Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2019, 23:21   #16
BHPian

re: Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT - Gearbox failure. Recalled in other countries, but not in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
The transmission in my Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT is most probably the same transmission that Ford has recalled in the USA and stopped the sales of in Australia .
The Endeavour uses the 6R80 gearbox and not the model mentioned that has been recalled in the USA. But in no way does it mean that a similar manufacturing defect does not exist in the Endeavour as the Everest and also the Ranger shares the same gearbox.

If Ford is aware that some batches are at risk of this kind of a failure, I do hope they are forthcoming and issue a recall to those vehicles. Even if they do issue a recall, I wonder how many service centers are competent enough to do this kind of work. This is indeed worrying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
Have there been any instances of failure on a 2.2 Endeavour? Are the gearboxes the same? Can anyone please shed some light on this?
The gearbox on the 2.2 and the 3.2 are the same. The 2.2 develops far lesser torque than the 3.2 and is probably at a lesser risk of such failure.

Last edited by SCORPION : 13th August 2019 at 23:48.
SCORPION is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 23:40   #17
BHPian

re: Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT - Gearbox failure. Recalled in other countries, but not in India!

This is absolutely awful. Absolutely no value for Indian customers and their lives.

Interestingly they've recalled these cars abroad. If they had done this here, most of these problems wouldn't Bhave occured
spawnofsatan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 00:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
The Endeavour uses the 6R80 gearbox and not the model mentioned that has been recalled in the USA. But in no way does it mean that a similar manufacturing defect does not exist in the Endeavour as the Everest and also the Ranger shares the same gearbox.
The problem is with the Torque Converter and i presume that it might be shared/common between the 6F35 and the 6R80.
This seems possible given that the facelift Everest(Endeavour) and ranger with the new 10 speed transmission are suffering from the same Flex Plate + torque converter problem in the Philippines, Thailand and Australia. So i presume that Ford Is using the same troublesome torque converter with the new 10 speed gearbox .

Quote:
Ford has found an issue with some Ranger vehicles where the studs retaining the torque converter to the engine flex-plate may have been improperly welded.
We have identified a limited number of potentially-affected vehicles in the Philippines which are currently being withheld.
All unaffected vehicles have been cleared and released to our dealers for normal sale and delivery to customers.
The statement from Ford Philippines confirms that there was indeed a problem with the assembly pertaining to the torque converter and engine flex plate; the same information we received from our source who is privy to the incident.
Ford Philippines says they were able to retain the units of the Ranger (the local pre-upgrade Everest still does not have the 10-speed automatic) that were affected by the bad batch of parts before they were sold, except for one.
Source - Ford PH able to contain (almost) all Ranger units with 10-speed gearbox problem

Ford thailand has issued a recall for the Torque converter Flex plate Problem in Oct2018
Source - "Ford" clarifies measures to fix the problem of automobile gear systems

Last edited by Mad Monkey : 14th August 2019 at 00:51.
Mad Monkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 01:25   #19

Just look at the number of 3.2 endeavours that are up for sale on carwale and other portals it is astonishing. All of them are 50000 km plus driven cars. Is it possible that the owners are having issues with their gearboxes and hence selling them off to avoid further trouble ??

It not about whether they pay you 2000 or 10000 a day. Its about the principal involved that if Ford knew about the problem and did nothing about it then this incorporate malpractice and anywhere else in the world they would have been sued for a whole lot of money.

I think one of the things the government needs to do is form stricter consumer policies so that auto companies can't rake their customers for a ride like this.

Hope your issues get sorted soon or atleast Ford has the decency to man up and acknowledge that they screwed up.
devanshujasani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 13:11   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT - Gearbox failure. Recalled in other countries, but not in India!

Mad Monkey,

Sorry to hear about all the trauma you had to go through the night of the breakdown.

Good thing the warranty is still in place, So trust Bhavna Ford to bring back your Endeavour back to its glory soon

Ford India should now speak up more clearly about this issue & take a stand on a recall campaign in India as well, both for the affected cars & also as a precautionary measure for other cars.

All the best
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 10:27   #21
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT - Gearbox failure. Recalled in other countries, but not in India!

I was looking into the 3.2 finally upgrading from my Santa Fe 4WD manual. With this issue makes me cautious. I know its under warranty but still.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 20:53   #22
BHPian

Scary, this is not acceptable from Ford. Endy 3.2 AT was in my radar but now not any more. I was planning for a test drive this week but I called it off. The part shown in image is supposed to take a huge load and this is really low quality!
Old 30th November 2019, 00:51   #23
BHPian

Any updates on how your issue was resolved Mad Monkey?
Old 30th November 2019, 09:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT - Gearbox failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Monkey View Post
There are posts from other Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT owners on the Ford Endeavour India Facebook group who have faced exactly the same problem. One of them has even posted that he bought his Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT in Jan 2017 and had covered 70k kms just like mine when the transmission went bust.

Request you to please update this thread as to the performance of your Endeavour now and the issues faced.
Old 29th January 2020, 11:31   #25

Hi all.

Suffered the same just yesterday with my Endevour 3.2 At. Done 53000km. Looks like a common problem.

Regards.
akhil79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 12:32   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil79 View Post
Hi all.

Suffered the same just yesterday with my Endevour 3.2 At. Done 53000km. Looks like a common problem.

Regards.
So are they covering it under warranty? Definitely scary having one at home :(

Last edited by manson : 30th January 2020 at 13:53. Reason: Typo.
Old 30th January 2020, 12:40   #27

Yes. It’s covered under warranty. Standard 3yr. Planning to take the 4th year extended warranty.

The question for me is “can I trust this vehicle on long trips?”

Is there a way to identify such mechanical issues before hand without having to open up the mechanism thru OBD readers? Variation in sound?

The torque converter needs to be replaced and Ford india does not have the part according to the dealer.
Estimated time 7-10 working days.

Regards,
akhil79 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:59   #28

Is this a problem that might be in the facelift Endeavour 3.2 as well?
Old 26th November 2020, 15:19   #29
BHPian

Yesterday, my friend has encountered the same problem. His Endeavour went free in Gurgaon, and they had to get it towed to nearest Ford, Tanishq Ford.
- Tanishq Ford has quoted amount of 81,000 INR for the part of Torque Converter, which will be covered under warranty.
- But, they have asked for 10,000 INR for Labour Charges.

So, did @MadMonkey was also asked the same?
As, Labour Charges for this problem, that is being faced by many, as suggested from this forum, isn't fair.
DarkerThanBlack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 18:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkerThanBlack View Post
Yesterday, my friend has encountered the same problem
Which variant and year is it?

Most Viewed