Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2007, 12:56   #121
Senior - BHPian

This indeed is weird. Defogger is generally independant. Maybe Maruti while designing SX4 thought that rear windscreens fog only after dusk..!!

Defogger can be used dry out water drops but for that it needs to be switched on for long..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
BTW, I noticed in my SX4 that rear defogger can be switched on only when headlight switch is on - weird or am I missing something?

Also, can rear defogger be used to dry out water drops after rain stopped?
Old 31st August 2007, 13:03   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista2Swift View Post
The a/c works when the glass is fogged from inside. If its not working or increasing the fogging then switch off the AC and use the heater for the glass, it works .
Unless the system in your car is designed to prohibit it, you should use both A/C and heater simultaneously.

Quote:
For the rear glass however there is no option but to install a after-market defogger/wiper.
defogger is fine, but wiper is an option only for hatchbacks. I have never seen or heard of sedans with rear wipers! Wish there was such a trend, though
Old 31st August 2007, 13:32   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Unless the system in your car is designed to prohibit it, you should use both A/C and heater simultaneously.
I've never heard of using or tried both - What happens ? Santosh can you pls elaborate..
Old 31st August 2007, 13:42   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
You get after market defogger that can be installed by any accessories guy. This shall prevent the blurring of the rear windscreen when switched on.
Hi gd1418,

My Bolero has a/c with no heater. Can i still fix a defogger?
Which make of defogger did you use?
How much does it cost?

Thanks in advance,

-- Torqy
Old 31st August 2007, 14:39   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

...me too! And that was in UK where the specs are more generous anyway.

I think it is something to do with the slope of the glass, that they found they needed to put rear wiper for the more vertical hatchback window.

Or maybe there is too much curve in a saloon (English for sedan, I think?) car glass?

I don't know.

But it would be so useful on any car...

Even more useful would be some entirely new technology, like a curtain of compressed air blowing the rain away!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 31st August 2007 at 14:41.
Old 31st August 2007, 15:04   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista2Swift View Post
I've never heard of using or tried both - What happens ? Santosh can you pls elaborate..
Post #115 & #116 answer that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Hi gd1418,

My Bolero has a/c with no heater. Can i still fix a defogger?
defogger is just a set of electrical heating elements (wires) attached to the windscreen. It has no relation to A/C or it's heater (the one used to warm up the whole cabin).

Last edited by santosh.s : 31st August 2007 at 15:05.
Old 31st August 2007, 16:45   #127
BHPian

Quote:
defogger is fine, but wiper is an option only for hatchbacks. I have never seen or heard of sedans with rear wipers! Wish there was such a trend, though
I did enquire why sedans normally don't have rear wiper but hatchbacks have.

Dealer said that hatchback's rear door (for boot) is single component with rear glass fit in it and boot is inside (not extending), so it is easy to fix wiper.

However in sedans, rear glass and door (boot) are separate entities and it is difficult to fix wiper.

However u'll rarely see sedan with rear wiper. They somehow designed to fit holder of wiper on roof or so.
Old 31st August 2007, 17:08   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Dealer said that hatchback's rear door (for boot) is single component with rear glass fit in it and boot is inside (not extending), so it is easy to fix wiper.

However in sedans, rear glass and door (boot) are separate entities and it is difficult to fix wiper.
These showroom guys can be real funny... this is not the reason. Afaik, it is some to do with hatch back desing which necessitates a rear wiper and sedan dont need them. May be the muck from rear tyre thrown on to the rear wind shield?!?! I dont know the exact reason...
Old 31st August 2007, 17:09   #129
Senior - BHPian

IMO - i dont think that it has got much to do with ease of fitting the rear wiper - the hatch backs / octi / viva's (what is the body type called??) rear windshield accumulates more rain water / dirt than normal sedans (read it somewhere in this forum) and that is the reason they are (should have been) provided with rear wiper / washer.

edit : oops! just saw gkrishn's post

Last edited by planet_rocker : 31st August 2007 at 17:10.
Old 31st August 2007, 17:23   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Ithe hatch backs / octi / viva's (what is the body type called??)
notch-backs.......................................(the message was too short!)
Old 31st August 2007, 17:28   #131
Senior - BHPian

too many dots attract a lot of attention. simply write it as (20 characters )

thanks Santosh - now i remember
Old 31st August 2007, 17:58   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
These showroom guys can be real funny...
Yeah, showroom guys are more of salesmen. They might have been selling mobile connections or insurance policies during their previous employment. I think they can answer only frequently asked questions by majority of their customers. If they don't know the answer, they are very likely to just bluff or redirect to another useless person!

For such queries forums like this one are the best bet, or if you know any person experienced in concerned industry. Even technicians in a road-side garage might be quite knowledgeable (for all practical purposes, I meant)

Quote:
this is not the reason. Afaik, it is some to do with hatch back desing which necessitates a rear wiper and sedan dont need them. May be the muck from rear tyre thrown on to the rear wind shield?!?! I dont know the exact reason...
Regardless of that, we have realized at least one other reason to have a rear wiper on all cars- visibility in rains, right?
Old 31st August 2007, 18:06   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Regardless of that, we have realized at least one other reason to have a rear wiper on all cars- visibility in rains, right?
Yes, under heavy rains, using them has increased the rear visibility drastically. But do you need that? Except may be when your on reverse gear.

Believe me, i have used it mostly to show off... hey i have a rear wiper
Old 31st August 2007, 18:28   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
But do you need that? Except may be when your on reverse gear.
I think, even during normal driving, it would definitely be good to have better rear visibility... to keep an eye on traffic behind you through inner rear-view-mirror. Side mirrors become almost useless due to rain-drops accumulating on mirror itself as well as the window glass in between.
Old 31st August 2007, 19:37   #135
BHPian

Quote:
I think, even during normal driving, it would definitely be good to have better rear visibility... to keep an eye on traffic behind you through inner rear-view-mirror. Side mirrors become almost useless due to rain-drops accumulating on mirror itself as well as the window glass in between.
I agree completely, I badly needed rear wiper whenever it rains especially in nights. If it is there, it helps to check traffic in rear before changing lane or making turns.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed