Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 13:30   #1
BHPian

Diesel engine hesitation @ 1200 - 2000 rpm in my Hyundai Creta 1.4D

Hi All

I own a 2017 Creta 1.4 D which has roughly covered around 29000 kms. Since last 2000 kms or so i feel that the car when in third gear and around 1200-2000 rpm takes minor jerks. I showed it to Safdarjung Hyundai at Gurgaon centre and they diagnosed it to a Air Filter which had massive amount of dust in it. I got it replaced. Since the car had done around 29k i also got the car serviced with Diesel filter and Engine oil getting replaced too. The car felt much better than before and jerks weren't noticeable since they already were minor.

The following day i took it to Jaipur and came back with a total drive of around 550 kms and on the way, i could still feel the same jerks.

Now, i am not sure if taking it back to the service centre would help as i have seen they are mostly interested in completing their targets and less interested in genuinely helping a customer.

Also, i had driven the car once to the lowest level of fuel- i mean i wasnt able to fill in soon after the fuel warning came up and i think there could be a case of something clogging the fuel line(not sure of any particular parts here). With a small research on the internet i am guessing a clogged injector.

Please note that the jerks are not observed when i drive the car hard (beyond 2000 rpm) or try to paddle upto 1500 rpm in standstill. There are no visible rpm drops on the meter. Also, i sometimes feel that the engine is slightly shaking when the jerks are observed but that is again too minor to be noticed in one or two trials by anyone.

Please advise if i should visit a local mechanic or FNG and how to debug this issue.

Thanks in Advance
RaSing is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 20:12   #2
BHPian

re: Diesel engine hesitation @ 1200 - 2000 rpm in my Hyundai Creta 1.4D

Your doubts match mine. It looks like a problem of choked fuel jet injector. I would suggest getting it checked.

This is better diagnosed by a third party garage.

Service stations sometimes also suggest a cleaning of the fuel tank. I would suggest this as a last resort; after you have eliminated all other options.
SamarthMehrotra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 21:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Get the EGR also checked, it could be either injector or EGR.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 23:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi RaSing,

Since yours is a 2017 car with only 29,000 km on the odo, I would suggest you to claim resolution under warranty.

The jerks accompanied by engine shake are potentially because of momentary fluctuation in the fuel quantity injected into one or more cylinders. It could be because one of the injector solenoids is not fully opening the fuel flow sometimes. The root cause may lie in some sensor or the ECU erring momentarily.

So start pursuing a warrantee claim. At least it will wake them up to look into this thoroughly.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 00:23   #5
BHPian

Try checking and cleaning the MAP sensor - Manifold Absolute Pressure - Sensor.

This can be a quick DIY also - you should be able to locate it easily near the intake manifold once you open the plastic shroud.

Google MAP sensor and how to locate and clean
Most probably cleaning this should resolve your issue.

If it doesnt solve then, you may want to check if sensor is working properly - using a multimeter. Hope it doesnt come to that.
PM - B is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 00:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

As your car is under warranty, first check the value of all the four injectors at Hyundai. If any of the injector reads lesser value, you need to replace it. But if they find them to be fine, then i will suggest you to buy a Liquimoly rapid cleaner/diesel purge and mix it with the diesel while refueling.
After using this for around 500-600 km or a tank full of fuel, things should improve.

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-1811-Rapid-Cleaner/dp/B004X631O4?tag=googinhydr18418-21

Last edited by Samba : 1st August 2019 at 01:02.
Samba is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 08:50   #7
BHPian

Re: Diesel engine hesitation @ 1200 - 2000 rpm in my Hyundai Creta 1.4D

Nowdays fuel quality is the biggest issue. Along with adulteration, even water, other liquids, particles etc in the fuel can cause issues.

I had a similar issue with my 2010 Scorpio which was run around 90K KMs. Some people initially pointed towards Injectors issues also. Like any service center will do, they tried to tell me that there was no issues, but I did the investigation to a large extend, consulted other experts and pushed them for some of cleaning/replacements, which helped me resolve the issue.

I suggest you start with the following:
1) Get an OBD scan run on your car with live data (engine running). ODB scans can tell any issues with Injectors / fuel quantity burns in your car.
2) Clean/replace your Air Filter and clean MAF sensor. Since you had a clogged air filter earlier, its important to check/clean MAF sensor.
3) Always Fill fuel from a trustworthy/reputed pumps (it is difficult while travelling on highways, still)
4) Use some Injector Cleaners firstly, I tried with System D and STP. Refer to the Fuel Additives thread in Team BHP for more info.
5) Replace your Fuel Filter once again and see if issue is resolved/reduced. I am suggesting this again since after the last refill you started getting the issue again.
6) Possibly, clean your fuel tank and fuel lines. Even if you get your issue resolved now, push for this to be done at least during next service.

I seriously doubt something related to fuel is causing the issue. Injectors are the last thing to worry about and its not a possible initial reason for a 2 year old car run only this far. So keep that possibility for last.

Cheers,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 09:03   #8
BHPian

Raise this with Hyundai like other team members have mentioned, meanwhile i would use some good quality injector cleaner and fill some fresh fuel from a reputed bunk. Sometimes just the basic stuff can help sort issues as such.
Go for a long drive with the injector cleaner and momentarily give a good pull in all gears.I feel this shall resolve the issue. If it doesn't then you probably will have to dig deeper in to this with hyundai.
scorpian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 09:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Along with raising a complaint with Hyundai, get a bottle each of Liqui Moly Diesel Purge and Liqui Moly Diesel Injector cleaner.

Pour the full bottle of Diesel Injector cleaner in a full tank of diesel. Drive till you get the low fuel indicator. Then pour the full bottle of diesel purge and go for a 10-15km drive at varying speeds.Do not fill diesel. This step has to be done with very less diesel in the tank. If it is a clogged injector then this should solve your problem to a great extent.
sagarpadaki is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 09:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had similar issue with my Nissan Terrano, the dealers changed fuel filter, and air cleaner, and said everything is ok. Next they wanted to open up the clutch, but RPM speed ratio had no drop and I refused.
The scanner showed fluctuation in rail pressure, and for that they dismantled and cleaned the rail.
Here I decided that the ASS cannot solve my issues, and I have to find local means.

Next step was to get a highly experienced driver to take a ride with me and advise, So I took my transporters senior driver along with me, his immediate reaction was deposits in fuel pump and injectors.
The cure was 1st full tank with double dose of system D, about 50km after departing home when engine is fully warmed up, take a gradient with engine in low gear and at high RPM, gradually reaching the RPM. Which I did, most of the issue reduced.
Second step was up-shift a bit late with next tank full.
Third step a 1000km drive with token amount of 2T oil in diesel, and the same rev up to maximum in low gear. I managed a 700km business trip with 250ml 2Toil in 50 Lit diesel tank.
Now the car is perfectly normal, and accelerates like when it was new.
The 4 step is again with double the dose of system D, after which I have to change the diesel filter again.
I just inquired with Landmark Nissan the cost of a set of injectors, and the reply was 1.28 Lakhs.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 14:16   #11
BHPian

Well Thank you all for the very informative responses on this. I am thinking to make a checklist now and do things one by one starting with diesel additives to see i can DIY. The problem these days is the not so helping attitude of the ASS guys, i believe they are trained to so NOT REPRODUCIBLE until the customer gets frustrated and take up the next level escalation. In my mind i know at first they will say, sir the car is perfectly normal. When pressurized they might do some hit and trials and then again hand it over to me with no guarantee of the issue getting fixed. I have this fear that they might spoil a thing or two in the process. Also, this might need some time investment, which i may not be able to do at this point until a few days and would not like to leave the car with them.

Just hoping this checklist should help. I shall keep you guys posted . It might take some time though.

Thanks Again for all the help
RaSing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 16:53   #12
BHPian

Here is a list of things i have prepared from all the above responses and also sharing for a quick checklist for someone who might face the same situation in future
  • Using Liquimoly rapid cleaner/purge or System D
  • OBD Scan
  • Clean MAF sensor
  • Check Injector Values
  • Injector Cleaning
  • EGR
  • ECU erring
  • MAP sensor - Manifold Absolute Pressure
  • Remove the EGR coupler and drive around for a while and see if the issue you are facing happens it not.
  • Fuel Tank/Line Cleanup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Along with raising a complaint with Hyundai, get a bottle each of Liqui Moly Diesel Purge and Liqui Moly Diesel Injector cleaner.

Pour the full bottle of Diesel Injector cleaner in a full tank of diesel. Drive till you get the low fuel indicator. Then pour the full bottle of diesel purge and go for a 10-15km drive at varying speeds.Do not fill diesel. This step has to be done with very less diesel in the tank. If it is a clogged injector then this should solve your problem to a great extent.
By the way, i have this understanding of the diesel injector cleaner and how it should be used, but i have not heard of Purge and how to use it. Is it safe to use it on a car where the cause it yet not know or can it be damaging to the car as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Third step a 1000km drive with token amount of 2T oil in diesel, and the same rev up to maximum in low gear. I managed a 700km business trip with 250ml 2Toil in 50 Lit diesel tank.
Is this ok to Mix 2T Oil in diesel ?
RaSing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 17:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
Here is a list of things i have prepared
Add the following to the list:

1. Do not drive till the tank is empty.
2. Service the car in time.
3. If driving in dusty conditions, change the air filter WELL before it becomes choked.

You certainly wouldn't need to do a lot of the items on the list. But asking to identify what you don't need to do is anybody's guess without actually seeing the car. Note that abusing a car would lead to continued repeats of this situation.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:30   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, i have this understanding of the diesel injector cleaner and how it should be used, but i have not heard of Purge and how to use it. Is it safe to use it on a car where the cause it yet not know or can it be damaging to the car as well.

Yes, it is perfectly safe to use purge. It does not have any side effects.

And no, please do not add 2T oil. It is not advised to add any kind of oil to fuel in modern CRDI systems. Adding 2T in OK in case of older non-crdi diesel injection engines.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 10:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My transporter who has all 3 Tata, Leyland and Volvo trailers puts 1 Lit 2T oil in about 1/3rd tank (capacity 600 Lit), and tells driver to climb the steep Bhor ghat between Mumbai and Pune with engine fully revved up in low gear, normally 4th of the 9 speed transmission.
He does this at a frequency of about 1 Lakh km, and has all vehicles with untouched power train when he sells at 5 years 7-8 lakh km interval.
All cabbies do that in Innova Crysta 2.4 engine as it has started facing injector clogging after the 80 kph governing was introduced.
Car does smoke a wee bit for about 1000km when it has 2T oil in diesel but runs far better once the oil fully burns out.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks