Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2007, 14:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Park another car next to your swift, open the hood and connect +ve of that cars battery to your car;s battery and -ve to the -ve terminal.
I believe the part above in bold is wrong.

The detailed procedure (as per my Baleno manual) is as below :
1) Use only a 12 volt battery to jump start your vehicle. Position the good 12V battery close to your vehicle so that the jump leads will reach both batteries. When using a battery installed on another vehicle, DO NOT LET THE VEHICLES TOUCH. Apply the parking brakes fully on both vehicles.

2) Make jump lead connections as follows:
a) Connect one end of the first jump lead to the +ve terminal of the flat battery.
b) Connect the other end to the +ve terminal of the booster battery.
c) Connect one end of the second jump lead to the -ve terminal of the
booster battery.
d) Make the final connection to an unpainted, heavy metal part of the
engine of the vehicle with the flat battery

Warning : Never connect the jump lead directly to the -ve terminal of the discharged battery, or an explosion may occur.

3) If the booster battery you are using is fitted to another vehicle, start the engine of the vehicle with the booster battery. Run the engine at moderate speed.

4) Start the engine of the vehicle with the flat battery.

5) Remove the jump leads in the exact reverse order in which you connected them.
Old 12th February 2007, 14:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Call battery service. They will provide a spare battery while they recharge your battery.

@ all those who suggest jump-start : Do you always carry such thick cables with proper connectors in your car ? please suggest probable methods for a person stuck in his office.

@ themag.... did you seriously think that jump start is like making your car to jump ??? LOL

@SB....good job pal. a lot of people give gyan, now you have given genuine info, thanks. Connecting the -ve to the -ve is the local mechanic's way of risking both cars. Seriously people, do not attempt these things, there are far simpler ways to get your car started again. These desparate measures are required only if you are stuck on a dirt road & help is at least 6 hrs away

Last edited by esteem_lover : 12th February 2007 at 14:59.
Old 12th February 2007, 15:07   #18
Team-BHP Support

what about push starting, is it really harmful to the car?
Old 12th February 2007, 15:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

You cannot push start a petrol car with a totally dead battery, but you can push start a diesel car.
Old 12th February 2007, 16:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
[b]Warning : Never connect the jump lead directly to the -ve terminal of the discharged battery, or an explosion may occur.
As an engineer with some knowledge of advanced electricals I find this statement intriguing.
Every car battery's negative terminal is connected to a large unpainted part of the body/chassis of the automobile, using a short, extremely stocky wire. Electrically, touching the chassis, or the battery -ve terminal is identical.

Can you perhaps explain why there would be an explosion if the -ve terminal of one battery was to touch the -ve battery terminal of the dead battery, as opposed to the body/chassis.
Old 12th February 2007, 16:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think the point is that the -ve can be grounded to the body directly instead of being connected to the ground terminal in the booster battery. i am not an engineer, but common sense tells me not to take risks unless you have to.
Old 12th February 2007, 16:31   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, not to be argumentative, but that's my point. The Battery -ve is hard connected to the car chassis.
The risk is the same na?
Old 12th February 2007, 16:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Can you perhaps explain why there would be an explosion if the -ve terminal of one battery was to touch the -ve battery terminal of the dead battery, as opposed to the body/chassis.
@Sam, as mentioned in my post, I have just quoted verbatim from my Baleno manual.
Old 12th February 2007, 16:38   #24
Team-BHP Support

The reason is not the spark, even with body there will be spark.
The reason is hydrogen. Batteries apparently can be leaking hydrogen. Thats why they tell you do not smoke near engine bays.
Whats told is the manual is to take the spark elsewhere.
You can also use 2 jumper cables for the -ve terminal such that they meet somewhere outside the engine bays
Old 12th February 2007, 16:42   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, I understand now. In that case, one should connect the positive terminal first.
If the spark is to be avoided inside the engine bay, well, if you connect the chassis wire forst and then the +ve wire, you will have the same result.
Old 12th February 2007, 17:18   #26
Team-BHP Support

use jump cables if possible and normal driving with no ac and lights should do u good if your regular running is for more than 15-20 kms a day

dont worry if you have left the car over with all electrical s off, tomorrow push start might also work, put in 2nd gear and push and release clutch and crank though will advice against it coz of all cat con issue n all

or call a battery dealer and he will come and help you out
Old 12th February 2007, 21:28   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the supporting mails. On Tuesday, I will ask my driver get me a jump cable and with the help of friend's car, I will try to jump start.

Once again thanks for tremendous support of info.

regards,
-manju
Old 13th February 2007, 22:56   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi All,

Today morning, we got help from Pratham motors, then jump started teh car using another battery, after that I ran the car for 30 minutes. In teh evening, I didn't had any issue in starting the car. The pratham 24/7 guys didn't charge anything for the service, nice of them, although I brought it from Sagar Automobiles.

Yhanks to all of you for support.

regards,
-manju
Old 14th February 2007, 09:46   #29
BHPian

one point missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I believe the part above in bold is wrong.

The detailed procedure (as per my Baleno manual) is as below :
1) Use only a 12 volt battery to jump start your vehicle. Position the good 12V battery close to your vehicle so that the jump leads will reach both batteries. When using a battery installed on another vehicle, DO NOT LET THE VEHICLES TOUCH. Apply the parking brakes fully on both vehicles.

2) Make jump lead connections as follows:
a) Connect one end of the first jump lead to the +ve terminal of the flat battery.
b) Connect the other end to the +ve terminal of the booster battery.
c) Connect one end of the second jump lead to the -ve terminal of the
booster battery.
d) Make the final connection to an unpainted, heavy metal part of the
engine of the vehicle with the flat battery

Warning : Never connect the jump lead directly to the -ve terminal of the discharged battery, or an explosion may occur.

3) If the booster battery you are using is fitted to another vehicle, start the engine of the vehicle with the booster battery. Run the engine at moderate speed.

4) Start the engine of the vehicle with the flat battery.

5) Remove the jump leads in the exact reverse order in which you connected them.
Not sure if this point has been covered. It is important to keep the engine of the car being used to jump start running.
Old 14th February 2007, 13:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Point 3 takes care of that.

Most Viewed