much difference. I personally prefer recirculation because of pollution. Rolling down windows, that too in rains, seems like a bad idea to me.

Misty layer due to wipers is another problem for which you need to look for other solutions like cleaning methods, water repellants, good quality wipers etc. However, raising windshield temperature helps here too, though to a lesser extent.

(I have mentioned this elsewhere a couple of times in the past, couldn't resist postint it again!)
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:49   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Consider this ghastly situation.

It's night and you are on a highway and it's raining (not pouring like cats and dogs).

Suddenly your wiper gives up and nearest town is say 50-60 Km...

Last year, I was stucked in such situation. Worst, I was travelling with my family and my little 5 months daughter....

What I did was I started tailing a state transport bus with sufficient distance. I chose this bus on the basis that it had bright functional stoplights and was quite new (helps to reflect light). I was halting my car just behind the bus when the bus used to stop in small bus stands of villages. Incidently the driver (Sachin) got curious and after couple of stops, got down with his umbrella and came to me. I explained him my problem to him while he mumbled "muze laga hi tha..". The driver told me to buy 2-3 cigaretts from the bidi shop and rub the tobacco on the windshield. "pani jada rukega nahi glass pe"..he said. I promptly obeyed his instructions and voila....it worked!!

Now windshield was much clearer !

I felt that Sachin was now driving a bit slowly and responsibily (turning on side indicators well in advance even for slight turns..)

I followed him for around 60 KM's and finally reached my destination (Nashik) safetly. I followed this kind driver in the bus stand and I got down and offered him tea and snacks and thanked him. I reached my uncle's home without any problem afterwards in bright street lights.

So, guys two tips if your wiper is out of service during rainy night.

1. Rub some tobacco on the windshield

2. Follow a bus/truck with good stoplights which goes at moderate speeds

3. If possible, explain the situation to the driver. I am sure that 99.99% of the drivers will drive more responsibly and will take you to your destination safetly. (Dont hesitate to offer them tea and snacks in the cold night)

Happy motoring !

Cheers
Dear Abhay I also had same situation about 14 years ago when I was travelling all alone in my MARUTI VAN from Aurangabad to Mumbai although it was not raining but it was midnight and I wanted to take Ahmednagar,Pune route. Now why I was alone it was unavoidable and I must be in Mumbai next day morning. I went to Kranti Chowk had dinner at darling hotel and went streight to ST depot at 10.45pm. I went on checking all buses with MUMBAI or PANVEL board finally I found one with driver inside I callled him out and with folded hands told him that I will be driving to Mumbai now in my own gaadi and requsted him to follow me ,without overtaking me he said that saab it is a good thaught as there are lot of daku on the way at night on this highway looting cars and taxis and immediately agreed.I told him that he must start from outside depot itself. So I was outside waiting for him and started the van immediately on seeing him come out of the depot he flashed his lights telling me that he has seen me . And we started our journey he maintained distance of 150 feet. First halt for him Ahmed nagar he gave his signal indicator that he will enter depot,agin as aurangabad I was waiting outside he was with me , this went on till wee hrs till panvel now it was daybreak I parked outside depot went inside depot THANKED him, he said why now He can still take me furthertill Mumbai I said I can manage now we had tea and biscuites togather, other drivers ,his collegues asked about me they all said to me TOH KAYA HUA SAAB AAP KI MADAD KIYA TOH HUM BHI KHUSH HAIN.I said to myself about that saying EK AUR EK GYARAH HOTE HAIN
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:23   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
@unni, fogging on glass, both inside and outside seems to be the most confusing issue during rains, and many people post misleading/confusing information regarding it's solution probably based on their trial-and-error observations (IMHO, that is). I don't believe in any "matching" of outside and inside temp or humidity, it doesn't make sense. What you..............temperature helps here too, though to a lesser extent.

(I have mentioned this elsewhere a couple of times in the past, couldn't resist postint it again!)
Thanks Santosh. Will try this as well. But, the fog appears only when the wiper is on. Seconds after the wiper stops, the fog goes off, as long as I'm driving and not stand still. Your logic should work as well, but it'll end in having the car interior warm. The rear glass defogger works on the same principle of heating up the glass slightly.
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:41   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will try this as well. But, the fog appears only when the wiper is on. Seconds after the wiper stops, the fog goes off, as long as I'm driving and not stand still.
Yeah, that is why I said it is a different problem. I guess it clears off faster while driving because of resulting air flow.

Quote:
Your logic should work as well, but it'll end in having the car interior warm.
True, that is why it doesn't help so much for wiper mist. For normal fogging it works fine though, without needing to make cabin uncomfortably hot.

Quote:
The rear glass defogger works on the same principle of heating up the glass slightly.
Right, it does not try to "match" anything between outside and inside, just raises temp upwards that's it
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:01   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Yeah, that is why I said it is a different problem. I guess it clears off faster while driving because of resulting air flow.
True, that is why it doesn't help so much for wiper mist. For normal fogging it works fine though, without needing to make cabin uncomfortably hot.
Right, it does not try to "match" anything between outside and inside, just raises temp upwards that's it
thanks for the clarification. Will update on the results of new wiper + glass cleaning. And today it hasn't rained yet, so wont be able to try out new learnings.
Old 23rd May 2009, 13:05   #194
Senior - BHPian

@Santhosh- What you have told is true but the issue is that we cannot heat the front glass alone and if we put on the A/C in heater mode then more humidity is produced inside the car.Then more fog appears on the inside of the car.
To give a clearer picture of the importance of recirculation of outside air-In verna which has a semi auto climate control if we put the A/C vent to the wind shield then automatically it goes to the outside air mode.
ram
Old 23rd May 2009, 14:47   #195
Senior - BHPian

@Ram, source of humidity inside is passengers (exhaled air), while it is the environment itself for outside (which shoots up during rains). Recirculation mode is definitely a big problem if AC is turned off, but otherwise it can easily remove inside humidity irrespective of whether you are taking air from outside or recirculate it. In some cars, I have heard that AC is automatically turned off when you set temperature knob to a warm position. If that is the case, then I absolutely agree that recirculation mode will create a mess inside for sure. Otherwise using hot setting and AC in ON position simultaneously is the best way to control fogging. I believe some automatic climate control systems do the same in their "defrosting" mode.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks