Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2007, 00:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

2004 Ford Ikon 1.6 nxt repeated ECM Fuse blowout

I have a 2004 Ford Ikon 1.6 NXT and its been having a peculiar problem of the ECM fuse blowing out since the last year. This used to initially happen only on cold start, that too once in a blue moon (after being fixed each time)

First few occurances the Ford workshop guys in Kolkata said that the ECM fuse blows out indicating a faulty fuel pump. However each time within a month or two (sometimkes within a week there used to be another blowout). They even kept the car a whole week to check the problem out once. But the fuse wentout just one month from then.

The ECM fuse is 10 amps. One occurance I had replaced the fuse with a 15 amp one (on advice of the Ford workshop guys) since I had run-out on 10 amp fuses. The next day the car stalled after 10 seconds of starting and then would fire up and stall again. However after a good rev and a sudden dropping of the clutch, the sudden jerk ensured that the car stabilized again.

The Ford guys now replace the EG sensor (or something) and the condition does not return for a longer period. But so far there has been 2 times this sensor has been changed.

The last week the car stalled when cold and I was surprised to find that the ECM had a 15 AMP fuse. The revving up and jerk with the clutch routine stabilizes the car. But yesterday the car actually stalled while moving, that too while climbing the second hooghly bridge (where usually all vehicles irrespective of their stopping power go pretty fast).

Now before calling the Ford guys again and watching them change the Fuel pump as well as the EG sensor only to find the problem resurface a few days later I would want some experiences others might have had in this area enlighten me. I saw one post by @BHP that came closest to mine but it only had the stalling angle to it, not the fuse blow-out one.

They had once re-calibrated the ECM and according to them the ECM is fine.

And I am thinking of ways of blasting them for having replaced my ECM fuse with a higher rating one (a possible cover-up for not being able to trace the fault)
Old 9th February 2007, 22:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to mention, the car usually runs very smooth and powerful once it starts up.
Old 9th February 2007, 22:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

Very abnormal case. Please take it up seriously with FORD. Changing from 10 amp to 15 amp is an eye wash. This essentially means that your service center is trying out their own number at your cost.
Old 9th February 2007, 23:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wht was the full form of FORD again....Dude its sad to hear..but i think you need to take it to someone else..probably a diffrent service centre or some other garage..cause obviously the guys at this service centre dont know what they doing...
Old 10th February 2007, 00:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately in Kolkata there is only one Ford Service center. I had e-mailed Ford a couple of times regarding this earlier, each time they say they have assigned this as a matter of highest priority and I should be taking the car back to the workshop for their mechanics to attend to it.

Surprisingly sometimes that matter of highest priority is forgotten and they end up asking me what is the problem in the first place when the fuse fails to blow-out in front of them. Even if it does, after being replaced the car behaves normally. The engine diagonostics dont point out to any erratic data they say.

Its such a thing that I have no confidence in them now and I am now thinking where to take the car to. The cars still under warranty even then I am not taking it back to them for sorting out, this is the confidence Ford guys have nurtured in me.

One more thing is that parts they replace dont last, case in point is the switch for the reversing light, needed to be replaced thrice. Diverter valve for the AC needed to be replaced 4 times as AC was belching hot air. On one occasion while fixing the reversing light switch they had bent the coolant return tube and while driving back the car had heated up profusely and then there was a clicking sound. Thankfully I checked the underbody to find the rubber hose bent for convenience. I just untangled it and the temp just came back to normal.

I have complained countless number of times. The service manager does a good softening up. I have raised it with Ford customer service, but the problem is that if I have to take it back to the same workshop, the problem will NEVER be solved.

Anyway what I am looking for in this forum is that if anyone had faced similar issues, can he show me some other lead other than the Fuel Pump or the EG Sensor. This is what the Ford workshop guys should be doing, but then if they could not come up with anything new after keeping the car with them for 7 days in September. I dont think they will this time.

Last edited by 1100D : 10th February 2007 at 00:57.
Old 12th February 2007, 23:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Today the car stalled again. (I have not taken it back to the workshop, cos I am pretty sure they can't do anything other than change the Fuel pump, it is still running with a 15 amp fuse instead of the 10 amp one, so that I can verufy the results). Repeated starting attempts would start the car up and the engine would come to a coughing halt after 4-5 seconds. I come out give the Fuel Filter a nudge and start her up again, she fires up and does not stall.

Could it be possible that the Fuel Filter is clogged robbing the engine of fuel causing the sensors to trip the fuel circuit if its a 10 amp one, in case of a 15 amp one , once the fuel line is temporarily cleared it continues to feed fuel to the engine without a hiccup.
Old 13th February 2007, 00:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dude only if you take out Maaa-Bhen ka gali will they listen...
Have you tried taking it to your local mechanic...So the problem lies witht he fuel filter...but its an expensive affair...so the parts that they are changing..are they brand new parts..or used...how much is the cost of the fuel filter change...
Old 13th February 2007, 01:56   #8
BHPian

I had a smilar problem where my Ikon used to stall while running. A slight tap to the fuel tank below and the car used to fire up again. The problem was the fuel pump motor, got it replaced and never had an issue. Ofcourse, Ford A.S.S would insist you replace the whole pump as they don't replace the motor. The fuel pump would cost you 7K and the motor 2-2.5K. For replacing only the motor, you'll have to find a good local mechanic who has done this before. Good Luck!
Old 13th February 2007, 02:49   #9
BHPian

Hi i had same problem with my esteem. Its the Fuel motor that's needed to be replace for sure.
Old 13th February 2007, 09:18   #10
BHPian

Take your car to local mehanic & tell him to remove the petrol tank & check for motor & fuel lines for any leakage most probably its the motor as pointed out by other members its common problem with ikon & Ford a.s.s will insist in changing the entire pump which is not required.
check these thing out
Fuel Lines for leakage inside the tank
Fuel pump motor
Fuel Filter
and your problem should solve.
Old 14th February 2007, 20:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
I had a smilar problem where my Ikon used to stall while running. A slight tap to the fuel tank below and the car used to fire up again. The problem was the fuel pump motor, got it replaced and never had an issue. Ofcourse, Ford A.S.S would insist you replace the whole pump as they don't replace the motor. The fuel pump would cost you 7K and the motor 2-2.5K. For replacing only the motor, you'll have to find a good local mechanic who has done this before. Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Take your car to local mehanic & tell him to remove the petrol tank & check for motor & fuel lines for any leakage most probably its the motor as pointed out by other members its common problem with ikon & Ford a.s.s will insist in changing the entire pump which is not required.
check these thing out
Fuel Lines for leakage inside the tank
Fuel pump motor
Fuel Filter
and your problem should solve.
Thanks a ton to both of you for the direction. My cars still under warranty, so although this keeps repeating, its Ford that pays for it!!

Since they have not been permanently fix this, they have offerred me the 4th year warranty as well, good news for Dad who will be driving this when I leave for US this month.

However, do you guys have any idea why this keeps on happening. I mean I know this is going to work fine for a month or two, but the fuse is going to blow again, I am sure.
Is it that the Ford genuine parts (the Fuel Pump in this case) themselves are crap, or there is something else (say fuel quality or a clogged Fuel filter) that may be affecting fuel pump life.

I have the hunch its the quality of the parts thats bad, cos the Motorcraft H1 bulbs keeps fusing, the reversing light switch has been replaced thrice in the last six months.The Diverter valve for the AC has been replaced 4 times in the cars 2.5 year life. Its also the 5th Fuel Pump in the car.

Last edited by 1100D : 14th February 2007 at 20:34.
Old 20th February 2007, 23:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

I was advised by Ganges Ford workshop to bring the car to their workshop last Thursday to get the Fuel Pump replaced again. However upon spending the entire second half at the workshop I was informed that the Fuel Pump is not in stock (they scanned the car for elimination of any other possibilities), that I have to bring the car back next week. Last Saturday my car just stalled on the way to office, it created a huge inconvenience to myself as well as the other road users. However, luckily the car started up and I could clear the road. I tried calling Ganges Ford people for help, they expressed inability to help, given that they dont have a pump at their disposal. I found out that a Local parts shop had Ford Genuine Motorcraft Fuel Pump in stock and informed the Ganges Ford workshop, but according to them it does not fall under their control to procure a part from outside, even if it is an emergency and the fact that they themselves were unable to fix the problem on Thursday when I had taken the car for repairs after fixing an appointment (and even before seeing the car they diagnosed the problem to be the Fuel Pump). I had pleaded countless number of times as I am passing through a certain juncture of my career wherein the presence of the car is mandatory (as I am paid vehicle allowance, and I also chose to buy a Ford product being in Tata consultance services) but it actually fell on deaf ears.

The pump would be at ther disposal only next Thursday (1 whole week since appointment for repairs was fixed). The car now starts and stalls till the engine is warmed up. However even while moving it stalls sometimes. I am not using it. So at the mercy of public transport, our 1100D has gone for a complete restoration job (which is coming up nicely). It seems that 38 year old car is being missed badly by all of us here.

I called the Ford customer service number given at their website. The person (Lokesh) informed he appreciates that I am going through a lot of harrassment as he can see my earlier complaints in this regard on their e-mail. He gets back to me yesterday saying that the Pump has been dispatched and Workshop will give me a call today. Today I get to know that it will be thursday earliest that the problem with my car will be attended to. Back to square one.

No concern for the fact that I am being harassed by taking the car to the dealership multiple times. Although the solution is simply buying the part from an outside shop and installing it on my car! Stupid is what I have to say about these guys. A few days back they were at my feet selling me the 4th year warranty which I made a mistake of purchasing from them as my Dad has to maintain the car for the next 1.5 years I am going to be away.
Old 21st February 2007, 10:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

OT - Say what .. sell it and get the OHC VTec from Windsor Honda

Or, dump the worskshop from now on. Get all work done from outside. It will cost a bit, but you'll be less harassed. Time and peace are worth money too.
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
OT - Say what .. sell it and get the OHC VTec from Windsor Honda
You know that is a very good suggestion, seriously. Had I not been forced to go to that silly country, I would have done it.

They finally have a fuel pump today and they call me at 4pm asking me to come immediately to the workshop to get the pump fitted. As if the only darned task I have up my "whatever" is to get the fuel pump fitted on my car. Anyway what I was busy in doing is also not worth mentioning (I was sitting in a room with lots of silly people pretending to be very important).

In the morning I called the Ganges Ford workshop up, the reception guy says "sir they are sending a pump specially for you by air" as if that "air" part is going to make me go Ga-ga and forget the entire episode. However I told him that he is just shovelling bull**** as the Ford guy I called up said that this thing was coming by road not air. So called up the Ford guy and let him know about this bluffmaster friend of mine.

Seriously if u have friends who are willing to buy a ford and you know it, please introduce him to me so that he is made aware of the hassles I face from these guys even if the car never fails to put a smile on my face everytime I press the throttle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks