Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2019, 18:46   #1
BHPian

2014 VW Vento 1.6L Diesel: Sell or Repair?

Hello BHPians

We purchased a Vento 1.6 Diesel in 2014 (the Highline model). Till now, it has served us a good 5 years, and 87,000 kilometers.

A grave mistake was made by my dad (although his intentions were good ), who got the 5th service done from a local mechanic rather than a VW workshop. Since then, my car is having small niggling issues (Had purchased a Polo along with the Vento. The Polo runs impeccable because I drive it almost exclusively and maintain it myself too).

My dad decided to take the Polo for a business trip so I had the 3-4 days with the Vento. I noticed that after 20-25 mins of driving, the AC would trip off, and the Engine Heat Up sign would flicker. Checked coolant, it was there, just below the "Min" level. Same day I purchased a new bottle and refilled it (The recommended G13 coolant I think).

Next day, the engine heat light popped up again, this time, along with the "Engine Oil" light. Immediately stopped car (it was a challenge, I was on a NH amidst heavy trucks). The coolant was down below "Min" levels. Checked the engine oil, it was OK.

Took the car to VW-NCR East workshop. I have good relations with the staff here. Turns out, the coolant was leaking due to the water pump. The prognosis I get is this:
Water Pump replacement needed - ~₹ 6,500
Timing Belt replacement needed - ~₹11-12,000
Suspension overhaul - ₹ 50-60,000
A rod that holds the shockers needed to be replaced too.

Mind you, this car was driven by my utterly miserable driver for around 6 months, who we fired later. We had to replace the Gear chord 3 months back too. The car also loads a lot of goods for some deliveries that we manage ourselves (instead of using commercial transport, with an e-way bill obviously :P)

The car body is in good condition, no major dents or scratches. Interiors are good too. (IMHO Vento has really amazing interiors for its segment, the Highline version has amazing seat fabric, the sound quality is great too).

I am considering, should I sell it? The service rep (Saurabh Sharma) told me the VW dealership can give me an exchange offer (New car for old car, pay the difference). Anybody has any experience with that? Also, I might push them for a loyalty bonus, since we already own 2 VWs and this will be our third. Any points on Loyalty Bonus from VW? In exchange, maybe I'll get the new Vento, you can suggest me that too

I know the automotive industry is down, maybe we can negotiate good prices for a new car.

Still, overall I am not of the opinion to sell the Vento, because principally, it is "decently" maintained, and in general a good, comfortable car to drive - the driving experience on the Vento is much pleasurable than say, the Cities and Vernas. But I want to make a decision that is also practical. What do you think?

Last edited by nutcracker : 7th August 2019 at 18:51. Reason: grammatical mistakes
nutcracker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 19:09   #2
BHPian

re: 2014 VW Vento 1.6L Diesel: Sell or Repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
What do you think?
You obviously really like the car, and it has held up well so far despite the recent niggles which are no biggies in reality.

It has done only 87K, I would say it'll happily munch miles till 125/150K.

Spend the 70K odd to fix it up, maybe throw in some new speakers, overall 3M detailing etc, and voila, it's business as usual for the next few years atleast.

It'll work out to only a tiny fraction of what you would spend to exchange to the latest gen Vento.
Parth46 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 19:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
A grave mistake was made by my dad (although his intentions were good ), who got the 5th service done from a local mechanic ...

I'm not sure you can attribute the mentioned issues to a general service done at an independent workshop.

Check the owner's manual to see when VW recommends a timing belt change. Suspension overhaul for a near 90k km badly run (read driver driven) car should also fall under regular maintenance.

If the rest of the car is holding up well, it makes sense to spend this much on repairs and using the car for the next 3-4 years.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 20:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

There is lot of life left in your car, please don't sell it off to butchers. The next major service may cost you about 40-45K, it is still worth keeping the car with you.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 20:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

No point selling it. VW will definitely give a laughable exchange offer, and the price of a new Vento has gone up drastically over the last 5 years. Not to mention that it now comes with a 1.5 which may get discontinued post BS-6.

(All with the assumption that you don't plan to go higher in the range to the Tiguan or Passat which are the only cars in the VW stable).
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 20:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

Dont blame the driver, your water pump and timings belt are due for replacement. Oil light might have lit up as the oil temp might have been higher
ajmat is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 21:08   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Had you checked the car before it was worked on by the FNG ? This would help to better understand how many of the replacement items are due to:

1. FNG
2. Routine / time-bound
3. Due to the driver you mentioned
4. Cumulative maintenance after usage all these years.

So, I agree with Ajmat here. And the common points mentioned in the posts here - try and keep it. These cars from a few years back were good stuff. You may not get the same feeling with the new cars.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 22:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Even assuming you spend 1 Lakh on servicing the car, it will still be a lot more cost effective, unless you upgrade when purchasing a new car. Unless you really need to purchase a new car, stick to this one
Old 7th August 2019, 22:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians

My Car is about 7.5 years old and is around 95K KMs, and I got most of the above mentioned things repaired/replaced in the last 1 year.

Here is my theory:
My wallet cursed me a lot and I mean a lot. Some of this stuff is preventive maintenance, like timing belt etc. Suspension overhaul is something that you can decide if the car feels like needing it and what individual components within the suspension you want to get changed just in case you want to bring the bill down a bill.

In my case, all I can say is, getting all these stuff changed, did bring a lot of freshness back to the car. It feels as tight as new to drive and still makes me happy. I did not go about it rationally, I just gave them a go ahead for everything they said and because of that my wallet cried a lot. But if you can rationally choose what the car needs, it should still make sense to keep the car.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 23:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A grave mistake was made by my dad (although his intentions were good ), who got the 5th service done from a local mechanic rather than a VW workshop.
German cars; Authorized workshop is best place to get maintenance work done. Only bummer is their replace not repair policy.

Quote:
Get it done. Its a known problem with VW TDi engines.

Quote:
Replacement interval is 1,20,000 Kms or 8 years.

Your car is still quite away. Do it at right interval. So not needed now.

Quote:
Ask the senior mechanic to open up suspension and check individual parts and approve as needed.

I did the same.

Quote:
I am considering, should I sell it?
Trust me there is no C-segment car which can match upto the chassis, brakes and driving dynamics of Vento TDi. Being a 2009, still a decade later its drives, brakes and handles like a dream.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 01:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:

I am considering, should I sell it?
I would keep it if i were you. Here are the reasons.

1. Only must repair needed now is the water pump. which is 5-6k. Timing belt replacement can wait for a while longer. Unless the suspensions are leaking, they can wait until the ride starts deteriorating. Even if you had to replace suspensions, i would go to a good FNG to replace the same. Replacing suspensions are straight forward and they cant mess that up.

2. Even if you wanted to sell the car, you would loose a lot more on resale because of the water pump and other repairs than if you were to repair and sell the car. Not to mention the depreciation hit you already took on with this vehicle and the additional cost you will have to pay for a new vehicle.

In my opinion, it will be a disaster to sell the vehicle. From what i can see from your post, interior and exterior is good and all you need is a water pump. i would keep the vehicle for at least a good two years before probably 'demoting' the vehicle to a commuter and using it further

Last edited by twin_turbo : 8th August 2019 at 01:04.
twin_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 02:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think most of things you mentioned are routine for a 5-6 year car that has run 87k. I'd just repair it and enjoy the car for a few more years. Big plus point in your case that you have a good relationship with your service team.

The 'new' Vento is simply the same platform and there's no major difference.
Old 8th August 2019, 09:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians

We purchased a Vento 1.6 Diesel in 2014 (the Highline model). Till now, it has served us a good 5 years, and 87,000 kilometers.
What do you think?
I do not have anything different to add to the discussion, but want to reemphasize one thing
"Don't exchange unless you need a vehicle of higher segment and 87K for Vento is not very high mileage." So just repair and continue to enjoy the car as well as saved money

P.S: I have a 2011 Rapid (~95% same as Vento) with 134K on the ODO and planning to continue till 150K.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 8th August 2019 at 09:36.
hillsnrains is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 09:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The prognosis I get is this:

My view is keep the car, what you immediately need to change is the water pump, when you do the suspension change the tires and brake pads too. The car will feel as good as new. You may spend a lakh today, but next 50K to 60K km will be just a routine service and drive.
The recommendation is too early for a timing belt change, if abuse or leaking coolant has deteriorated it it may have to be done, but the recomended interval is 1.2 Lakh km reduced from 2 Lakh km for the same engine in the european Polo.

Rahul
Old 8th August 2019, 11:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
My view is keep the car, what you immediately need to change is the water pump, when you do the suspension change the tires and brake pads too. The car will feel as good as new. You may spend a lakh today, but next 50K to 60K km will be just a routine service and drive.
The recommendation is too early for a timing belt change, if abuse or leaking coolant has deteriorated it it may have to be done, but the recomended interval is 1.2 Lakh km reduced from 2 Lakh km for the same engine in the european Polo.

Rahul
That is exactly what the Service Executive told me. That the leaking coolant deteriorated the timing belt. In his words, "You HAVE TO replace this. You have no choice." I was aware that the it's not time yet to replace it, but I had to adhere to what the exec told me.

I just got a call from VW NCR-East, and they say that the car is ready to pick up. I had given it yesterday, that was fast! Like a kid, I am excited to drive it again.

As suggested by you excellent blokes of the Team-BHP community, I am indeed keeping the car. Thank you all for your valuable advices. Any happenings with my Vento, I shall you updated.
nutcracker is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks