Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2007, 22:43   #1

Old Honda City 1.5 Engine vibrations

Hello Team,

I own a 1.5EXI, Bangalore, done about 38K and is three years old (the last of the lot). Off late, I can feel engine vibrations at 2500-2700 RPM. At this RPM, I can feel a solid "buzz" pass through the gear lever and through the seats. The buzz is more evident when the revs drop. The engine otherwise is smooth in all the other rev ranges. Checked with Whitefield Honda and they replaced one of the engine mounts the first time around.

The problem did not go away and now Whitefield insists that this is a common problem and all 1.5s have a "buzz" at this RPM range.

Any BHPians faced this problem before? Whitefield Honda clearly lacks the expertise to diagnose the problem properly. Most of the supervisors are pretty poor quality.

Help will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Amar
Old 3rd February 2007, 23:19   #2
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Whitfield Honda is BS'ing. I have a '02 city with 40k on the clock and no buzzing whatsoever.
Old 3rd February 2007, 23:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would agree. Simply because since they replaced a mounting so that indicates that there is a problem. My car has had the same problem due to the incompetence of the Honda nincompoos & has had the mountings replaced twice.

I can tell you that across the rev-range there is no solid buzz in any of the OHC's 1.3/1.5 or VTEC's so basically Whitefield doesn't know what orifice they are talking from.

I suggest telling them to demonstrate the same problem in 2-3 other cars similar to your if this is a regular problem.

P.S. Me & my close friends own about 6 OHC's! Is by any chance your car a crashed one?
Old 4th February 2007, 01:02   #4
BHPian

I have this "buzz" in my 1.5 VTEC below 1000rpm. Much more pronounced at idle with AC on.
Whitefield narrowed it down to deformed front member (where the front engine mount sits). They said it would take around 2 weeks and 40K INR to fix the alignment and that it wasn't worth it.
In your case I doubt if it's not engine/tranny mounts then it's some mal-alignment of the body.
Old 4th February 2007, 01:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I would agree. Simply because since they replaced a mounting so that indicates that there is a problem. My car has had the same problem due to the incompetence of the Honda nincompoos & has had the mountings replaced twice.
What happened then? You still have it? What was your cure?
Old 4th February 2007, 04:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401 View Post
What happened then? You still have it? What was your cure?
Went to my garage (non-Honda) he aligned everything & replaced the mountings for roughly 5-7k & she's been running fine ever since.

Last edited by iraghava : 4th February 2007 at 04:22.
Old 4th February 2007, 04:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well if it's mostly at idle, then it's a chassis member of some sort. Same thing on my car.
Old 4th February 2007, 11:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

i might be wrong....but how do u conclude the buzz is from engine only ? could it be some fault in the exhaust ? (which can also create similar vibrations right )
Old 4th February 2007, 11:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Well if it's mostly at idle, then it's a chassis member of some sort. Same thing on my car.
So does it still vibrates? Have you got used to live with it or planning something to fix it?
Old 4th February 2007, 11:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
i might be wrong....but how do u conclude the buzz is from engine only ? could it be some fault in the exhaust ? (which can also create similar vibrations right )
A Santro hit my exhaust finisher once. And the pipe would then touch the body if I pass over slight roughness. It was pretty easy to figure out as it was a loud metallic thud.

Since the whole exhaust is held by very loose rubber mounts it shouldn't pass the vibration to the body. But it shouldn't be tough to confirm if that is the case.

In my case it's the engine vib.

Last edited by Pankaj401 : 4th February 2007 at 11:58.
Old 4th February 2007, 12:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Went to my garage (non-Honda) he aligned everything & replaced the mountings for roughly 5-7k & she's been running fine ever since.
It appears for the posts that the problem is most likely to do with mountings rather than the engine / tranny itself. The car has not suffered from any accidents whatsover till date.

iraghava - can you tell me who your mechanic is? i might have more success there. i am having sleepless nights that something might be wrong with the engine. Any more visits to Whitefield Honda is futile. Wonder how the Dakshin Honda is?

Thanks for all the help.

BTW - the car is inza red, running on R14 195/60 potenza G3s and a K&N filter and in superb nick. I recently moved from mumbai to bangalore, (drove it back solo, overnight, no breaks, 14 hours, two redbulls )

Cheers..Amar
Old 4th February 2007, 17:59   #12
BHPian

Dakshin is as good as Whiefield. I have seen both.
Old 4th February 2007, 19:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsubash View Post
iraghava - can you tell me who your mechanic is? i might have more success there. i am having sleepless nights that something might be wrong with the engine. Any more visits to Whitefield Honda is futile. Wonder how the Dakshin Honda is?
Amar - I would love to help but if you look at my location i'm in Delhi!! So not much use unless you plan to do another long-distance drive

I would recommend you get in touch with Ford Rocam, Elf or Dippy in Mumbai. PM them & they would be able to guide you to a good garage. I think FR has a good garage that can sort out your problem, not to mention the man himself has a ton of knowledge about the OHC considering he owns one!
Old 4th February 2007, 20:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Living with it for now.
Old 4th February 2007, 21:31   #15
BHPian

hey guys, there is a constant thud sound coming from my car ohc 1.5 over the bad roads...the service people told its the stearing rack...its costs around 10k...is there any other solution for time being...

Most Viewed