Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 17:56   #76
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

Thanks to Gopi for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
I'm a regular visitor and want to contribute one more image of paint peeling off on a Hyundai Creta in Hyderabad. This is a 2017 Hyundai Creta, just a 2 year old car. I request you to post this image so we can get a proper solution, or at least know whom to approach regarding the said issue.
Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img_20190913_135105.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 19:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

All these owners, have any of them approached Hyundai? What's the company saying about so many issues?

This seems like a raw material / paint quality issue because only white cars seem to be impacted.

If the painting process had a problem, wouldn't there be other cars with other colours with the same issue?
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 20:41   #78
anb
BHPian

Re: Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected

My cousin's 8 year old blue i20 has paint peeling off issues. Paint is peeling off from the top portion of front bumper and below rear glass.

Last edited by anb : 17th September 2019 at 20:52.
Old 17th September 2019, 20:51   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Gopi for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Attachment 1915727
I also saw a Creta with paint peeling off just like this
Old 28th September 2019, 17:32   #80
BHPian

Adding one more white Creta to the list!
Spotted in Chennai.

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-20190928_1449201.jpg
Nimalan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 09:20   #81
BHPian

I have a question. What about the other colours? Is this a problem only associated with white Hyundai cars?
Old 27th October 2019, 12:03   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I have a question. What about the other colours? Is this a problem only associated with white Hyundai cars?
Check this out, an old thread on Team-BHP where paint is peeling off from a blue Hyundai i10:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...eling-off.html (The paint of my car is peeling off!)
Old 3rd June 2020, 20:43   #83
BHPian

Hello guys, any update on the solution for this issue from Hyundai? I am too facing a similar issue albeit on the bonnet of my 2015 Creta. The issue seems minor for now, but there is definitely a peel-off issue.
Got this issue checked with the Hyundai SS today. They have clicked a few pics and said that they'll be taking it up with their claim's department. Awaiting their feedback now. However, he categorically asked me about the peel-off on the tailgate(as seen in many Cretas in this forum).
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 21:10   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Hello guys, any update on the solution for this issue from Hyundai? I am too facing a similar issue albeit on the bonnet of my 2015 Creta. The issue seems minor for now, but there is definitely a peel-off issue.
Got this issue checked with the Hyundai SS today. They have clicked a few pics and said that they'll be taking it up with their claim's department. Awaiting their feedback now. However, he categorically asked me about the peel-off on the tailgate(as seen in many Cretas in this forum).
This is due to improper baking it peels off. When getting it fixed, please be sure that they go the full length to fix it than sanding and repainting it. Surface preparation is key else the problem will repeat again in a few months/year.
Old 4th June 2020, 22:44   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
This is due to improper baking it peels off. When getting it fixed, please be sure that they go the full length to fix it than sanding and repainting it. Surface preparation is key else the problem will repeat again in a few months/year.
I really doubt the kinda process followed in the paint shop of a manufacturing facility will be available at the local Hyundai Service Station. However, I am awaiting their reply on the complaint. Will check on this once I hear from them.
Old 4th June 2020, 23:14   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I really doubt the kinda process followed in the paint shop of a manufacturing facility will be available at the local Hyundai Service Station. However, I am awaiting their reply on the complaint. Will check on this once I hear from them.
Of course the ED coat cannot be done the way it is done at the factory. But aftermarket repair methods too have processes which can ensure a durable finish and that needs to be followed by the Bodyshop doing the repair work. Easier way would be sand it and repaint it, but won't be durable by any means. The reason the dealership is seeking approval is because they know what the root cause is, but will try to get away with an easy way out.

Do update with what the dealership has to say about why the peel off happened, if at all they disclose.
Old 4th June 2020, 23:23   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Do update with what the dealership has to say about why the peel off happened, if at all they disclose.
Well, it’s a pretty much know issue to Hyundai going by the way the service technician categorically asked me about the peel-off on the boot! Also, he didn’t go much much into the details. Just got his camera, took 2-3 pics & said he will put it through the claims. Will take about a week or so he said.
Nevertheless, I shall post the updates once I have something.
Thanku!
Old 4th June 2020, 23:24   #88
Team-BHP Support

We're into the 6th page with plenty of examples from different white cars across the country. I'm surprised Hyundai hasn't addressed this issue!
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 23:33   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
We're into the 6th page with plenty of examples from different white cars across the country. I'm surprised Hyundai hasn't addressed this issue!
They would have fixed the root cause at the plant level. This is something to do with increasing the production capacity

They would not be too bothered about the ones already on the road. They would repaint it free of cost and the customer is happy.

One such peel off example I came across.

Paint peeling off on a 3-year old Hyundai i20 Active. EDIT: Many more Hyundais affected-img20200604wa0035.jpg
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 03:17   #90
BHPian

Quote:
This is due to improper baking it peels off.
That could be a possible reason. But it looks like the adhesion of the top coat and ED coat is not proper. So it would be due to some contamination on the body after ED coating was done. Anyway it is very hard to conclude.

Quote:
I really doubt the kinda process followed in the paint shop of a manufacturing facility will be available at the local Hyundai Service Station.
In my opinion you can ask them to fit all new bonnet instead of repainting. Normally factory will send ED coated parts to dealers and dealers will get it painted as per the requirement. Worth checking out this option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks