Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2019, 13:04   #16
BHPian

Re: Diesel engine hesitation @ 1200 - 2000 rpm in my Hyundai Creta 1.4D

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
I suggest you start with the following:
1) Get an OBD scan run on your car with live data (engine running). ODB scans can tell any issues with Injectors / fuel quantity burns in your car.
2) Clean/replace your Air Filter and clean MAF sensor. Since you had a clogged air filter earlier, its important to check/clean MAF sensor.
3) Always Fill fuel from a trustworthy/reputed pumps (it is difficult while travelling on highways, still)
4) Use some Injector Cleaners firstly, I tried with System D and STP. Refer to the Fuel Additives thread in Team BHP for more info.
5) Replace your Fuel Filter once again and see if issue is resolved/reduced. I am suggesting this again since after the last refill you started getting the issue again.
6) Possibly, clean your fuel tank and fuel lines. Even if you get your issue resolved now, push for this to be done at least during next service.
I request you to take this route as even my diesel grand i10 had the similar issue after running for about 60k kms. I had taken my car to a nearby Hyundai service centre in Mysore. The CEL light also had come on at that time. Using OBD they diagnosed it as a problem with the MAF sensor. They replaced the sensor and the problem never returned. I have driven almost 25k kms after this incident.

Hope your issue gets resolved as soon as possible.

Regards
Fazonater1911

Last edited by Aditya : 9th August 2019 at 10:26. Reason: Quoted text reduced
fazonater1911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 18:37   #17
BHPian

Could you get your ignition coils checked ? The ones which sit on top of the spark plugs. I had a similar problem my Altis, which is a petrol. But problems are similar in nature. Since the engine develops more power at higher RPMs you won't get that jerk. But a faulty ignition coil would cause power drop at low RPMs. Toyota guys checked what not, till engine head gaskets, only to find one coil not delivering. You could ask service guys to swap the coils from another car in the station temporarily and see if that helps.

In my cousin's case, where he had jerks at slightly higher RPMs too, there was leakage in one of the cylinders. But start with the coil and spark plugs to see if you are lucky.

Last edited by JBIBS : 4th August 2019 at 18:45.
JBIBS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 19:21   #18
BHPian

I would suggest not to put any type of lube in the fuel system as it will do more harm than help. Lube oil leaves residue which may cause sticking of moving parts, specially in the injectors and/or solenoid valves on the common rail.

Injectors are not an issue as, the problem is faced only between a certain rpm. Any issue related to fuel pressure, injectors or filters will be present all through the rev band specially at higher rpm as the the fuel requirement is higher at high revs.

The only issue seems to be with some measured value in the control system which causes the engine control system to provide less fuel between 1200-2000 rpm. The ECU measures a lot of parameters for deciding the right amount of fuel and the timing of fuel injection in the cylinder, any parameter deviating the set value will result in wrong quantity of fuel and deviation from the required timing at that rpm.

So a scan and inspection of parameters with engine running will help pin point the cause and further troubleshooting.

Regards.
Brumby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 19:25   #19
BHPian

I would zero in on spark plus or Injectors. My Figo D had a similar issues but i did get a CEL. So clearly the injectors had given up. In your case, the injectors might be starting to clog up likely because of bad fuel quality (or in some cases bad injectors). Try using a cleaner as you mentioned and if that improves the case well and good. But do take it to the dealer before the warranty gets over (even if its couple of years down the line) as injectors are extremely costly. In my Figo the injectors had to be paired with the ECU and i am not sure if an FNG will have the correct tool to do that.
twin_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 22:09   #20
NTO
BHPian

I would suggest you to use V power diesel from shell for a couple of tanks. I always fill 8 tanks of regular diesel from Shell and 2 tanks of V power and follow this cycle. This seems to clean up the fuel line and the performance of the car is good after a V power fill. Try this and if problem persists after two tanks, raise the issue up with Hyundai and get is diagnosed and fixed under warranty.

I had an injector failure in my 2014 Vento 1.6 TDi in 2016 and 30K kms on the odo. It was just one injector failure and cost of replacement was 23000 rupees, covered under warranty. I was scared as others can fail and if they fail outside of warranty, I might end up paying it out of my pocket. Took the issue with Volkswagen’s india and got all the 4 injectors replaced under warranty.
So, you are in the sweet spot of your car ownership and try to get this issue rectified under warranty. Outside of warranty, the expenses might not make sense to own the car anymore....
NTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 22:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Before we go any further, let us be clear that diesel engines neither have spark plugs or ignition coils. Fuel is combusted by compression and not ignition.
No offence meant to anyone either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Here is a list of things i have prepared from all the above responses and also sharing for a quick checklist for someone who might face the same situation in future
  • Using Liquimoly rapid cleaner/purge or System D
  • OBD Scan
  • Clean MAF sensor
  • Check Injector Values
  • Injector Cleaning
  • EGR
  • ECU erring
  • MAP sensor - Manifold Absolute Pressure
  • Remove the EGR coupler and drive around for a while and see if the issue you are facing happens it not.
  • Fuel Tank/Line Cleanup
I'd suggest starting with the simple ones first. Cleaning the sensors should solve the problem ideally.

Last edited by Turbohead : 4th August 2019 at 22:18.
Turbohead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 23:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All

I own a 2017 Creta 1.4 D which has roughly covered around 29000 kms. Since last 2000 kms or so i feel that the car when in third gear and around 1200-2000 rpm takes minor jerks.
The injectors have two parts. A mechanical half and an electronic portion. In India it's very common for the mechanical portion to get gummed up due to the quality of diesel available at our pumps.
Any decent fuel injector cleaner guy will be able to open & clean the injectors thoroughly on a injector cleaning automated bench. It will resolve the issue. To be doubly sure, also get the low pressure fuel pump filter & lines cleaned.

This is a fairly common problem with diesel's running in India. The older 1.6L diesel powered VW Vento/Skoda Rapid cousins were "famous" for sudden development of this viral fever, post 45-48k kms!
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 00:23   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Before we go any further, let us be clear that diesel engines neither have spark plugs or ignition coils. Fuel is combusted by compression and not ignition.
Thank you for correcting me mate, did not realise this. I am fairly new to diesel family and head is full of petrol.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 10:57   #24
BHPian

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I'm facing the exact same issue on my petrol 2006 Civic. Cleaned the spark plugs and the air filter, but the problem still persists. I'm guessing it's the injectors, but I wanted to be a little thorough before I took it to the service center. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 5th August 2019, 13:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All

I own a 2017 Creta 1.4 D which has roughly covered around 29000 kms. Since last 2000 kms or so i feel that the car when in third gear and around 1200-2000 rpm takes minor jerks. I showed it to Safdarjung Hyundai at Gurgaon centre and they diagnosed it to a Air Filter which had massive amount of dust in it. I got it replaced. Since the car had done around 29k i also got the car serviced with Diesel filter and Engine oil getting replaced too. The car felt much better than before and jerks weren't noticeable since they already were minor.

The following day i took it to Jaipur and came back with a total drive of around 550 kms and on the way, i could still feel the same jerks.

Now, i am not sure if taking it back to the service centre would help as i have seen they are mostly interested in completing their targets and less interested in genuinely helping a customer.

Also, i had driven the car once to the lowest level of fuel- i mean i wasnt able to fill in soon after the fuel warning came up and i think there could be a case of something clogging the fuel line(not sure of any particular parts here). With a small research on the internet i am guessing a clogged injector.

Please note that the jerks are not observed when i drive the car hard (beyond 2000 rpm) or try to paddle upto 1500 rpm in standstill. There are no visible rpm drops on the meter. Also, i sometimes feel that the engine is slightly shaking when the jerks are observed but that is again too minor to be noticed in one or two trials by anyone.

Please advise if i should visit a local mechanic or FNG and how to debug this issue.

Thanks in Advance
I faced a similar problem in my 2014 Fiesta Diesel. The car would refuse to pick up RPM and power would drop significantly. Although, your problem is not as extreme as mine. Either ways, after a lot of headaches no one was able to solve my problem and thankfully it went away on it's own. I assumed bad fuel/water mixed (don't know) and moved on in life.

Typical issues:
- Dirty Air Filter
- Injectors jammed. Note that very few service centers actually clean it properly. Infact, in Ford atleast the SS is not even allowed to open it, let alone clean it. Search through T-Bhp if there's a way to check/clean the injectors.
- Bad Fuel - this was my biggest doubt and most likely the case (for me). If water entered while fueling (rain etc), I don't know how it will flush itself out (till all the fuel is consumed?). Refuel after the entire fuel is consumed. (bro science here).
- Sensors - possible that some sensor sending wrong mixture reading (or whatever). It's a guess work.
- Fuel Pump - it's a sanity check but an important one.

Hope things get resolved for you soon.

Thanks
Vibhanshu
Old 5th August 2019, 13:13   #26
BHPian

Thankyou everyone for your responses, i have started with adding 'Add on' in Diesel - a diesel additive from Indian oil for the time being till i have access to others. It will take me a few days to update here as these days due to Monsoons and insane traffic in Gurgaon, i am using my car lesser and travelling on metro. I will keep you guys posted once i do at least some of the steps from the suggested list.

Thanks Again
Old 5th August 2019, 21:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
No offence meant to anyone either.

I'd suggest starting with the simple ones first. Cleaning the sensors should solve the problem ideally.
Such a shame that I forgot this basic thing about diesel engines. Automobile semester totally forgotten. Thanks for reminding.
Old 5th August 2019, 23:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Does the Creta have a VGT or FGT?

I follow a rule of two tankfuls with Iftex D for every oil change. Lesson learned the hard way, and it has served me well. 2T acts as the poor mans (and far more easily available) Iftex D. Not as effective though.

Not really related to the problem under consideration, but it is a good idea to clean out the fuel tank every three years.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 5th August 2019 at 23:05.
Old 6th August 2019, 09:04   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Does the Creta have a VGT or FGT?

I follow a rule of two tankfuls with Iftex D for every oil change. Lesson learned the hard way, and it has served me well. 2T acts as the poor mans (and far more easily available) Iftex D. Not as effective though.

Not really related to the problem under consideration, but it is a good idea to clean out the fuel tank every three years.

Regards
Sutripta
Creta 1.4D has a FGT.

1.6D has VGT
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 12:53   #30
BHPian

I would recommend a full tank of V power to rule out the possibility of adulterated fuel before taking any drastic measures. Better to rule out that possibility before troubleshooting other parameters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks