Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2007, 10:32   #1
BHPian

Engine Oil Query For Palio GTX

Hello all,
Major confusion which requires expert advice for fellow BHpians.
My second car is a palio GTX mostly driven by my wife. Man ... and does she love it!!
The engine oil change recommendation is 6 months or 7500 km.
However .. this car does not clock this mileage in 6 months.
My query is that ... should I be changing engine oil regardless of the kms run after the 6 months are up?
The service guy says that I can go up to 9 - 10 months as the running is low and the oil still has that golden honey colour like new oil.
However .. I am not so sure. I have read somewhere that regardless of usage... oil tends to lose it's lubricating properties over time.
I have unfortunately no science to give me direction in this matter.
Is there some rule of thumb to follow in such a situation.
I do not want to scrimp as I feel this is a false frugality to save some money if it is going to impact the life and performance of this dream engine.
Thanks in advance.
Old 1st February 2007, 10:56   #2
Team-BHP Support

if 6 months is the recomended time period then i guess its best to stick with that.
Old 1st February 2007, 10:59   #3
BHPian

i guess its better to stick to changing the oil every 6 months as recommended.though if usage is very limited,it wont harm if you change a few months later-like what your mechanic recommended.
Old 1st February 2007, 11:11   #4
BHPian

What API grade oil are you using? SF,SG,SH,SJ,SL or SM. If you are using a SL or higher, you can safely go upto one year. If you are changing the oil at the A.S.S., then they would use an oil which requires change after six months. If so, change the oil and oil filter every six months. If you are indeed using superior oil, change the oil every year and the filter every six months but only if the car is not under warranty. If the car is still under warranty, go strictly by the service manual (so as not to give any reason for voiding the warranty).
Old 1st February 2007, 23:20   #5
BHPian

Hello Floyd,
I am currently changing oil at the A.S.S. Strange thing is this dude works at the A.S.S. who advised me the same.
Am totally clueless about the API grade oil. Could you help and clarify what these abbreviations mean? Any recommendations regarding my next oil would be welcome.
He was recommending Magnatec.
Regards.
Old 2nd February 2007, 03:06   #6
BHPian

I changed the engine oil on my Palio 1.2 at 2000kms. The dealer suggested to stick with the specified intervals, but I insisted. I was restless thinking of all those minute metal particles floating around after the break in period. Added a can of Nulon & it does make a huge difference. I've take then car out to Kolhapur & Mumbai after that & it feels like "MAAKHAN". I've clocked 4k+ now & will be sonn flushing the engine & switching to MOBIL1.
Old 2nd February 2007, 10:30   #7
BHPian

Hi Dark Knight....Have a look at a can of Castrol Magnatec. The API grade will be specified somewhere on it. I think it is SL grade and so is Shell Helix. As far as my info goes, most OEM oils are lower than SL grade. If Castrol Magnatec is indeed a SL grade oil then you can safely go upto 1 yr without changing the oil. But you should change the oil filter every six months. And keep some extra oil with you which will be required for the filter and for topping up.
Old 2nd February 2007, 10:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
I changed the engine oil on my Palio 1.2 at 2000kms. Added a can of Nulon & it does make a huge difference. I've take then car out to Kolhapur & Mumbai after that & it feels like "MAAKHAN". I've clocked 4k+ now & will be sonn flushing the engine & switching to MOBIL1.
You put Nulon in a new engine? That's new. I do remember reading somewhere that lubricant additives are not a good idea on new cars.
Also check out the oil advice thread, where experts recommend a fully synthetic oil in later stages like 15000 kms.

I remember experimenting with Nulon many years ago and I also know it saved a friends ambassador from seizing. We had had a minor accident and unknown to us, all the oil leaked out of the chamber. We drove 100Kms with no oil, only Nulon.

2 things - I know for a fact that Nulon tends to coat the engine parts and does not drain out completely when you drain out the oil. How will it react with the fully synthetic Mobil1 you intend to put?

Secondly, with your synthetic oil, should you feel the need to add lubricant additives, I feel you would be better off with a more reliable additive like liqui moly.

@ Floyd, - Castrol magnatec is a semi synthetic low cost Oil, not comparable to shell Helix.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 2nd February 2007 at 10:38.
Old 2nd February 2007, 11:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
will be sonn flushing the engine & switching to MOBIL1.
Will that affect warranty ?

Can authorised service centres make out if one does the switch to Mobil1 at some 'competent independent garage' ? Also, is there any major risk in having a non-authorised service centre change engine oil, given that you've bought the oil for them ?
Old 2nd February 2007, 11:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
@ Floyd, - Castrol magnatec is a semi synthetic low cost Oil, not comparable to shell Helix.
Sam...Hi!...Helix is the brand name of Shell petrol engine oils and consists of Shell Helix, Shell Helix Super and Shell Helix Ultra. Ultra is fully synthetic while Super is semi-synth and was the one I was referring to and which falls in the same category as Castrol Magnatec.
Old 2nd February 2007, 11:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

Can authorised service centres make out if one does the switch to Mobil1 at some 'competent independent garage' ? Also, is there any major risk in having a non-authorised service centre change engine oil, given that you've bought the oil for them ?
So long as you are using a superior oil in your engine, no service guy will have the guts to suggest voiding the warranty. In fact, I switched to Mobil1 in my Palio S10 at the second service without a problem. Its another matter that I switched back to the standard oil as I did'nt find any huge benefit that justified the huge difference in cost with the mileage I was doing.
Old 2nd February 2007, 13:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

Can any of the Palio users tell me whether VS Max oil is available at Fiat dealerships? The recommended oil brand for the Palio is VS Max and I am having a hard time trying to find myself a can of 4 liters. The dealerships in Pune use Mak! The other dealership uses something made by Pennzoil.
I will be switching to synthetic very soon but I want to use mineral oil for atleast 12000 kms. The car has currently done around 8k kms and is due for first service.

For your reference, VS Max is made by FL Selenia and the right product can be found here

EDIT: All the fluids that are recommended in the Palio manual are mentioned in this link, ever wondered what Paraflu was (written on the coolant can cap)? See this link

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd February 2007 at 13:50.
Old 7th February 2007, 18:55   #13
BHPian

[quote=Sam Kapasi;366517]You put Nulon in a new engine? That's new. I do remember reading somewhere that lubricant additives are not a good idea on new cars. (I've always added Nulon to my vehicles, new or old. It does ONLY good, no negative effects, so am at peace)

Also check out the oil advice thread, where experts recommend a fully synthetic oil in later stages like 15000 kms. (Again, adding synthetic oil at an earlier stage will not do any harm, only GOOD)

I remember experimenting with Nulon many years ago and I also know it saved a friends ambassador from seizing. We had had a minor accident and unknown to us, all the oil leaked out of the chamber. We drove 100Kms with no oil, only Nulon.

2 things - I know for a fact that Nulon tends to coat the engine parts and does not drain out completely when you drain out the oil. How will it react with the fully synthetic Mobil1 you intend to put? (I will not use Nulon once I have synthetic oil in the engine, since synthetic oil is already pre-formulated to give the best lubrication)

Secondly, with your synthetic oil, should you feel the need to add lubricant additives, I feel you would be better off with a more reliable additive like liqui moly. (You are correct, there is no need to add additives once you have synthetic oil, it's already formulated to take the best care of your car's engine)
Old 7th February 2007, 19:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

Nope, it's no issue at all. Remember, an authorised service station will not penalise you in anyway for changing oilm & overall oil will do only good to your engine. there are no negative effects....unless you wanna pinch your pocket real hard & put in some cheappppp oil, which I am sure no one will to their precious cars.

Most Viewed