Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2019, 15:06   #46
BHPian

re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

All the pictures on this thread are for white Hyundai cars. I see both the i20 and Creta here, both essentially the similar platform, means both will have the same white paint. I believe its a defect in the paint quality.
Old 19th July 2019, 12:24   #47
BHPian

re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

Spotted this white. Creta at Lucknow today. I think there needs to be a recall.

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img_20190719_120435__02.jpg
vipul_singh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 12:31   #48
BHPian

Seems to be appearing near metal bends or close to the region where glass meets metal. Some spill over of glass adhesive/primer? Or maybe just thin layer of paint at edge/bend? Cracking at extreme edge and then progressing outwards towards flat area? Definitely process issues and should be addressed FOC at dealership workshop! Could also be water accumulating in the gap formed in metal/glass junction. Sporadic rain water is often acidic! Or could be excessive washing with hard water: In any case, it is poor paintwork!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 19th July 2019 at 12:33.
Old 30th August 2019, 20:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Another one, seems to be a widespread issue:

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img20190830wa0056.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 20:59   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

This could be from a particular batch of vehicles, as I have not seen this kind of issue on the white Creta and i20s (old i20, facelift and Elite) I have seen.

Hope this is fixed by Hyundai as this needs a thorough rework to prep the metal before the final coats of painting is done.
Old 31st August 2019, 14:37   #51
BHPian

OMG. Just Add my White Creta to the list. I noticed this last evening on my Creta. The area where the paint has started peeling off is just below the rear windshield like the others. Seeing the post on the front page of Team-BHP I now know what issue this will progress into in some time.

Will write to Hyundai next week and wait for their response.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img1246.jpg  

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img1247.jpg  

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img1248.jpg  

mikem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 16:19   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
OMG. Just Add my White Creta to the list. I noticed this last evening on my Creta. The area where the paint has started peeling off is just below the rear windshield like the others. Seeing the post on the front page of Team-BHP I now know what issue this will progress into in some time.

Will write to Hyundai next week and wait for their response.
Could you please share the manufacturing date and year of your car, so that the Creta owners here can also diligently check this issue on their cars.
Old 31st August 2019, 16:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Its not just the Creta or the i20.

The paint on my Sonata peeled from the edge of the trunk near the rear windshield. Got the whole trunk painted eventually.

It also has these random dark blemishes at one or two places. Not readily visible but on closer inspection quite apparent. My local painter says its the quality of the paint.

Last edited by bigron : 31st August 2019 at 16:21.
Old 31st August 2019, 16:43   #54
BHPian

Says a lot about Hyundai's quality.

Hyundai knows all Reviews cover only visible aspects of the car and not what goes within. They make the former glossy and cut costs everywhere else. Like, Hyundai uses only 2 coats of paint where ideally 5 coats are required. No reviewer can dig into those details which are aplenty. All boils down to ethics and pedigree, the reasons why Chinese goods were looked down till some time back.

Looks like while the Chinese are improving, the Koreans are taking their earlier place.

I was told about this paint coat rigging by Hyundai by a Senior BHPian almost a decade back in one of the team bhp meets. Looks like the Koreans have steadily progressed to a point where their cars are becoming naked.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 31st August 2019 at 16:47.
CliffHanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 21:28   #55
BHPian

Oh God this is a serious issue. I had seen this on some locally painted old cars but on new cars with factory paint? If this is not just a one off issue, people will seriously think twice before buying Hyundai. Other Hyundai owners can confirm if they are having the same problem, specially those with 2-3 years old cars.

O.T. Is it just Hyundai cars or other brands having or have had the same issue. Owners, if any, who have suffered such please share.
Old 1st September 2019, 10:53   #56
BHPian

Received these pics from whatsapp group.

Creta again

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img20190901wa0003.jpg

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img20190901wa0002.jpg

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img20190901wa0001.jpg

Verna paint peeling off from bumper (near the bottom end)
Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img20190901wa0004.jpg
nishp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 14:16   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishp View Post
Received these pics from whatsapp group.

Creta again

Verna paint peeling off from bumper (near the bottom end)
And we were saying ‘Hyundai is the new Honda’. It’s does not look like a batch issue. Is there any update on this from Hyundai??
Old 2nd September 2019, 21:50   #58
BHPian

Here is my guess - did the Hyundai factory receive a bad batch of paint from the paint supplier? What if a batch of white paint received at the factory was out of specification?

Hyundai should come forward and acknowledge the problem. Issue a recall on all affected cars and re-spray them for free with proper paint and offer something like 2 years warranty on the new paint job.

Remaining silent and not acknowledging the issue will seriously harm customer confidence on the brand.

Regards
Games Goblin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 22:19   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Here is my guess - did the Hyundai factory receive a bad batch of paint from the paint supplier? What if a batch of white paint received at the factory was out of specification?

Hyundai should come forward and acknowledge the problem. Issue a recall on all affected cars and re-spray them for free with proper paint and offer something like 2 years warranty on the new paint job.

Remaining silent and not acknowledging the issue will seriously harm customer confidence on the brand.

Regards
From whatever little I know about automotive paints, the manufacturers get different tints and shades(described by codes and numbers) and even for a simple colour like white, many ingredients are mixed within their plant. They don't receive paints pre mixed.

If one of those ingredients were bad, chances are that more than one colours will be affected since the ingredients of white are part of almost all light colour shades.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 23:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Even if it was a case of bad quality of paint from a vendor, why just the tailgate? I definitely think it has something to do with the painting process or the sealant or primer application process at the factory.
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed