Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2007, 11:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

kinda off topic:

is it really required to have mud flaps? Mercs, BMWs, etc doesnt come with factory fitted mud flaps. the Padmini (also our m800) never came with the mud flaps. dad got the mud flaps when he bought the car in '88 ('98).

i have heard that rain water cannot drain properly through the wheel wells if we have mud flaps and can create problems? any comments?

PS: its better to fill up the windshield washer ka dubba with Colin instead of Lifebouy, fa, dettol handwash.
Old 30th June 2007, 11:46   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
kinda off topic:

is it really required to have mud flaps? Mercs, BMWs, etc doesnt come with factory fitted mud flaps. the Padmini (also our m800) never came with the mud flaps. dad got the mud flaps when he bought the car in '88 ('98).

i have heard that rain water cannot drain properly through the wheel wells if we have mud flaps and can create problems? any comments?

PS: its better to fill up the windshield washer ka dubba with Colin instead of Lifebouy, fa, dettol handwash.
Infact..all cars have mudgaurds designed to clear water without much splashing,,but they ave a limitation..

If one observes..closely while travelling in rain and overtaking ..the water from the tyre hits the mudgaurd of the car and then drips down to the road thru the vehicle's rain channel..

Only the water picked up by the sidewall of the tyres cause the spray.. ALL / any mudflaps / after market ones will not be able to do much on this spray..

Its worth using your windscreen washer filled with soap water to assist the wiper in cleaning your windscreen..

I've also had the pleasure of using Rain-X in my X CJ3B that had no WIPERS
Old 17th July 2007, 15:39   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
I filled a table spoon of Surf into the windshield washer dabba, worked MUCH better than those windshield washer fluids that you get in the market. Am just back from a 400 km journey in 1 day (rain, mud, shine ..) and boy am i glad that I did that.

I once saw a volvo driver using surf to clean the windscreen.

Put some surf in a half filled bottle of water
Shake well and pour it on the windscreen
Start the wipers and wash off the soap using another bottle of water
And viola, you have got a clean windscreen

Was pretty impressed with the job. But dont have the guts to try it myself
Old 17th July 2007, 18:59   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Does Surf have abrasive properties? If so, wouldn't this be bad for the windscreen?
Old 17th July 2007, 20:56   #95
BHPian

i think it would make more sense to use something which is normally used to clean glass - adding colin + water as wiper fluid is i think the best option
Old 19th July 2007, 22:50   #96
Senior - BHPian

air intake

was just wondering...from my understanding, the main cause of engine getting into deep trouble during rains is through the air intake and the exhaust. Water will not enter the exhaust if you put a foot slightly hard on the accelerator and NEVER try to start your car while in water in case the engine goes off.

But regarding the air intake....where the hell is this thing in my (your) car. I mean how high is this and how can we actually know how deep of water the vehicle can manage to go through. Mine is a FIAT Adventure. Can anyone give me some insights on the air intake. Others with other vehicles can join in with whatever they know.

MODS: Thought of starting a thread for this but later on finding this thread decided to stick to this. I hope i will get replies in this thread itself else could you just move it to a new thread.

Last edited by gemithomas : 19th July 2007 at 22:51.
Old 19th July 2007, 23:06   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i think it would make more sense to use something which is normally used to clean glass - adding colin + water as wiper fluid is i think the best option
There are ready made liquids available in the market for this. Or a mild shampoo should be enough mixed with a shot of vodka.
Old 28th July 2007, 10:24   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I once saw a volvo driver using surf to clean the windscreen.

Put some surf in a half filled bottle of water
Shake well and pour it on the windscreen
Start the wipers and wash off the soap using another bottle of water
And viola, you have got a clean windscreen

Was pretty impressed with the job. But dont have the guts to try it myself
Surf, if it comes in contact with your paint can cause streaks and damage the paint. use hair shampoo. I have been using sunsilk, (no connection with the company) and getting a clean results.
Old 9th August 2007, 20:02   #99
BHPian

My 'one' cent
After crossing a flooded road apply breaks to a small extend (not to stop your vehicle!) so that the breakpads heated up and clear the water film between the drum/disc and the pads. Easiest way to regain the normal breaking distance fast.
some additional information for those who are really serious about water crossings
Water Crossings

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
kinda off topic:
For cars fine, lack of mud-flaps will just make some additional mud/dirt on the side and under the vehicle. but for two wheelers imagine riding a two wheeler behind another one that don't have a mud-flap - during a rainy day on a dirty road!
Old 29th August 2007, 16:12   #100
BHPian

Hi Guys

I have a XETA GLS and have been noticing that the rear windscreen gets foggy during my drives in the rains. Since no wiper can be fixed at the rear I am usually perplexed when it comes to driving at nighttime and its pouring.

I have recently started washing my windscreens with shampoo but my worry is when it rains there is very little clarity and I cannot see the oncoming traffic. This is even when the AC is switched on.
Old 29th August 2007, 17:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Hi Guys

I have a XETA GLS and have been noticing that the rear windscreen gets foggy during my drives in the rains. Since no wiper can be fixed at the rear I am usually perplexed when it comes to driving at nighttime and its pouring.

I have recently started washing my windscreens with shampoo but my worry is when it rains there is very little clarity and I cannot see the oncoming traffic. This is even when the AC is switched on.
the outside of the rear windscreen (& windshield / windows) becomes foggy na - thats because the cabin is cooler with the AC switched on - and this is when the rear wiper comes in use (the rear wiper also helps to wipe away the dirt on the rear windscreen). are you sure that after market rear wipers cannot be fitted?

@ guys - i guess the rear window demister (defogger) also helps in this case

do you face the problem at night or day time? while driving in rains it is actually difficult to see - but you can try and use the 3 speed ?? wiper function and front fog lamps (if equipped). actually its better to switch on the HLs (& / fog lamps) when its raining hard and drive at a slower speed than usual. if visibilty is poor - park your car on the left hard shoulder and switch on the hazard lights and wait till it stops raining / you can be sure that you will be able to make it.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 29th August 2007 at 18:01.
Old 29th August 2007, 19:00   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Please try with the A/C in fresh air mode. This works for me in the rain.
Old 29th August 2007, 19:55   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

rear defogger works like a charm for me For cars that are not equipped with it, you can try the fresh air mode of AC or rely mostly on your right hand side rearview mirror.
Old 30th August 2007, 07:47   #104
Senior - BHPian

I use A/C along with a warm temperature setting, it works fine. However, I stick to recirculation mode, because usually want to avoid "fresh" air as it actually turns out to be polluted-air mode
Old 30th August 2007, 08:21   #105
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Surf, if it comes in contact with your paint can cause streaks and damage the paint. use hair shampoo. I have been using sunsilk, (no connection with the company) and getting a clean results.
A harsh detergent like Surf or Ariel would eat away the wax-polish is still on the car. And exposed paint would oxidize and dull faster.

I use a half-cup of Pril dishwashing detergent in the windshield washer reservoir each of my cars. Works like a charm cutting the road-film, without hardening the wiper rubber. In fact, we use a half cup of Pril per bucketful of water used to wash each car. The cars sparkle without losing too much waxed lustre.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks