Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 06:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

I have a friend who reported paint peel off on the hatch area of his i20, he sold it and has now picked up SCROSS. So it's not unusual. Auto plants are wonderful places, and its so vast the eye cannot take in everything. My personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If it was a batch of cars, I'm guessing we'd have seen a few more examples on social media
Old 20th June 2019, 09:03   #32
BHPian

re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

Like almost everyone said the service guy doesn't have any clue.

In my opinion it could be either one of these situations.

1. The customer got the bonnet and tailgate painted after he bought the car - which original poster said "he is not aware"
2. The dealer damaged the car before delivery and painted themselves.
4. In factory, during production bodyshells will get damaged while handling (like conveyor fault in paint/assembly shop). In this case they will get new part from another vehicle or process parts specially for this. So the defect came from those donor parts.

Anyway now it will reach soon at Hyundai's office let us see how it goes.
Old 20th June 2019, 09:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Look at the bonnet and hatch fitting bolts. If they seem to have been tightened after painting, then the hatch and the bonnet have been replaced.
many times cars are damaged in transit. The manufacturers send the entire damaged panels in un-painted state to the dealers, and entire panels are painted as per need, and replaced.

Rahul
Old 20th June 2019, 11:35   #34
BHPian

Update!

Thanks everyone for you kind inputs! Car was taken to the service center and it was a pleasant surprise to my friend when the senior service engineer agreed to get the car painted (bonnet and the tailgate) free of cost! but with a rider!

'Please remove the post from Team-BHP'!!

My friend was stunned as he never mentioned anything about going online let alone mention Team-BHP anywhere! Looks like someone from Hyundai did notice this thread and sent a message across to dealerships to take a note of this vehicle and the issue! Must say I am equally stunned and happy a resolution was reached so soon!

Must say manufacturers are coming off age! Online forums are being looked into and if this is indeed true (of Hyundai reading the post and directing the dealership to take necessary action), I must appreciate Hyundai for its stance and showing its commitment towards its customers!

However, will still wait to see what is the final outcome. Again, heartfelt gratitude to eachone of you here for all your comments and support!!

Last edited by vinair : 20th June 2019 at 11:36.
vinair is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 13:46   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Update!

Thanks everyone for you kind inputs! Car was taken to the service center and it was a pleasant surprise to my friend when the senior service engineer agreed to get the car painted (bonnet and the tailgate) free of cost! but with a rider!

My friend was stunned as he never mentioned anything about going online let alone mention Team-BHP anywhere! Looks like someone from Hyundai did notice this thread and sent a message across to dealerships to take a note of this vehicle and the issue! Must say I am equally stunned and happy a resolution was reached so soon!

Must say manufacturers are coming off age! Online forums are being looked into and if this is indeed true (of Hyundai reading the post and directing the dealership to take necessary action), I must appreciate Hyundai for its stance and showing its commitment towards its customers!

However, will still wait to see what is the final outcome. Again, heartfelt gratitude to eachone of you here for all your comments and support!!
This is the power of communication! I'm glad that we are using digital media for educating, spreading awareness and finding solutions. Special thanks to the Team-Bhp team for creating and maintaining such an amazing forum!
Old 20th June 2019, 14:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Update!
Good that you are close to the resolving the issue, also to know that they are following the forums and keeping a tab on various issues.

What did they say was the reason for the issue?
I hope this quick resolution is not to cover up something bigger.

Last edited by SideView : 20th June 2019 at 14:27.
Old 20th June 2019, 14:17   #37
BHPian

Good to see Hyundai (and dealership) has taken a step to fix it.

If this is not a paint issue of car then my concern is water being used for washing it. I suspect air quality too for such thing to happen.

It would be wise to know if neighbors are facing similar issues with their cars.
Do keep us posted.
Old 21st June 2019, 03:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Anyway now it will reach soon at Hyundai's office let us see how it goes.
Cool. I didn't foresee Hyundai will notice this thread and act on this quick.

Hope the issue will get resolved with complete customer satisfaction..

Why are they asking to remove the thread from Team BHP? In my opinion it should be kept as a closed thread.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 09:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update!

This gives me some hope. I have purchased an i20 CVT recently and the FE has been pathetic (@6 kmpl in the city) I have complained and the service folks have asked me to get the car checked. But I don't think they will be able to do anything. If that fails, I want to start a thread highlighting the problem so that potential buyers are carful while buying i20 CVT model. Sorry for the OT.
Old 21st June 2019, 09:10   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This gives me some hope. I have purchased an i20 CVT recently and the FE has been pathetic (@6 kmpl in the city) I have complained and the service folks have asked me to get the car checked. But I don't think they will be able to do anything. If that fails, I want to start a thread highlighting the problem so that potential buyers are carful while buying i20 CVT model. Sorry for the OT.
The new i20 CVT is known for its poor FE. My brother also has one and he is also getting 7-8 kmpl in moderate traffic. There is nothing the dealership can do about it . i20 CVT is a bad product decision by Hyundai.Period

Sorry for the rant.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 20:26   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Similar case of peeling noticed on another i20:

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img20190626wa0023.jpg

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img20190626wa0025.jpg

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img20190626wa0024.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 20:35   #42
Team-BHP Support

Call it a coincidence, but last weekend when I was at Ahmedabad, I noticed another white i20 with the paint peeled off below the rear windshield!

Sorry no snaps as I just got into a cab and the car owner drove off.

I hope this wasn't some bad batch?
Gannu_1 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:13   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Call it a coincidence, but last weekend when I was at Ahmedabad, I noticed another white i20 with the paint peeled off below the rear windshield!

Sorry no snaps as I just got into a cab and the car owner drove off.

I hope this wasn't some bad batch?
After your post, this doesn't look like a one off case. It cannot be a bad batch, because the DL registered car is a July 2015 model, while BHPian vinair who has started this thread, states that his i20 is a 3 year old example, which means 2016 Model. Also since all of the failures spotted till now are on White cars, I'm guessing there is something wrong with the process at Hyundai. Hope this is limited only to the i20 and not other Hyundais(since they share possibly the same booth).

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 26th June 2019 at 21:15.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:33   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
After your post, this doesn't look like a one off case. It cannot be a bad batch, because the DL registered car is a July 2015 model, while BHPian vinair who has started this thread, states that his i20 is a 3 year old example, which means 2016 Model. Also since all of the failures spotted till now are on White cars, I'm guessing there is something wrong with the process at Hyundai. Hope this is limited only to the i20 and not other Hyundais(since they share possibly the same booth).

Regards,
Shashi
No pictures but I noticed a white creta with the same problem ( flaking from rear windshield line) near Gurgaon yesterday. I think you are right about the paint process fault.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 14:21   #45
BHPian

As BHPian Leoshashi stated, this doesn't appear to be one-off case, and all of the cars reported are of white colour only. I too, spotted another White Creta at Chattarpur Red Light today, with paint peeled off at the point between the rear hatch and windshield. Attaching pic below. Sad to see this, being an i20 owner myself (2016 make), I haven't experienced this and don't even want to experience this. I hope your case gets resolved on ASAP basis.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img_3649.jpg  

Utsav3010 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed