Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2019, 13:32   #1

Santa Fe - Engine warning light remains on & Hyundai service center is clueless

Hi,
Need help to resolve the problem with my Santa Fe car. Tried with authorised service and with HYUNDAI without luck.

I need your assistance to sort out this problem as HYUNDAI is not able to sort out the problem and they want me to go in for an expensive overhaul of the engine without any assurances or reasons for coming to this conclusion.

I have been extremely happy with my Santa Fe car so far and it has given excellent service till now.

Can anyone suggest a solution or a garage in Mumbai who can handle this?

Sequence of events
• Santa Fe, purchased in December 2012
• Used for 6years and 4 months, ONLY on regular highways.
• Odometer reading-approx 123000 Km
• Always serviced and maintained by authorised HYUNDAI dealers at specified intervals as per the maintenance manual.
• In December 2018, while the car was running, the engine cut OFF and the engine warning sign came ON. This happened twice in quick succession.
• After this incident the engine cranking time is about 6 seconds before it starts
• The ENGINE warning light ALWAYS remains ON.
• The cranking continues even if the foot is taken off the brake pedal.
• The car was sent to the authorised HYUNDAI, Mumbai for attending to the problem.
• Initially it was informed the crank position sensor has failed, it was replaced but the problem persisted.
• Then the service agency tried many different things and the car was with them for nearly TWO MONTHS- December 2018 to January 2019.
• Many other parts were replaced on a TRIAL AND ERROR BASIS.
• Now I have been informed that they have a doubt that the engine will need to be OVERHAULED BUT they are NOT SURE if this will solve the problem
• The computer scan still reports a problem with the crank position sensor.
• HYUNDAI and their agents are using a HIT and MISS method
• Subsequently I have been using my car locally for short runs in the same condition for the last 3 months
• There is no loss of power, No overheating, OIL level is also constant and the car still runs as good as ever.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th July 2019 at 13:45. Reason: Typo
nick2909 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 17:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Santa Fe - Engine warning light remains on & Hyundai service center is clueless

^^ If you report that the car runs fine, then the problem you faced about the engine shutting off was momentary.

1. Have you tried erasing the fault codes while running an engine computer scan?

2. If yes, did the check engine light go off when erased and did it reappear immediately?

3. Have you personally checked the fault code? If yes, could you share it please?

The fault you are reporting could even be due to something as simple as a faulty relay OR an improper wiring connection.

In my view, a thorough check of the electrical system related to the fault code would point you to the culprit.

One more tip - try recollecting all incidents that happened with the car just before you experienced this fault in Dec2018.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 18:02   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Santa Fe - Engine warning light remains on & Hyundai service center is clueless

Vigsom has given some great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2909 View Post
Hi,

• The computer scan still reports a problem with the crank position sensor.
• HYUNDAI and their agents are using a HIT and MISS method
• Subsequently I have been using my car locally for short runs in the same condition for the last 3 months
• There is no loss of power, No overheating, OIL level is also constant and the car still runs as good as ever.
My two bits of armchair diagnosis

1: It sounds like a connection to the crank sensor. There might be a momentary cut in feed which triggers the light

2: Hardly likely, maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth and the cams are not operating in sync with the crankshaft. This is my pure imagination

Last edited by ajmat : 18th July 2019 at 18:15.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 18:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

My Tucson was serviced and maintained at Kothari Hyundai for all the 8 years that she was with me. The workshop manager is very competent and ethical and a good friend. If you want, you can explore this service center (may be talk to him on phone first and then see if you can drive her to Pune and have him take care of it).
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 20:36   #5

@ ajmat - thanks, the timing has been checked. Crank sensor connection was also checked but whether the signal registers with the ECU was not confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ If you report that the car runs fine, then the problem you faced about the engine shutting off was momentary.
@vigsom - Thanks

1. As per the service guys they have done it and it reappears.
2. I will try and get the fault code and share it.
3. Even I doubt the electrical system. Service claims that they have checked the wiring and it is OK.
4. The car was moving at maybe 15 KMPH in city traffic. There was no jerk, the engine just died and the engine warning light remains on thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Vigsom has given some great advice

My two bits of armchair diagnosis

1: It sounds like a connection to the crank sensor. There might be a momentary cut in feed which triggers the light

2: Hardly likely, maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth and the cams are not operating in sync with the crankshaft. This is my pure imagination
@ajmat - Thanks. The timing was checked and readjusted, nothing wrong found.

But it could not be ascertained if the signal from the sensor reaches the ECU. Just the sensor was replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
My Tucson was serviced and maintained at Kothari Hyundai for all the 8 years that she was with me. The workshop manager is very competent and ethical and a good friend. If you want, you can explore this service center (may be talk to him on phone first and then see if you can drive her to Pune and have him take care of it).
@anandpadhye - Thanks. Please share the number. After speaking maybe I will dare to take the car on a long trip

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th July 2019 at 22:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 21st July 2019, 12:44   #6
BHPian

Re: Santa Fe - Engine warning light remains on & Hyundai service center is clueless

Hyundai has a fail proof system which allows the engine to run even with a failed crank or cam position sensor.

These engines have two sensors :-
1. Camshaft position sensor (CMP)
2. Crankshaft position sensor(CKP)

The engine will start with a delayed cranking when one of the the two sensors develops a fault.
The ECU is able to calculate the position of the crank by using CMP sensor as the crank turns twice for every single turn of the cam.

Apart from the delayed cranking, 1.1 crdi and 1.4 crdi will have one more symptom and that is - AC compressor won't switch ON when one of the sensor is not working properly.

Both the sensors are needed for precise injection timing.

Overhauling the engine won't solve the issue. This is an electrical fault.
Carry out the following checks
1. Whether the exact same replacement sensor belonging to santa fe is used or not.
2. Check the wiring from sensor to the ecu.
interc00led is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 12:48   #7
BANNED

Re: Santa Fe - Engine warning light remains on & Hyundai service center is clueless

Does the warning need to be reset. Could be as simple as that. Remember in a BMW after service the warning has to be reset. Otherwise, we need the error-code to opine further.

Last edited by sgiitk : 21st July 2019 at 12:51.
Old 21st July 2019, 12:58   #8
BHPian

Well, i had a similar issue. Check the battery voltage. If it is low, replace the battery and see what happens.
Old 22nd July 2019, 23:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Hyundai has a fail proof system which allows the engine to run even with a failed crank or cam position sensor.

These engines have two sensors :-
1. Camshaft position sensor (CMP)
2. Crankshaft position sensor(CKP)

T
Overhauling the engine won't solve the issue. This is an electrical fault.
Carry out the following checks
1. Whether the exact same replacement sensor belonging to santa fe is used or not.
2. Check the wiring from sensor to the ecu.
@intercOOled
Thanks.
Will check about the CMP.
Overhauling will definitely not help and the service guys are not giving any guarantee.
The exact same sensor was replaced and as per the service guys the wiring from the CKP to ECU is OK.

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd July 2019 at 08:22. Reason: Trimming quoted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks